Temple @USF tonight. 6:30-ESPN

True, that probably played a role. I know they are working on getting an on campus stadium which would help a lot for games like this so at least they get good student turnout.

Maybe, but they haven’t drawn well for any of the three games they’ve played at home so far. Their game against Stony Brook was even worse than tonight, and that was before the hurricane.

Taggart leaving hurt, some disciplinary issues the last few years hurt, bad home schedule hurts, playing off campus in a cavernous NFL stadium hurts, and this isn’t an old program as they are only around 20 years old.

2 Likes

USF QB off target & penalty after penalty.
They are just beating teams down running.
Can they keep it up? Flowers should have slowed down by UH game.

USF defense looks fast with tons of quality players on the D Line.

1 Like

Tulane game the week before ours should be interesting. At Tulane and the Green Wave can stop the run a bit.

It’s depressing to play a college game that’s less than half filled in a pro stadium.

I try to be the guy that wants to put things in perspective because Id hate to see our core base remotely resemble UT’s core base. Who are we to mock the strength of other programs, say they aren’t good enough to play or point out there attendance when we have been there ourselves. USF is playing on a Thursday night, in a city 1/10th the size of Houston, has been a division one program for 20 years, had hurricane problems more recently than us and when they are stomping the crap out of Temple, we have to look for something bad to point out.

2 Likes

i remember the Astrodome too.

1 Like

If I remember correctly, there was an Astros playoff game and a Texans home game for that Thursday night game against a pretty bad SMU team. I don’t think USF had the same kind of competition last night. But to be fair, the poor attendance was far more likely because of the hurricane.

1 Like

SBNation’s USF blogger wasn’t happy about last night’s attendance:

“NOTE: we will discuss the attendance later. Oh, how we will discuss the attendance. Because that was pathetic, and EVERYONE is accountable. The university, fans, students
 EVERYONE. But we are focusing on the game for now.”

We were 4-0, the Texans were 1-3. If a crappy pro team and a baseball team cause us to have 20k fans show up when we are 4-0 going into our conference opener, we are worse than UT fans when we point out others having struggling attendance.

@Lawdog I have no gripe with someone that supports USF complaining about USF attendance.

Announced attendance was 24K. A Tampa Tribune columnist also wants to know where everybody was:

http://www.tbo.com/sports/college/fennelly-usf-thrashes-temple-to-stay-unbeaten-too-bad-not-many-saw-it-in/2338398

The problem is, you are the only one comparing it to UH. Making a simple observation about how bad attendance looks for a game doesn’t mean anybody is trashing a school and saying we are superior, sometimes facts are just facts. You blindly came in trying to bring UH down because of a simple comment about what the crowd looked like “That is an embarrassing crowd.” Along with the commentators of the game and all the USF writers, I am sure the school itself is even saying that and trying to figure out what they can do to prevent it from ever happening again.

You’re preaching to the choir here. I was at the UH game that night and attendance was terrible. Unfortunately, history indicates MANY sports fans in Houston would rather watch a crappy Texans team or a playoffs Astros team than a really good UH team. Also, I can attest that getting to a Thursday night UH football game for those of us who have jobs is pretty tough. I work west of the energy corridor and have to make special arrangements to leave work early enough to make it to a Thursday night game, accounting for traffic and parking. I’m a die hard Coog fan, so I’ll do that. The casual fan won’t when they can far more easily watch the game on TV. I’m not saying that’s the way I want things to be, but that’s the way things are.

4 Likes

USF AD is upset at being scheduled for Thursday night game.

https://twitter.com/torellosports/status/911242035994210304

We were conference favorites and had like four Thursday nights.
Shut it AD of whine.

6 Likes

AAC front runner gets the old Big East frontrunner rotation.
It’s great exposure. Hurricane makes this year an outlier.

I think he’s trying to pass the buck due to his own failures. USF fans are saying that their was no on-campus promotion this week or yesterday for the game.

Thursday night games have worked well for the AAC as it gives us exposure we normally wouldn’t have. Harlan is the first AD in the conference that has complained about it.

3 Likes

Didn’t we play at Cinci on a Thursday night last year? While not full, it was a raucous home crowd.

1 Like

Yes, and at home vs Louisville. Both games were among the highest rated Thursday night games of the year. Louisville game was the highest.

2 Likes