Staff Re-Shuffled

Dana Holgersen has finalized staff responsibilities for the 2020 season by moving tight ends coach Shannon Dawson to offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, Marquel Blackwell will move from quarterbacks to running backs, Justin Johnson will move from running backs to tight ends, and co-defensive coordinator Doug Belk has been promoted to associate head coach and will continue to work with safeties. The program has also added West Virginia defensive recruiting coordinator Casey Smithson to the staff as director of player personnel.

3 Likes

Who called the plays last year?

I think Holgs called the plays.

2 Likes

I wonder what the offense is going to look like with CSD calling the plays. He was the co-oc last year if I’m not mistaken, so I’m willing to bet it could get better since Tune will be familiar with it.

This is good that he’s giving up OC duties. Holgo seemed to do a poor job with managing the game at times last year. This should help.

6 Likes

I thought Tyron Carroer was Associate Head Coach

Edit: Never mind, he is the Assistant Head Coach. Associate Head Coach is 3rd in command.

When did he say he was giving up his play calling responsibilities

4 Likes

This staff responsibilities make more sense given the experience of each coach

What does an OC do if they do not call plays?

They coordinate the offense, you know like what pants go with what jersies.

Seriously, he could sit in the press box and give HC an idea of what is available by what he see’s from high up that isn’t as obvious at ground level. But I would imagine he would call plays. He also helps develop the offensive game plan. Did CDH have an OC call plays at WV?

Of course the title could just be that, a title for pay raise. Who knows.

There are plenty of OCs and DCs in title who do not call plays.

1 Like

like Mike Leach’s OCs. Holgs was one of them. Leach called the plays, the OC’s talked to Mike during the game about what they were seeing.

Assistant to the regional manager

5 Likes

Oh, you mean “the Assistant Regional Manager!”

3 Likes

We had Jake Spavital calling plays a couple years. Dana called them others.

I would be surprised if Shannon Dawson called plays for Dana. This is going to sound bad but he’s the worst coach on your staff. He plays more of a wingman role for Dana than an actual coach. I assure you that you would much rather have Dana keep the play calling duties over SD

Dawson, who served as tight ends coach last season, will move into the offensive coordinator role and also work with quarterbacks. Dawson has been offensive coordinator at several stops, most recently Southern Miss, Kentucky and West Virginia. Holgorsen will continue to call plays.

4 Likes

Southern Miss was an offensive juggernaut in 2018

1 Like

This is completely bizarre.

Putting that huge staff budget to good use.

1 Like

It’s a good thing for you.

1 Like