Time Travel from TDECU Stadium to Robertson Stadium

I don’t live in Houston anymore. In fact it has been nearly 15 years. I was perusing Google Maps/Street View to reacquaint myself with the campus.

I made my way to Scott street to see TDECU Stadium. Exactly what I expected to see…

Then I decided to navigate closer and BAM! Blast from the past and it morphed into Robertson Stadium…

Up close with the old man…

Who remembers pregame here…

Let’s go inside…

Wait for it, Palm Trees!

I remember many games during an 0-11 season my freshman year from here…

Anyways, thought I’d share and you can navigate around and zoom in for some hopefully fond memories of the place.

Please paste google map/street view links for anything else you find.

15 Likes

She was a tired old lady but she was one tough venue. I still miss her some days.

16 Likes

I watched the Oilers play there in the early ‘60’s and saw many high school games there.
And I remember moving our games back on campus and how excited i was.
Yep lots of fond memories there but it was time to flush them old commodes forever

4 Likes

Made some great memories there.

4 Likes

Ha Great share! Man I still remember my first tailgates as a freshman, back when they allowed kegs. Met alot of my long times friends in the student section while being toasted in the sun!

Canopy! :rofl:

3 Likes

Is that the engineering pavilion i see? lol Robertson had great Art Deco features, if we had the money, renovation and expansion would have been very, very awesome. Too bad, there were too many distressed areas to make that viable.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing it!

1 Like

I remember the first year they moved back to Robertson from the dome. Those teams were so terrible to watch. We’d park in the parking lot in front of MSM and there would be a total of 10 cars all die hards with cheap seats tailgating and throwing the football.

1 Like

Palm trees and the Houston skyline.

Two of the things about Robertson’s character that I miss the most.

9 Likes

Time travel

1 Like

I liked Robertson, obviously too old to keep, and wish they’d replaced the East and West stands with new, larger ones. The place had character. TDECU is sort of meh.

2 Likes

I was a big fan of Robertson’s Art Deco look, it could get loud as hell, and we surely had some great times there. But it was sorely lacking in amenities. Even the basics were pretty bad, like the bathrooms and concessions. And I got to go into the “luxury” suites one time. They weren’t much more than plywood boxes with what looked like second hand carpet. I’ve seen nicer deer blinds.

I disagree about TDECU, I like the modern design. Somehow they still managed to screw up the restroom ventilation, but otherwise I think it’s a huge upgrade. Haven’t been in the suites, but photos are impressive. The concourses and concessions are a massive upgrade.

I think the only thing that TDECU lacks is more GREAT FOOTBALL. For me it just doesn’t have the fond memories that Robertson had. I’ve got some great memories from TDECU (AAC Championship, Memphis game, Louisville game) but we need a few more, and soon.

4 Likes

what, no pics of the “luxury” boxes???

1 Like

I don’t have a photo, but here’s a close facsimile:

9 Likes

The possum sitting up in the conduit is my favorite Rob memory. My son looked up and saw it and my Dad and I laughed so hard.

Robertson was loved because they played all types of games in there and track meets for pennies on the dollar and at one time you could walk in there and workout with no issues.

Now TDECU is like a fortress with little activity

I remember parking within feet of a stadium entrance. That sure changed once CKS got there.

Robertson Stadium, what many don’t understand, opened as Public School Stadium resulting from the WPA program (damn those communists). It was a tribute to the great high school football that was being played in the Greater Houston area. Up to that point, many games were played at West End Park and even Buff Stadium. When “Robertson” was leveled, it was the silent end to a Golden Age of Houston/Texas high school football history, supposedly something that we exalt and treasure. You see my user name “busseycoog”. That’s even a tribute to an incredible superstar from the 30’s that I would venture to guess 99% of you would not even know of.

1 Like

Miss Robertson mainly for the tailgates. TDECU tailgates cannot compare to what we were building with Robertson. If we hadn’t re-oriented the stadium, it’d be perfect. :sob:

Still, I like TDECU. :yum:

4 Likes

Johnny Cougar: The linked story of the first football game in the Dome and Howard Twilley’s great performance made me think of your nephew. A receiver of average speed but with great hands can make a difference on any football field.