The reason that the Little 10 should invite U of H into the conference

51, the AAC is clearly the “best of the rest” conference. Better that the other G’s and not a P5. We have routinely 3-4 teams ranked and send almost as many players to the NFL as the Big 12 each year.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/756151963947892736

I think there are more UT grads than not that want UH involved in a P5. SWC was fun.

3 Likes

Yes, just like Basketball…we can do it.

4 Likes

I like our conference.

Declining interest in The Little Ten.

3 Likes

Never going to happen with UT there. Abbott’s comments were political only. UT simply had the out of state schools carry their flag : No UH

4 Likes

Wanna bet?

3 Likes

I don’t think we will ever be invited to a power 5 conference. Let’s just accept that. The recruiting area around us is a hot bed. Tcu was an amazing program from 2005-2011. They lost a total of 13 games during that time. They lost 14 games in their first two season in the big 12 and comparing the overall losses from their 2005-2011 mwc run they lost 27 games overall being the big 12. Tcu hasn’t been the same since joining the big 12. They weren’t a power in the swc. I however, think uh would compete.

3 Likes

This comes from the students that I spoke to while I was there/wearing UH gear around campus (these students share the Simon Bott sentiment, but being a graduate student is the exception lmao).

I did leave that program but many wanted to see more games with UH. Lots of ‘Oh when my Mom/Dad was here they played all the time!’

Edit: By on campus I meant during my short time at the Austin Cow Pasture.

1 Like

Our best opportunity to get with the big boys was 2015 and the Big Whatever played us and others like drums.
The reason we didn’t make it when the SWC broke up was our poor performance on the field and even more so our lack of fan support.
I have said this many times, it is not a tradition for future generations of Cougars to become Coogs. That is just the way it is.
If going to P5 happens no one will be happier than me…I just don’t see it happening.
We simply have too hard of a time getting fans and students to buy in…so why should any P5 group?

4 Likes

Not playing Ole Miss is not that big a loss and when we beat them over there, they were just flat terrible. One of our band members told me the Ole Miss fans were just down right brutal. They stopped to get something to eat and some young lady came up to my friend whose name is also Ray and said these words, You ***racist. To which he responded I think you misunderstand the term, the people who allow black people to be on the football field are the ones who are not racist and the ones that don’t are.

1 Like

Follow the money:
Property taxes in California have shot up by almost 50% in the last five years. That is a fact that is undeniable. Since 2008 over 700,000 Californians have moved to Texas.
What do you think is going to happen in 2021?
More people leaving California? It means that California taxes will keep increasing.
Who is it going to benefit and how?
Primarily Texas and Florida.
Arizona passed proposition 208 that is anti business. That means that AZ too will have businesses moving to Texas and Florida.
Most of the Californians that have moved to Texas and Florida are middle income families. They usually love sports and will attend games.
How does that compute with U of H? It only plays in our favor. At some point the BIG, PAC or even ACC will knock on our door. They won’t be able to ignore us very much longer. The same can be said for UCF.
The small12 WasteManagement truck is driven by utau. The second that same garbage truck stop servicing its area the small12 is no longer.

2 Likes

That is a good point, however, how did Baylor get in then? Then sucked for generations and had tepid support from Waco and they are the only game in town?

1 Like

The B1G won’t come knocking until UH becomes AAU.

Hopefully we’ll either attain that OR get an invite elsewhere.

Even if we do attain AAU status, the B1G still likely won’t come calling simply because the B1G has never expanded outside of its contiguous geographic footprint.

2 Likes

What is the criteria for AAU status? Why does this organization have so much power?

I think the only conf that cares about blocking UH for recruiting reasons is the big12. The other 4 would look at it as an advantage for recruiting Texas if UH was in their conference. Plus ESPN has a say and it’s a new market except for the sec. Sec would only do it to take control of the eastern part of Texas for recruiting.

1 Like

For whatever reason, unless the name of your school includes the words “Notre Dame,” the B1G has never offered an invite to any school that wasn’t both a) an AAU member at the time of invite, AND 2) either within or immediately adjacent to the B1G’s existing geographic footprint.

UH is neither, and is also not a state flagship (a trait shared by 13 of 14 current B1G members).

That makes the B1G less likely than any other P5 conference to give UH an invite.

As for the AAU itself, membership is highly prestigious, and generally indicates that a school is at the highest level of research excellence. 52% of doctorates, 67% of postdoc fellows, and 63% of National Merit Scholars are at AAU schools.

Only two NCAA conferences: the Ivy League (Division I), and the University Athletic Association (Division III) can boast of having all members with AAU credentials.

The B1G used to be able to boast the same. Unfortunately, Nebraska got kicked out of the AAU shortly after joining the B1G. Had Nebraska been kicked out of the AAU only a few years earlier, it likely wouldn’t have received a B1G invite.

4 Likes

You pose very valid points that UH doesn’t fit the “typical” invite mold of the BIG invite. However, I think UH overcomes the AAU standard by virtue of its Research and the new Medical School.
Being THE State school will never happen (just ask ATM), but the BIG tends to think long term and WAY outside the box. Look at languishing Maryland in the ACC, and the abysmally languishing Rutgers…
They took a well reasoned bet on these programs for the future.

The future is UH in a P5. Question is who blinks first, PAC or BIG…

1 Like

Yes but both Rutgers and Maryland are flag ships and have a boat load of subscribers

Both are AAU members, both are state flagships, and both were adjacent to the B1G’s then existing geographical footprint.

They checked all of the blocks, and on top of that, help the B1G to enter the NYC and DC markets.

Their invites were a “no brainer.”

4 Likes

Our best chance is pac12 or Acc but the big does look outside the box which means they can overlook other criteria. They want large population areas with new teams that don’t seem to threaten their established powers which is why Maryland and Rutgers were added.

1 Like