The reason that the Little 10 should invite U of H into the conference

The B1G doesn’t really think outside the box when it comes to geographic footprint and AAU membership though, or at least, they never have in the past (Notre Dame is literally the exception that proves the rule in that regard).

Rutgers and Maryland, as I mentioned, both fit neatly within their “box” of AAU membership, state flagship, and adjacent to the B1G’s then existing geographical footprint.

2 Likes

I think our best “chance” is the AAC keeps getting better and better.

3 Likes

Baylor drew well when they were bad and we still don’t.
Baylor was also politically powered. The Bears have one of the top hoops programs in the country along with an elite women’s program and they have big money donors who give back to the school.
UH and TCU picked the wrong time to struggle athletically

1 Like

baylor drew so well they replaced their 60,000 seat stadium with a 45,000 non expandable stadium

UH is gaining power in the Texas legislature and if the SWC broke up now with the big 12 on the line , things could be different. It’s why Gregg A etc were supported of us last go around.

Never said they could fill their stadium, just that they have always drawn better than us even in bad times.
And don’t forget that we went from 10k Hof to 7k Fertitta

1 Like

That’s encouraging to see. But it was from July 2016.

1 Like

You bring Michigan and Ohio state in here and folks from Houston are coming to see. Not to mention the rest of that bunch.

1 Like

Again, I very much appreciate the analysis, and your conclusions.
Again, this is 2020.
Never say never😃

1 Like

True Fact, we Almost played Baylor in 2020… :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

2 Likes

Uhhh…Texas has some of the highest property taxes in the Country.

2 Likes

But no 13% state income taxes.

Let’s face it, politicians are going to raise money for CRAP they think we need underwritten by lobbyist who are pushing/selling that same CRAP !!!

1 Like

agree…2023 and 2024 still a ways away and THAT is when PAC 12 and B1G come up for renewal…I like our chances with PAC 12, where a consulting firm they hired recommended expanding EAST at next opportunity, which would be 2024.

1 Like

The PAC 12 will most likely still be in “covid mode” in those years !

2 Likes

I believe there were 2 different firms and 2 different multi million dollar reports generated, both concluding the same thing…to survive and to remain competitive, they HAD to expand East.
This is why their Idiot Commish is “retiring” next year, as he is totally opposed to the obvious conclusion…

1 Like

Next realignment is our LAST chance, if we don’t get in our program won’t survive and most of us won’t live long enough to have another chance if realignment ever happened again

1 Like

I would think that SMU rebranding themselves as “Dallas” is based primarily on asking the PAC to consider adding them along with Houston for their Texas market penetration.

[NOTE: In the PAC footprint, there are generally 2 teams from each state. And I don’t think that Texas Tech would join us in a move to the PAC unless UT leaves the Big12.]

6 Likes

Hmmmm…you have a point, WoodMarkCos!!! :thinking:

I grew up in Houston (Meyerland), graduated HS in’83. UH was considered a commuter university at the time. Local students who could save money on dorms by staying at home. My sister earned her MBA from UH while living at home, and enjoyed her time there more than at TAMU. It was not considered a first choice of a lot my classmates. We live in a suburb south of Houston. We come up the back way to campus and I have never felt afraid or uneasy about driving to visit Derek when he lived on Cullen, and I have driven by myself multiple times. The area is growing and becoming revitalized. I wish others could look past that “urban” mindset.

6 Likes

Grew up in that area. Do you know that most of the people that stayed there, when I was growing up, were great people?! There were some bad apples, but most were good folks. When I moved to the Southwest Side of Houston by the early 1990s, I felt more unsafe there.

3 Likes