This is what concerns me

Forgive me for starting yet another realignment thread but it’s a little more specific concern.

I heard Rick Neuheisel this morning say he wouldn’t be surprised if B1G picks up Iowa State (they’re looking really good in football right and they are AAU which I didn’t know) and Kansas (true and historic blue blood in basketball) to get to 16.

That got me thinking.

Then there goes the Big XII. Good right? Well, not so fast, my friend. What happens next?

PAC gets Tech, Oklahoma State, Kansas State and BYU to get to 16. No G5 need to apply.

ACC gets Cincinnati and West Virginia to get to 16.

There’s your 4 conferences of 16 each that everyone has been talking about. Notre Dame stays independent because they can.

Notice in that scenario, Cincinnati is the only G5 moving up (I consider BYU a hybrid) and it’s because they’re really heating it up at the right time (football & basketball) and have done a nice job with facilities, and no attendance problems, thus no problem or shame for the ACC to get them.

Now where will that leave the AAC? Picking up Baylor, TCU and 3 other schools to get to 16. Then you can just shoot me. :scream_cat:

This is not all that far fetched but someone please pull me back from the ledge.

On a related note:
I’m beginning to hate the number 16 as much as I hate the off-season.

1 Like

doubt very seriously that pac will take byu so there is still one slot open

3 Likes

There are too many possibilities right now to do more than just overall worry. It’s just not worth worrying about particulars. Poop does run downhill so even though we are better than most of the remnants, it may not matter. This is why we should join any p5 whenever possible, no matter how bad the current situation. Get under the tent ASAP

Also, any dream of the AAC exerting some sort of dominance are straight pipe dreams

1 Like

I’ve said this on other threads. I would be shocked if other conferences expand (PAC, ACC, BIG) at this time. This is all lining up for ESPN financially with the big 12 collapsing and teams moving to an underpaid conference (AAC). ESPN will likely discourage anything that gets in the way of the plan.

In 4-5 years, I can see the PAC expanding, just not now.

1 Like

The tx/ou move was a shock. Now it’s hard to be shocked

ESPN won’t get them to dissolve for less money. If they get the big12 to merge into to the aac, it will be after all the remants with any real value already tucked into a p4 conference

Why not now? Their TV deal is up for renewal, and the Big XII leftovers are just sitting there ready to be poached. Wouldn’t now be exactly the time to make a move, if they were going to?

1 Like

That’s true, oldtime and the only hope we have in that scenario.

But except for the religion issue, BYU beats us in all phases of bringing value and that’s what has me worried.

Was it really that shocking? We on this board and everywhere else for years predicted TX and OK would jump ship. It was a matter of when and where.

1 Like

Rick Neuheisel is spitballing. Everybody has to say something, and if that something prompts people to tweet, email, call, subscribe or just howl at the moon, it accomplishes its task.

The SEC going to 16 means zip to the other conferences other than the two most coveted, available properties have been bought. A few curses at the PAC offices, but they couldn’t afford them anyways.

Banging the drum about realignment fills the next few weeks until the games start, and then you’ll hear a lot of stupid comments during the game broadcasts that you wouldn’t make if drunk. Nobody is paying for a market they already have, or doesn’t bring their own value. We just saw how much the Orphaned 8 bring on the open market.

If, for example, the B1G masterminded USC and Oregon to their conference. Why would we then join the PAC? The airline miles?

1 Like

Nope, just the timing

We join any power conference at any time unless we think there will be no more shuffling in the future

Yes, Neuheisel is spitballing but he’s not as full of it as some of the other radio heads. He’s also about the only one who ever mentions us in any realignment conversation. He’s on record as saying Big XII screwed up royally by not getting us and Cincinnati in 2016.

Byu won’t be accepted to the pac bc religious issues so there’s 1 spot open under that scenario.

2 Likes

I’m not going to pretend to know all the in’s and outs of conference payout structures. It is becoming clear that ESPN financially benefits from relegating big 12 teams to the aac more than a PAC expansion at this time.

This also does not appear to be some well orchestrated multi-conference reset for the ages. UT and OK wanted to bolt to the SEC, called ESPN they think it’s a great idea. In order for it to make $ense the big 12 needs to fold into the lower paying aac. That appears to be all that is happening at this time.

1 Like

A complete overhaul of the NCAA is about to happen. JC go ahead and jump , it’s over

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1421206393588264964?s=20

I don’t know what’s going to come out of this but I expect college sports will never be the same as a result… and definitely not for the better.

5 Likes

One result will be conferences deciding more for themselves. Governance is key. The NCAA is basically toothless, so they are throwing in the towel. Which they will have to pick up themselves. :slight_smile:

1 Like

NCAA will be lucky if they get to be puppet governors after this. I’d be less surprised if Warren and Sankey just showed up, knifed all of them and installed themselves as kings of college

Sounds like P5-1 may get their own Division.
:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

No way the Pac takes BYU

3 Likes