This is what concerns me

Whaaaat?
Not sure how to respond to that. I’m just passing on what I’ve read. It doesn’t seem way off base. We know ESPN was brokering to dissolve the conference, you think they could do that by just plain offering them AAC spots? That makes no sense.

Curious why you think okst and isu being second fiddle is some kind of good point. What fiddle do you think we play in the state of Texas?

Johnny:

Is it possible that we get the shaft again? Sure is. Perhaps even likely. What’s past is prologue.

But I am still going to yank you back in off that ledge.

As a said in another thread. UH is a survivor. We have drawn some bad lots. We manage with less, we beat the bigger and the monied with less.

We are not UT, we are not A&M, we are what we are.

We are Cougars born, we are Cougars bred, and when we die will be Cougars dead.

(I know that is another schools tune, but I like it)

4 Likes

I do think that’s the deal, that ESPN wants to merge all the Big 12 leftovers with the AAC. The sell will be that they’re going to raise the payout to 12 million or so, that the conference will have a NY6 bowl, and that if they don’t take it, well, good luck finding a new home in four years.

1 Like

UT and OU will probably have to pay the B12 something, probably not the $60 mil exit, but something. This will make the remaining 8 a cash cow until 2025 when no TV will be granted, so they then go to ZERO. The AAC has ESPN money until 2031. You don’t bite the hand that feeds you.

ESPN and FOX are going to pay them $35 million per team once the OU and UT are gone.

I don’t see the PAC taking K State over us either

3 Likes

Well, despite being in a non-Power5 conference that makes 6 times less than a Big12 school UH has done a lot more than most of the Big12 schools have done and they not only get a hell of a lot more money each year than us, but a hell of a lot more exposure and prestige than us as well. So my point is that just imagine how much better we would be than them if we get the same kind of money and exposure as them if a Power5 conference picked us up.

People like to point out that UT and A&M have way bigger fanbase than us, but that may change in a major way if UH starts getting the same kind of money and exposure that they got. Once that happens the UH fanbase would not be that much smaller than those two schools nor could they say that the OK States, Iowa States, and Kansas States of the world would be any better than UH. In fact, I am positive UH would be a notch or two above those latter schools if UH were allowed the same kind of resources and opportunities to shine like they do. So, for that reason, I think if the PAC 12 were to expand it would be better off for it to pick UH rather than OK State, Kansas State, Iowa State, Tech, Baylor, etc. Not only because of the fact that our TV market is actually bigger than theirs, but because UH has shown that it could shine way more brightly than those other schools if given the same resources and opportunities to compete in a level playing field. Plus, if the PAC 12 takes Tech, it only makes sense for it to take UH as well to fully capture the Texas market. It makes no sense for the PAC 12 to attempt to capture a state like Oklahoma that has a population less than half the city of Houston! The potential that UH provides is simply greater than most of those left-over Big12-4 schools, there’s no doubt about that!

4 Likes

That is why the utau pimp is hand in hand with the rodent and puts enough pressure on other Power conference to keep us down. The PAC12 IMO is by far the best option for us. The utau pimp will do everything to stop the PAC12 from inviting us.

2 Likes

The Big12 is sustainable for the same reason the AAC survives. None of its teams have a better place to go.

The ACC, Big10, SEC, and PAC 12 all distribute between 30 and 50 million to their teams. Every school left in the Big12 wants out because they know their next tv deal with no UT and OU will plummet down somewhere between 9 and 15 million per team. That tells you that no school left in the Big12 is worth 30 to 50 million—-meaning that none of those teams can be added to any P5 without reducing the payout to its existing members.

The BIg12 will have 200 million in exit fees, autonomy, and a bunch of NCAA credits. Like the shell of the old Big East, the B12 will survive—-they just won’t be a P5.

If they are smart, they will take the top 4 from the AAC and will carry on as a near P5 conference. They will have a bunch of recognizable brands, decent geography, a bigger footprint, and a presence in 5 major media markets. It will be an interesting, fun, unpredictable top 5 football league with a lot of parity——and it will be a fantastic top 4 basketball league. Their football champ will make the 12 team playoff most every year.

It will be a darn good media property—it just won’t have any blue blood king pin football programs. Because of that—-it will make less than the P4.

4 Likes

This is entirely correct.

I don’t think they’re quite this smart (I think they’ll take two), but this is how things are going to go I think/fear.

1 Like

I believe PAC should absolutely take Houston, TT, OSU and Kansas. Chris Level said TT is working with OSU as a package deal where it benefits them. This brings more new markets, the central time zone, and opens up new recruiting areas.

1 Like

UCLA has seven Texans on their roster
Stanford has twelve
Etc. Etc.

Playing in texas has never been a selling point for recruiting.

I am not saying playing in Texas is a thing, it definitely helps with brand awareness. Growing up, Colorado pulled a lot of kids out of Texas and had success on the field. There is a reason UCLA would play us at Robertson and Arizona played us here as well.

1 Like

Regarding some conferences, maybe.

The Big12 might very well take BYU over us for that reason.

But there is NO WAY those Left Coast liberal PAC-12 schools agree to take a school with BYU’s homosexual conduct policy, nor will the PAC-12 schools take a school like BYU that isn’t R1 (BYU is R2).

That said, there is still no credible evidence that the PAC-12 is seriously looking at expansion.

I agree with 97.

Get what enjoyment you can from the distress of the Big XII.

Worried about the Big 12 taking two AAC programs - and not us - because I think there’s a really good chance of that happening.

Worried about taking the Big 12 taking three AAC programs plus BYU because that’s a notably more damaging scenario.

(I think if they take four from the AAC, we’re in. Unless they do something really wild like take Tulane, but losing Tulane does not hurt us so it’s like taking three.)

No way to stop them from taking UCF and Cincy over us.

But let’s hope not.

I’m at the “Should we take UAB or Marshall?” phase of pessimism this morning.

Taking only two would just be plain dumb at this point, which means that is probably what they’ll do.

But UCF over us? They are a smaller tv market and geographically dislocated. That doesn’t make sense. I would worry about BYU and Cincy more than UCF and Cincy.

1 Like

The rodent will be the new overlord to the Big XII. They will tell the Big XII whom to invite if they have any real hope of having a future contract.

Are they going to get $30-$35M per year after OU/UT leave? No. If the Big XII doesn’t extend an invitation to UH, they are pretty much ceding the state of Texas south of I-20. Hardly anybody in SE Texas cares about TCU, OSU or TT unless you’re an alumnus. That’s a big market. Now, if the rodent figures that it doesn’t matter to them if you’re watching SEC or Big XII football as long as you’re watching one of them, that’s a different sscenario

2 Likes