Targeting?

Ok. Thanks. Good old NRG didn’t show the replay so I had no idea.

1 Like

Thanks…haven’t watched the replay yet.

This is a great example of why the targeting call is so bad. I don’t think it is a hit where there should be an ejection, but there should have been a 15 yard penalty for helmet to helmet. The all or nothing with it has really messed up tackling.

1 Like

To me it all comes down to if you don’t call that one then you can’t call that RTP on us later in the game. Officiating has got to be better in big games

2 Likes

I actually thought we should have snapped it faster and kind of surprised them like how we caught them offguard with the sneak for a touchdown. The A gaps were wide open for a couple of seconds as soon as DK went under center. It took a couple of seconds for the Wazzu DT’s to adjust and line up over them. Had we snapped immediately DK would have easily been able to lunge forward for the first.

If that game is any indication, this could be a reason why the PAC 12 has problems. The officials made themselves the stars and completely ruined the flow, excitement and enjoyment of the game.

6 Likes

I don’t know what you saw, but it appears to me that King dove forward and the ball was at nearly the 46 yard line when he hit the ground. The PAC 12 refs marked it at the 44 1/2 - about a foot short of the first down.

1 Like

His knee was down. The ball was clearly short when his knee touched down.

1 Like

You nailed it

Targeting should not have mattered. The hit was very late and should have been called.

8 Likes

Plainly, if NOT targeting then roughing, the lesser.

1 Like

Any time you lead with the crown of the helmet it is targeting. Should have been an easy call.

3 Likes

I’ll just leave this here…

Pac12 Has A History With Targeting (and WSU)

It was a terrible spot. But the officials made bad spots against us all night long.

2 Likes

I have given up trying to understand the targeting penalty. I might as well just flip a coin.

I’ve seen it called so inconsistently. I’ve seen a player pull up and not launch and his helmet grazes the helmet… and he gets tossed. It should have been called because King was defenseless and the WSU player decked him needlessly and his helmet made contact…

To contrast Sprewell when he laid the wood in Q1, he did it correctly, he lead with his shoulder and lead low.

3 Likes

They blow this call more than they get it right, it’s completely inconsistent. So they call on King wasn’t targeting but it was for sure roughing. They should do away with replay, the refs have become reliant on it and they get it wrong about half the time.

Come one now, enough with bad calls. This is on every Coaching staff and OFFICIALS. You either officiate the right way or you do not step on the field. Not only these non decisions are dangerous but it has potentially devastating effect for football’s entire future.
This is basic friends. Basic. Anyone else trying to argue or paint a grey area does not understand the basics of the game.
Pete Caroll is a great Teacher. Listen closely to these key points.

It is inexcusable that a group of umpires/referee do not make these calls.
Let’s face the facts. Why do we see less youth football players year after year? FEAR.
We have the tools to make the game safer. It is not only on the Coaches, players but also on the zebra crew. Clear enough?

1 Like

While I agree with your overall assessment I think there is more than just “fear” preventing kids from playing football these days. While fear certainly is a factor and parents are more reluctant to allow their kids to play out of fear of injury there are many more choices for entertainment (including sports) available to kids these days. Not only were there just 3 TV stations when I was a kid (not including PBS because I didn’t consider it an option at the time) we didn’t really have the variety of activities kids have today. Generally, athletes went from season to season playing whatever sport was on the calendar at the time. Soccer wasn’t even an option although I do seem to remember when a soccer “exhibition” game came to what I think was Colt 45 stadium and we all found it boring and wondered who in the world would want to play that game. All that to say, I don’t think we will ever see the level of interest in football that we had “back in the day” which is a shame.

1 Like

That’s an NFL rule, not college.