This is why we need to join the small12/BIG12

Deleted the previous post, I read the sections inaccurately. The more relevant section is 20.02.5

20.02.5.1 Minimum Number of Members. A multisport conference shall be composed of at least seven active Division I members.….

20.02.5.4 Continuity. A multisport conference shall establish continuity. To establish continuity, a multisport conference must meet the requirements of Bylaw 20.02.5.1. In addition, the conference must meet the requirements of Bylaws 20.02.5.2 and 20.02.5.3 for a period of eight consecutive years

20.02.5.5 Grace Period. A conference shall continue to be considered a multisport conference for two years following the date of withdrawal of the institution(s) that causes the conference’s noncompliance with the minimum multisport conference requirements

For FBS

20.02.6 Football Bowl Subdivision Conference. A conference classified as a Football Bowl Subdivision conference shall be comprised of at least eight full Football Bowl Subdivision members that satisfy all bowl subdivision requirements.

That too long, but they cannot afford to lose any more members.

I am curious what the next round of TV contracts looks like, I think it will surprise most people. Obviously no service is going to step up and offer a fat cat contract when there is a current contract in place. I don’t know the current contracts but if I remember from the last contracts there is a exclusive negating period before an open period at the end of the contract for new contracts. HBOMAX paid $425 million for the exclusive streaming rights for Friends, Amazon paid $200 million for the rights to The Tomorrow War, Apple TV paid $80 million I think for the movie Greyhound. At this point live sports is one of the main reasons people even have cable anymore. Once the streaming market gets over saturated who is to say sports don’t become the way to boost subscriber numbers.

They aren’t doing it because espn doesn’t want them to. And if it’s because they aren’t worth much as you say then thats even worse. It just means espn is trying to put all us worthless schools together in order to ensure we never become worth something that could threaten the sec.

1 Like

We couldn’t threaten the SEC with shotguns and body armor. Nobody is gonna overpay for games people don’t watch. People watch the SEC. In fact, the SEC Network has two channels that even as stand-alone properties are worth more than our entire conference. No conspiracies, just naked economics.

1 Like

20.2.5.1: They can meet that as long as they replace the departing members quickly enough.

20.2.5.4: 20.02.5.2 and 20.02.5.3 relate to the sports conferences offer, and some of the rules within that (such as round-robin scheduling). They should meet this requirement as long as the Big 12 replaces the departing members quickly enough.

20.2.5.5: This suggests “quickly enough” is two years after the departing schools depart, which gives them a little breathing room.

20.2.6: Same as the others – just replace the departing members in time.

So basically what you are saying is it’s time to accept that UH will always be second class in football and never be allowed to compete at a level that allows us to win a National championship.

Another thing people forget is if we don’t get into a power conference UH will not be able to afford a football program in 10 years. This is our last chance and unless the aac gets a $20 million a year TV deal we better start enjoying our last few football seasons.

1 Like

I mean depending on this constitutional convention the NCAA is having… Maybe. We might have missed our window, 30 years of averaging out to meh will do that.

Ultimately, all we can do is as much as we can for as long as we can.

The new CFP expansion will likely give us a chance to compete if we are good enough to snag a spot. UH will always have football. What level we compete on is a question for down the road, but at some point we may not be able to afford a viable FBS program. Jury is out on that.

You assume that espn will allow the new format to exist in a way that gives us a chance. Remember espn controls the playoff now and its in their interest that we don’t have a shot.

1 Like

To the contrary, the CFP is designed to have a David vs Goliath format, just like the hoops tournament. It is great for drawing eyeballs. Upsets increase interest. Who doesn’t like to see the underdog win?

The AAC is not a competitor of the SEC and in most years, the other conferences in football. The SEC schedules teams like UH for homecoming games. But that doesn’t mean we can’t win one game. No conspiracy is necessary. But, if you are convinced the forces of the universe are arrayed to kill off lower-level football (they just don’t want to pay very much for it, not kill it) who am I to dissuade you?

We’ll get a shot in the new CFP. ESPN doesn’t hate UH or the AAC. ESPN owns the rights to the AAC and stands to benefit from an improving conference.

With that said, the playoffs will be weighted in the traditional p5 conferences favor with more p5 teams making the playoff, better seeding and first round byes.

2 Likes

Who WILL get screwed is the 10 win program in the AAC or MWC who is ranked in the top 12 but loses a close championship game (thanks Sumlin). That team will lose a playoff spot to a three loss LSU.

3 Likes

Calling that have a close loss is key revisionist history.

I agree. I was just making point and felt the urge mid sentence to hate on sumlin. It was not a close loss for us in particular

Well that is unfortunate and depressing. Makes more sense but at what point did the NCAA even attempt to say “hey man, what are you doing”? In other words, there has to be some form of regulation. I find it extremely silly a broadcasting company can set the standards/rules/criteria for college sports. The whole depending on ESPN for payouts for broadcasting of a university’s game(s), is not symbiotic when they can do what they want; it is leaning more on the toxic, codependent side.

They don’t decide basketball, they shouldn’t be given so much power in football, but here we are I suppose.

Since Big Tech controls our news media why would it surprise you that Big Tech controls our sports media?

ESPN likes the AAC because they knew we were just a pawn to try and get UT / OU out the Big 12

1 Like

What planet do you live on? The cfp is a P5/sooner to be P4 cartel controlled by the rodent. Even if we had finished undefeated since the cfp was created we would have never been in the cfp. The cfp is not based on sports merits.

What is it that you guys can’t understand? It’s crystal clear on whom is controlling the cfp and most of the power conferences.
Understand this for once and for all. The cfp does not want G5’s schools. This new cfp format had bowlsby in the middle of it. Now bowslby is crying at the rodent.
Do you think the cfp is going to say:
“Upon further review we will keep a G5 spot for the NYE bowl but the cfp will be based on sports merits”
Stamp it, flash it, send the news to your college football friends. This is the next announcement coming near you. This might be this ncaa meeting real agenda. Sanction an official cfp.
Make no mistakes friends. Right now the way it stands we are in the ditch. Our best hope is for amazon to step in and start acting like a bully and sign up power conferences…like the rodent did.
amazon to save college football as we want it as to act like the rodent. I got to tell you that I am less and less optimistic. Sobering it is. The Austin capitol politicians got/keep getting paid off.
Friends this is college football that we should be writing about not about hostile take over or mega mergers.

1 Like

Don’t insult me. It is a worse look for you than it is for me.

7 Likes