The Houston vs Texas A&M Matchup

Breakdown of the Game

Players:

Starters
Wade Taylor IV ; 6’0 all-american pg, elite scorer
Tyrece Radford ; 6’3 driver, 16pts per game (missed our 1st game)
Manny Obaseki ; 6’4 driver, normally 6pt per but unstoppable vs Nebraska
S. Washington ; 6’7 Athletic, Rebounding junkyard dog
W. Leveque ; 6’10 260lbs center (doesn’t play heavy minutes)
Bench
Jace Carter ; 6’6 Wing, Driver
H. Coleman III ; 6’8 245lb (get most of the center minutes)- low post monster
A. Garcia ; 6’7 Wing, can shoot
Hayden Hefner ; 6’6 Wing

We’re on upset watch.

When the bracket was revealed, I mentioned that this would be could be our toughest match in the bracket, and I still believe that:

• They are accustomed to our style of play, so our toughness won’t shock them.
  • They finished the second half of our game in the season on a dominant run.
  • We are short on players—unlike the last game. they are very good at drawing fouls.
  • They are currently on a hot streak.
  • Jamal publicly admitted he struggled to guard Wade in the first game.
  • Their #2 player, Tyrece, didn’t play in the first game. (and it was a close game)
  • They are an elite rebounding team, and we’ve been conceding a lot of offensive rebounds (They are #1 nationally in offensive rebounds).

We are not the underdogs:

• We struggled in the second half but it was still a game WE won.
  • Outside of Wade and Taylor, they are a poor shooting team.
  • Wade was exceptional last game, a performance that would be difficult to replicate.
  • They match up well against us, but overall, they are not that great of a team.
  • Game film showed we missed many make-able shots in the second half.
  • they are not a good passing team
  • Many of our players have improved since that game.
  • They have good individual defensive players but are they not cohesive or good defensive team.

(Example of the missed shots in the A&M 2nd Half)

Game thoughts:

• We desperately need Francis to avoid foul trouble. In my opinion, this is the biggest factor for this game. They’re a dominant rebounding team that scores primarily by driving. Having a dominant rim protector who can rebound is game-changing, especially when the backup lineup consists of four guards and Jwan.

• “In Sampson we trust” - they may be familiar with us, but now Sampson is familiar with them. They shut us down in the second half, but their defense isn’t strong. I have faith in Sampson to dismantle their mediocre defense now that we’ve played against it .

• Our players need to make their shots. They have good individual defenders but are weak as a cohesive team. With effective ball movement and picks, our guys will find themselves open shots. I trust Shead to facilitate open looks, but LJ, Sharp, and Dunn need to convert those opportunities.

Game prediction:

It’s rare for a #1 seed to be this motivated to face a 9 seed, but i think that will happen on Sunday. Jamal Shead has acknowledged how he struugled with wade, our players will come out motivated to make sure that doesn’t repeat. We are the better team and will come in motivated.

With such a weak shooting team, we can likely shut down their initial attempt offense. Sampson noted that in the last game, they resorted to hero ball, and it worked. I believe they will likely have to resort to hero ball again (we won’t let them drive). With that there’s a large variability in potential outcomes for this game; either team could secure a big win. If Wade goes off and they capitalize on offensive rebounds against a smaller lineup (because Francis got in foul trouble), they could win big. However, I wouldn’t consider that highly likely in odds-making.

Then there are ways we win big, that are more likely. When teams can defend the post (which we can) and Wade isn’t making his shots, their offense is actually quite poor (scoring in the 50s). I don’t believe Shead will allow a repeat of the last game with Wade dominating. Then Francis’s ability to stay in the game will be crucial, and we know that going into the game, I believe the coaches will prepare him to avoid fouls. If not, Lath will need to have an impactful game in rebounding and motivate Sampson to keep him in.

Prediction: We’re on upset watch but I still expect us to win if I had to bet.

66 Likes

I love you, pesik

8 Likes

Survive and advance. In CKS and Shead I trust. Hopefully, our offense can avoid any extended funks and we win by a comfortable margin

5 Likes

This will be a good match up.

1 Like

Let’s hope Wade has a bad shooting like he did when Memphis beat them in Collie Station by 12.
I think this is the game we get that ugly taste of the Iowa State loss out of our mouths

2 Likes

I expect this to be a close game. Hopefully, not a close as the last one. It would not surprise me if A&M won. If I were a betting man, I’d go with the Coogs.

2 Likes

Another thing to note, Damian Dunn wasnt Damian Dunn when we played A&M

7 Likes

This game is gonna be a war.

I liked what I saw from Lath tonight defensively. 3 blocks! And he’s strong as hell. No one is moving that man backwards.

The X factor is Roberts. We need him to score a bit to free up the outside shooters. Tonight he played but he almost seemed like a decoy. If he can’t bring it Sunday the way he did the last time these teams played, this game will be a tough out.

Then again, it will only get harder and harder moving forward, especially without a healthy Roberts.

4 Likes

Roberts was 3/3 for 7pts and 5 rebs. He didn’t have to play extended minutes so seems like a normal Roberts game to me.

I think we will need big minutes from Lath. He is the answer to keep Henry Coleman from camping out for rebounds

9 Likes

Our starters are more rested then A&M

4 Likes

Actually we pulled away during the 2nd half. We controlled A&M for most of the game. They had a freakish rally when Taylor started hitting crap from deep. The hot streak caught us by surprise and wasn’t necessarily that Shead struggled to defend him. He made some ridiculous shots and we made a couple mistakes giving him the looks.

3 Likes

The biggest concern is rebounding. Francis is a very good rebounder. Roberts is elite when healthy and he is not. Lath is not a good rebounder. Ramon can be the difference in rebounding.

1 Like

Mylik will make a difference rebounding and defending their guards. He didn’t even play in the previous match-up, and he’d been our leading rebounder in several recent games. Walker didn’t play in the previous match-up, either.

We obviously need Francis to stay in the game and be effective. We’ll need to attack the glass with all 5, but that’s kind of our thing anyway.

5 Likes

I would argue this whole team wasn’t what we are now. Biggest one might be Shead, conference play is where he really broke out

5 Likes

Good stuff. Even more important that we got Walker back. Should help with battles for rebounds.

6 Likes

Shead said he struggled to defend him and wade got the best of him., from shead himself

And We were up over 20 5 mins into the 2nd half, and they had the game tied with a minute to go, I’m not sure how that is pulling away… sharp hit 2 clutch 3s but I’m not sure that is pulling away

2 Likes

Remember when Texas Tech was red hot in the Big 12 Tournament…then the played the Houston Cougars and looked pedestrian.

Isn’t Tech a better squad than the Aggies, record wise and playing in the toughest conference (B12)

1 Like

Tech had depth issues too. From what I understand, Aggies are a full strength.

1 Like

I don’t think this game will be as close as people think. I think COOGS play to their competition on the other side of the court. I think UH has something to prove right now to make a statement. Losing to A&M would be a slap in the face.

I think UH goes off Sunday night

8 Likes

It is always what if. What if we had Arceneaux and Tugler. It would have become almost an unfair competition.

2 Likes