To Moderators: concerning politics

Smart people on the board on both sides of the issue…I agree 100%

The average poster had an advanced degree. Some posters had several advanced degrees.

Almost all were well read.

Several were leaders in their business and/or profession.

They knew their economics, Religon, literature.

This is not a joke. I am talking about the entire political spectrum with everything I said above.

And one more thing. All good Coogs (even those who weren’t coogs).

However, and I love them, but the amount of mental illnesses was extreme (perhaps even myself).

You needed a Copy of DSM-5 just to navigate your way around the place.

1 Like

Nice jobs RTCoog and HCNY. Your dipictions accurately represent the environment that was created on the political board.

If people want to have a political board to debate two or more sides politically of issues in today’s society, more power too them. Go for it! But when you look at the objectives of sports boards associated with universities, the stanard objective is to bring people together to share as a community to support the sports teams of their university. When you have a political board as part of that mix you are creating an environment that goes against those objectives of supporting the sports teams. As some has pointed out, it created relationship issues between political posters that spilled over onto the sports boards in a counter-productive way.

When you look at the life of the political board, I can remember it getting shut down 4 times including the final time and the first three times were because the board just got out of control. It seems like a failure to me. I wouldn’t be surprised if there isn’t hard feelings between some of those posters today even after several years. In fact I know some of those feelings still exist. What is the value in that outcome? None at all!

1 Like

u mean the, “well, what about…” response to a topic…

That pretty much sums up how you felt about it.

Ehh … A lot of college sports message books have politics boards. Overall I probably would vote against a politics board, but to some degree that’s because the UH sports online community is smaller and more insular. Aggy and UT boards, for example, that include political forums probably have thousands of posters. Not true of UH boards, plus I think think some didn’t like the old board because their beliefs got shredded, as many beliefs can be by analytical reasoning.

1 Like

You make a good point about the size of the UH community. I’m here because of UH sports. I didn’t leave all the times the political board was shut down. I just don’t believe it fits well with this sports community. It isn’t a positive contributor to the community.

Me personally, I use to love that board at times, but after almost 2 decades I realized it isn’t a good way to spend your free time. I don’t want to waste my time that way anymore. I know if it is here among our sports boards that it is just to tempting to re-engage in that waste of time.

1 Like