The moral of this story

That wasn’t a consensus that I remember.

That was the official line. Many people didn’t buy it.

2 Likes

What choice was there? You can’t force a player to play if he doesn’t want to. I don’t think you fill out a form with the NCAA to redshirt. You just don’t play.

1 Like

Uh…since when do coaches not use redshirts to stack the deck for future seasons? Lolololololololololol

2 Likes

As far as I know, that’s the whole purpose of a redshirt.

1 Like

Given that he will be working in his 5th offensive scheme in 5 years and that the team he went to is coached by a defensive minded coach…we’ll see how it goes for him !

Personally, I just don’t think his skill set fit into what CDH wants to run.

1 Like

He’s a young man and was doing pretty well here prior to hurting his knee in the Tulane game. He read a lot about himself, was told a lot by others and probably assumed that he was the one for Holg. Maybe a personality conflict, maybe a skill set issue, perhaps his ego was hurt. That said, he may not have ended up a starter for us next year. I just think there were better landing spots for him than Miami. Or stay at UH, see how that worked out for Allen.

No one knows for certain… but I think when we were losing, and he wasn’t playing that well… family got involved, and I doubt Dana was cuddly about it all. I think it was not about X & O’s but coach/personnel/dynamics.

3 Likes

I truly think it was over for him in the 4th Q of the Tulane game, when he missed a wide open receiver in the back right quadrant of the end zone. We were sitting on the 50, 20 rows up, and his ball flight was a direct line between us, him and the WR…the pass sliced horribly out of bounds, and the receiver leaned out, but couldn’t stay in bounds…

At that moment, in hindsight, I think he was done. I wish the best for him, but that instant was a culmination of missed opportunities.

2 Likes

You know what is crazy is that in the 4 games D’eriq played this year, he had more rushing attempts than completions in 3 of the 4 games, all 3 of which we lost. The only game we actually won with him playing quarterback is the 1 game he completed more passes than rushes, which was the PV game.

For one reason or another, he struggled in the passing game. So much so that he started to rely on his feet to make the plays on big downs which was a recipe for disaster. On some third downs, he would look at one receiver and if that receiver wasn’t wide open, D’eriq had already predetermined he was going to take off and try to pick up the first down with his legs. As great as it was seeing D’eriq score 50+ touchdowns his Junior year, it might have pointed to a tendency of his where he doesn’t rely on his teammates to make plays when it matters.

2 Likes