Staying at 11

That’s a tough call. 2016 wasn’t a year with much debate about the 4 teams that made it and the committee jumped Ohio State to #3 in their last rankings over a Washington team that went 4-1 against ranked teams and had just beaten a top 10 Colorado squad 41-10.

I just can’t see us convincing the committee to squeeze out Washington by beating an unranked Temple team in the Championship game, especially after Louisville lost to Kentucky the week after they played us. Even with the OU and Louisville games, our strength of schedule ranked 51st overall, well below the other 4.

I think the committee sticks us at #5 that season and we probably do what UCF did the following year and claim a national championship if one of the computer polls ranks us #1 (Good chance since no one else went undefeated that season).

8 Likes

Yes…it would have been like the “mythical” national championship days, ironically on this post, like BYU “sharing” it decades ago…:wink:

1 Like

I think that’s probably right. They would have found an excuse to keep us out. That schedule was a perfect storm for us in a good way and I think we still would have been on the outside looking in.

2 Likes

Writer in Salt Lake is in favor of a move to the American.

O’Connell: Reasons Why BYU Should/Shouldn’t Join AAC

That means a quicker rise to contention and power. If anything, being a perennial champion of the AAC will increase the likelihood that BYU is eventually invited to join a P5. Let’s say that the Big-12 finally breaks and decides they actually want twelve teams in a league called the Big 12 .

Houston and BYU might make a neat little package. Easy transition. No harm done.

4 Likes

They sound like Aggies…perennial champions !!

1 Like

Yeah, I like Army but to quote General Longstreet’s comment about a possible Federal attack as the Battle of Gettysburg was ending, “They ain’t comin’.” They have it just as they want it (21 wins in two years and the top service academy), and money isn’t the issue to them it is to most others. But BYU could reap some real benefits from joining the AAC, and ESPN could increase the value of its property. Give them third-tier rights, negotiate better bowls, and bring them into the fold. Then invite VCU for basketball, and the league is about as close to P6 as it could be.

3 Likes

These guys are taking the talk seriously and have been talking about it for 3-4 days now. Even had Aresco on today to talk to them.

https://twitter.com/BYUSportsNation/status/1144301079560986624

2 Likes

No more chop-blocking option teams!

2 Likes

Saw this on r/CFB:

The $1 billion deal has a clause that would allow ESPN to renegotiate if a member leaves, according to the Sports Business Journal. A source said the clause is specifically tied to five schools (Houston, Cincinnati, Central Florida, Memphis and South Florida), which UConn was not included.

If this is true, sounds like I’ve been mistaken and we might actually be divvying up UConn’s share among the remaining AAC members. Position would be stronger not too add a school unless they’re worth it.

5 Likes

This is correct. UCONN wasn’t one of the teams that brought the AAC value. BTW, when Big 12 vetted us, UCONN name never came up, but Tulane did…

1 Like

So much for serious b12 vetting !

1 Like

The interesting thing about that five school list is that it’s a different list than the equivalent from our previous contract, which had Houston, Cincinnati, UConn, and Temple. (Even then I thought UCF’s exclusion was odd.)

I doubt if we go back to 12 teams since we are getting more money thanks to UConn’s departure. ESPN didn’t see any value in UConn either.
https://twitter.com/MericanMania/status/1144649543184764939?s=03

1 Like

Each school is getting a portion of UConn’s share, the $7.7million up from $7million, in the tweet you posted, is my contention that we won’t be adding a school. Of all the options, only BYU is getting or will be getting close to what we’re getting and add value to the conference. They’re happy to stay independent. Don’t know if Boise St gets similar with their sweetheart MWC deal.

1 Like

Our regular deal may be better than their sweetheart deal, even after their new negotiation.

But it takes a lot to overcome the geography.

The BYU thing is picking up steam.

BYU for football, Virginia Commonwealth for basketball and other sports.

2 Likes

I wonder what changed in Provo (if true).

1 Like

How would you know? Did a BYU official say something?

2 Likes

If we left for a show in Provo, he’d be the first one on the bus and ready to ride…

• Hank Jr. “The Conversation”
2 Likes

Picking up steam as in all the radio shows are talking about them joining in order to fill more time on their shows. It does give them better bowl access, Better money from the Bowls & an easier path to a NY 6 than as an independent.

1 Like