Texas Tech Ticket Count

There needs to be a complete reworking of the ticketing operations and policies at UH. The administration needs to take a hard look at the operations and policy. The operations part is the actual selling and distribution of the tickets including the management of the ticket office on line presence. We also need a true professional to (with the concurrence of the VPA) to review ticket prices (including the PSLs disguised as donations) for all parts of the stadium and single game tickets. $65.00 for 3rd deck corners or $50.00 student companion tickets is ridiculous.

1 Like

Is Mr. Fertitta involve directly or indirectly with our ticket office? It is a black and white question does anybody know?
When we have the chance to have Mr.Marketing on our side it would idiotic to not have his input. I could easily see a partnership there.

Hunter Yurachek is the one you need to talk to and convince. Fertitta doesn’t handle low-level stuff.

Seems to me we have a different person in charge every year and a different service provider every year. If we could get some consistency, that would go a long way.

Can someone close to Hunter suggest it? Has he already? Let me ask the question this way. An imaginative and successful ticket officer will be highly noticed. Everyone gains in this. We have had countless hiccups. We can always improve.

Since all of the changes to basketball and football ticketing three years ago, the same person has been in charge. He was hired from Alabama.

Well in two years we’ve had two different ticketing providers. I’ve generally had good experience with the ticketing department until this summer.

Maybe if you go with $45 or $50 you sell some more and it is a little better of an approach, but I don’t see a ton more sold. Revenue wise we probably end up the same. Do you think we would have sold 3700 more even if tickets were available for $30-40?

1 Like

This game should have been a sellout. Harvey changed things drastically therefore our ticket should have adjusted too. Did they? Looking at empty seats tells me we did not do enough.

The interest in this game was different than it was in 2011. The hype about 2 undefeated teams was just that, hype and this was not 2011. No reason to expect a sell out when there is nothing special on the line.

Anyone that thought the 11am time was going to hurt our student attendance was gravely mistaken. They filled up 7000 seats before the rest of the stadium was 1/4 full.

As far as ticket prices go, just throwing out some very rough estimates
Let’s say single ticket sales only accounted for 2500 at $65 a pop. Even with a generous estimate of saying $40 tickets would have sold 3000 more, it would have been just 60k more in revenue with the potential of being 150k in revenue lost if $65 would have been the right price point to sell out.

I think the biggest mistake we will see is how forcing people to buy mini plans will affect the no show count for SMU. SMU has never been a big draw for us and coming just two weeks off of an ugly game, many of those mini plan tickets will be on resale. Even if we crush Temple and show 35k tickets sold for SMU, I fully expect less than 30k actual attendance for the game.

With it being a “revenge” game you would expect a good showing from our fans but we can’t rely on them.

1 Like

I think that’s a feature, not a bug. 35k tickets sold with 5k no-shows is better than 30k tickets sold, which was likely the alternative.

Also the week before we were selling them at $75 with the donation of a ticket going to the Rice game. Probably sold at least 1500 at that price, maybe more. That helped the Rice attendance a lot too.

1 Like

As you said, that would be generous. I don’t think our demand elasticity is over -3. It suggests that if tix were priced at $25, we would have sold 12,100 and 27K at $15.

Still, in hindsight, since we had over 3K left to sell, a lower ticket price in the upper corners would have been good. However, would those have been purchased more by Tech fans? Does it matter? I remember that Navy sold a lot of the upper corner by the scoreboard but Tech didn’t. Did Navy bring quite a few more fans than Navy or did UH fans bring more Tech fans to the game or sell tickets to Tech fans? The TV shots of Tech fans were with pretty small angles.

Probably one thing we could all agree on, there should have been two price tiers. Something like $65 from goal line to goal line and $50 in the corners and the end zones. Even if $50 seems high for the corners, it still gives a “value” feel to it by being a cheaper price point.

1 Like

We’ll be lucky to announce 30k for SMU unless they give away a load of tickets to students. SMU, even with the revenge factor, isn’t a draw for us.

Astros, more than likely, will be playing a playoff game that day as well which will eat into attendance.

Hopefully, we can win the next three and get some hype going for the Thursday Memphis game.

1 Like

I’ve suggested this to the AD for a couple of years now. Trend has always shown that those tickets don’t sell well for normal games.

Is it normal to take this long to announce the tiime of the games?

If the SMU game is in the afternoon I think we will get more than 35k

Yeah. Game time is generally announced 12 days prior to the game.