This is why we need to join the small12/BIG12

If Big 12 teams are coming to the AAC it is precisely because ESPN has over paid our collective value to do so. It would greatly benefit us to have an upgraded deal locked in long term which makes the AAC clearly the 5th best conference. Not sure why you are so scared of ESPN, but they will most likely buy the new Big 12 contract if they are the ones able to steal some AAC teams. Just no guarantee it will be any good.

3 Likes

Because being the 5th best conference means nothing if espn has the power to ensure we get underpaid and never have access to the playoff.

2 Likes

I kind of feel like that ESPN likes the AAC and would rather us add the left overs of the Big 12.

2 Likes

Only if they can’t add more teams. The MWC is sitting right there…

1 Like

The scenario where Big 12 teams jump to the AAC means ESPN has already overpaid everybody to get them. Couldn’t your argument be a better fit for not going to the Big 12? A pissed off ESPN doesn’t even negotiate for that conference and Fox low balls a bunch. ESPN who controls the playoff makes sure the Big 12 has no guaranteed spot. If they pull off Big 12 teams going to the AAC it will be because of more money and better access to the playoff/bowls that they control.

Also we are already in the AAC and there is no guarantee Big 12 expansion would include us. There are 3 Texas teams who can vote no and keep us out. More risk for UH hoping ESPN fails in killing the Big 12.

ESPN likes money and would rather have more of it than less. That is why they prefer the AAC over the Irate 8.

3 Likes

But also why there are some pretty firm limits on how much they’re willing to pay to make that happen.

Fox will offer the tiny 8 $5 million per team lol

What makes the most money for the leftover 8 schools?

If leftover b12-4 teams leave for other conferences, collapsing the whole conference which might lower or void completely UT/OU potential huge exit fees, can they make up that lost revenue in their new conference? In ACC, B10 maybe. Pac 12 maybe but less likely. In the AAC, highly doubtful.

Inviting new members to remain a conference could very well be their best path financially speaking short and long term.

If there’s anything in the XII that Fox wants to keep, they’ll probably get Pac or B1G invites. I doubt the XII itself gets a deal of any real substance.

1 Like

I agree, ESPN/FOX/CBS isn’t the problem. Just like amazon and Walmart aren’t the problem, the people who watch ESPN/FOX/CBS or shop at amazon and Walmart are the problem. If they stop watching/buying, the networks will stop paying so much for the product. They are just giving them what they want.

I am going to put this clip in every thread. Make the Simpsons UH and you have our take on ESPN/Disney

I prefer the South Park version of Mickey. This gives an idea of the meeting with the Big 12 leftovers. Beware of language.

1 Like

Muhahahaha the mouse and the big 12

I’m thinking more than just one team. Get back up to ten, probably.

“Bylaw 31.3.4.1” is in reference to automatic NCAA tournament bids, which wouldn’t be an issue here since they would have earned bids. The Big East did not have 6 teams that had been together in 2013 and 2014, but it didn’t matter because there were earned bids (or maybe we got a waiver)

The AAC did not have a championship football game during that time, so I don’t know how or whether the two-year rule applied there since we were already ineligible. I can’t find how the two-year minimum relates to conference championship games.

I do very much agree that they should be more proactive (I think they should add six teams, TBH), but I don’t think a failure to do so results in a conference collapse. I think it just makes for worse options than they would otherwise have.

1 Like

So much blame is going to ESPN. The real culprit here is the NCAA. I’ve asked this question a million times and still can’t get an answer:

What gives ESPN the right to decide who does and doesn’t make a playoff they self appointed themselves as King of? Only logical explanation is that the NCAA is in bed with the mouse.

Nasty. Just nasty!

I used to think that way. I now truly believe that the renewed interstate rivalery is a win/win for everyone.

I believe, it’s because the playoffs aren’t sanctioned by the NCAA. It’s ESPNs contract for the bowl games that are identified as the “playoffs”. And get real, the NCAA is just a empty organization collecting a paycheck.

Nope if espn pulls it off it’s because they want to ensure those schools never become a threat again. Also putting them in the aac ensures that they will never have to pay them what they are worth.

ESPN will never properly compensate the aac and there will come a day were we wont have the power to fight it. Staying in the aac means giving espn the power to ensure that our school is never relevant in football again.

1 Like

You sound like you are in full on conspiracy mode. The leftover Big 12 teams aren’t worth much. The AAC is not worth much. There are other networks that confirm this. Or is Disney/ESPN running Fox, NBC, CBS, AT&T, Amazon, Apple, and Google as well? All of those companies could step in right now and offer the Big 12 a fat new contract starting in 2025. Why aren’t they?

3 Likes