Time Travel from TDECU Stadium to Robertson Stadium

We used to park our cars on Holman close to Scott and set our base camp between two large trees. I loved the night kickoffs because you could set up around 11 to noon and have several hours of tailgating. Hours of talking football and eating.
Tailgating has to be one of life’s greatest pleasures. Even eating cold hamburgers after a win taste great.

1 Like

I miss Robertson because of the friends that I sat with who are no longer with us. I hated to see it come down, but honestly it was time to go, TDECU is so much better.
Great memories though.
Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

So many great memories at the Rob…Red Veselka’s BBQ was always so much fun, and so very appreciated…

Trivia Question: Okay, it was named Robertson Stadium (after One of our great benefactors, part of the Cullen family)…

What was its Original Name ?

Public School Stadium

1 Like

My dad always called it Jeppesen

Yeah, but it was like Public School Stadium No. (__)….I think number 4?…

I loved playing BB in Jeppesen Fieldhouse in the 80s. It had that old school charm. Like I was in the movie Hoosiers

1 Like

Wow, lot’s of good memories in the Rob. Makes me nostalgic.

The “Rob” had a certain personality, really enjoyed it at the time. Was awesome to bring Coog Football back on campus… But it is tough to beat TDECU, we love the place. Great seats, great friends, and great atmosphere. We will be there Saturday.

3 Likes

Lost a lot of brain cells at that stadium. Loved a packed Rob but tdecu is a giant upgrade. Do miss the palm trees.

1 Like

2 things about the “luxury boxes 1) there were no stadium seats, if you wanted to be part of the crowd you had to yell through windows, 2) in order to get to your respective box, you walked through other people’s boxes…oh, one more 3) the a/c were window units.

And I miss it. Trill to the bone. Either hold it down or move around.

3 Likes

Not only a lot of great football memories from Robertson but also a lot of concerts there - ZZ Top, Alice Cooper, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Beach Boys, Black Sabbath, along with many others.

2 Likes

Man, that Beach Boys/Black Sabbath concert was NUTS! When Ozzy came out in the Hawaiian shirt… :joy:

Other than air conditioned rest rooms and a few more elevators, the only thing that TDECU really needs is a NEW NAME. I know the money’s good, but can someone or something outbid it when the contract is due. If I win the lotto, “STEALT STADIUM” would be a great name.

How about Yeoman Stadium? I know the University wants money for athletics but UH Football would be nothing without that man. Hey it could be Chevron Yeoman Stadium and I’d take it lol.

1 Like

Loved Robertson. It was time for her to go but so many great memories there. Far more than at TDECU.

Lots of reasons for that - team success, stage of life (I was a student when we were at Robertson), and I no longer live in Houston. It’s not all about the stadium for sure.

It always seemed like a packed Robertson was one of the loudest places. Maybe it was my imagination. I love TDECU and glad we have her. She will never replace the Rob for me though.

2 Likes

I thought so too…but TDECU is even louder in my opinion. We just haven’t had the success and crowds to bring the roar to TDECU for over half a decade now.

1 Like

Naming rights are soon up for renewal. TDECU has the first dibs to extend it by 5 or so more years. Easy millions for UH.

1 Like

The Eagles played at Robertson in 1975. Elvis appeared in Hofheinz more than one occasion.

This little pottery model sits on my desk😃

10 Likes