The Baylor scandal hasn’t kept Kendal Briles from the recruiting trail in Texas

That’s my fear

2 Likes

I am not familiar with this lady and her story. She seems to really have it out for Briles. At the point it is almost an obsession. Why is the athletic department letting her have media access if she is going to try stir trouble. I trust Renu, and see her as a highly smart and respected woman. I trust her alot more then a journalist who is on a personal mission. My perspective is that if a story becomes personal you our no longer a journalist. Journalism is supposed be unbiased.

2 Likes

She’s not a journalist, she’s an activist. She attended Oregon State and was raped by multiple football players while there. Since then, she started speaking to college football teams about sexual assault and her story. She has gained a following online and has spoken out whenever there is evidence of sexual assault within a football program (Baylor, Michigan State, etc).

She has come to Houston to speak to the players the past two years and has generally had nice experiences. When she went to Baylor to talk to them two years ago after Briles was fired, she was pulled aside by an unnamed assistant coach who proceeded to yell and argue with her about how the charges were BS. She has claimed that she doesn’t believe that Baylor has turned over a new leaf. She has also publicly stated that she is against the Briles hire at UH and has been against any hire of a Baylor coach at any University.

3 Likes

I think it will be OK. Her ability to get her message out depends on the public’s willingness to listen. Right now, her story is seen as powerful and honest, so it’s seen as a great way to educate people. If she goes into all-out attack mode, a lot of those doors will close.

I could obviously be wrong, but I have to think that Briles was consulted to some degree before the invitation was extended. This could be something that helps him separate himself from the Baylor trouble if it’s handled right.

1 Like

Maybe Renu needs to sit down with her, and talk to her before she speaks to the team, just to see where her mind is. Renu is a great leader from what I see. Maybe she could even convince her and Briles to sit down and talk as a mediator. UH doesnt need this to blow into something more then it already has.

1 Like

I’m a proponent of briles replacing applewhite after next season but even still briles should have no input about any contrarian view brought into campus. That reeks of undue influence in the oversight process, even if it’s just a guest speaker.

If nobody talked to him about it, then that’s a stupid approach. It’s not his place to approve or reject the visit, but he should absolutely be part of the discussion, because he’s going to be a big part of it. “Undue influence” has nothing to do with it.

And the idea that Applewhite should be fired and Briles hired after a season that hasn’t yet been played is absolute insanity. Lol

1 Like

I did not mean that Briles shoud be able to approve or reject Tracy’s visit. Of course Briles should have no say in the matter. I meant the AD and Renu should step in if this starts to become a hatchet job. And maybe Renu should talk to her privately first to make sure she does not try to start a fire storm, and on second though the idea of having Briles and Tracy both meet with Renu is probably not a good idea either. Probably need to keep them as far away as possible when Tracy is on campus.

On this subject Briles frankly just needs to be head down, mouth shut. Take the lumps, or say whatever contrite thing Khator tells you to. There best case for KB had always been, he was in the dark about the whole all the dealings he knew about the situation but he trusted his dad.

Kendall has no credibility on this issue, when your credibility is based on “no evidence tying me to the actual crimes”, he should probably just stand there and take his lumps, and his dad’s b if they come up.

Yep! The same guy except I don’t hold the level of bitterness that you still hold on to.

His criticism of the program was directed at Maggard. As far as leaving the program as he did? He could have done a much better job, but my guess is that his relationship with Maggard was so bad, he just wanted to get out of Dodge. Sumlin also left the program before the bowl game, as well as Herman. My guess is that A&M and UT wanted both of them to start immediately with recruiting.

Speaking of recruiting…Briles didn’t take our players. The players didn’t have to go. They have free will. They chose Briles, not Baylor. If Briles had left for North Texas, they would have followed him.

Great fit for Baylor? Sarcasm noted. I could care less about Baylor, but Briles took a beleaguered Baylor Bears program and turned them in a championship caliber team.

After Pardee leaving us for the Oilers, Jenkins leaving in disgrace, Helton leaving…thank God, Dimel leaving…thank God II, Sumlin leaving for A&M, Levine leaving…thank God III and Herman leaving for UT…

nothing bothers me anymore about a coach’s decision to leave and I’m still amazed the reaction of some fans when a coach does decide to leave.

1 Like

Enough with the Jenkins disgrace comments. Do you have a personal vendetta against him or what? Why are some of you bent over backwards with Jenkins? Give us one good reason. We all know who was pulling the strings behind our probation(s) The same BS happened to Mr. Yeoman. Do you also hate Mr. Yeoman? The fact that he accomplished a 10-1 Season in the SWC is IMO the biggest accomplishment by any Coach that we have had. You don’t agree? that is fine. I am ok with that. I was in School at that time. I can tell you first hand that our then administration wanted to EXTINGUISH our entire football program. They hated sports and football in particular. Why do you think Mr. Pardee left? He knew that his ultimate goal to win the National Championship was not feasible under the influence that uta and atm had. You betcha that I believe that we can become another Alabama. That is why we have not been in a P5 since the SWC imploded.
Scott Frost, the UCF Coach taught everyone that you can leave a program with class.
Briles went to baylor. Where is baylor located and which player do they recruit?
scumlin went to atm. Where is atm located and which player do they recruit?
juda herman went uta. Where is uta located and which player do they recruit?
I am not naive enough to think that the way the three mentioned above did not have an agenda. Of they did.

2 Likes

She does have an agenda. Any university that allows her to speak is asking for trouble if all does not go her way. Her dislike for Baylor and the fact she cannot get over them??? Cannot trust someone with such a personal and vengeful vendetta as she obviously has against BU. Very unprofessional.

1 Like

I understand CKB is bright but we all need to keep a leveled head regarding expectations. The only variable that he will control entirely is play-calling.

Kendall & Brenda in the same room? I’ll buy the PPV

5 Likes

For the younger posters here, BABs hated Uncle Dave, and was looking to eject because he didn’t want to work with him anymore. He had interviewed at Iowa State (among other places) before getting the Baylor job.

Nobody disputes that Uncle Dave was a tough guy to work for. Usually it worked out for the best (forcing BABs to hire a legit S&C coach after the Kansas debacle in Fort Worth, etc.). But BABs wanted to move on. Que sera sera.

1 Like

I’ll chip in for that PPV, should be a good blood bath

This is correct. When Maggard forced Briles to fire some of the coaches (it was also the DC), the writing was on the wall.

But Lawdog, Briles’ boys were using UH money and facilities to recruit for Baylor while still at UH. Briles was going to leave his whole staff for the bowl game, but Maggard literally ran them out of the UH football offices when he found out.

Madam K also found it difficult to work with Dave.
Look who is still here.