Tom Penders slams B1G and PAC for not playing, praises AAC

Have you researched your last statement? There are health experts that have conclusions, so far, that completely contradict your personal health conclusion. Even thought it is a small number as compared to the whole, I wouldn’t wish to take that risk that would affect the rest of my life.

“We have very strong, serious concerns about the potential for covid to affect athletes cardiovascularly,” said Michael Emery, co-director of the sports cardiology department at the Cleveland Clinic. “When you look at covid in general, there seems to be a higher predilection for involvement with the heart than about any other virus we’ve seen.”

Emery said cardiological experts worldwide have published five or six significant papers regarding covid-19 and athletes. “All the papers agree that there should be a heightened level of concern with this virus and cardiac involvement in athletes,” Emery said. While the specifics and suggestions of how to manage the risk differ in those papers, “the overall level of concern is greatly there.”

Dean Winslow, an infectious-disease doctor at Stanford University, said research has shown as many as 20 percent of people who recover from covid-19 show cardiac abnormalities."

3 Likes

“Begin its nosedive” is insane. I don’t think anyone would argue Penders turned a program in great or even decent shape over to Dickey after he got pushed out given APR issues and not much talent in the cupboard.

However, the 3 coaches before Penders made 1 NIT combined and had 2 winning seasons combined. There wasn’t a nosedive that started with Penders. He briefly interrupted the nosedive by making 2 NITs, 1 NCAA and 2 CBI’s.

2 Likes

Penders rescued us from the oblivion of the Clyde McBrooks era and got us back to the NCAA tourney.

He gets accolades from me!

Dickey…OTOH…what a disaster. All that blue chip talent that went on to star at P5 schools after they transferred,…and he could only get like one CBI bid. We were losing to dang SWAC and Southland teams under him.

Glad Sampson came along!

4 Likes

I think he’s saying Penders made UT good at the same time our program was nosediving. That contributed to our issues. He’s also saying Penders ran a corrupt program there.

Not that I agree with any of this.

2 Likes

What Penders did at UT didn’t cause OUR issues. Had nothing to do with them, actually.

Our own bad coaching hires caused our issues.

So even if that’s what he meant to say, I still think that his post is totally wrong.

7 Likes

Tommy had to deal with horrible facilities, which directly affected our recruiting. He did a fantastic job, given our limitations.
One thing that Tommy absolutely did not do (this is from my many conversations with him directly), was to deal with the street agents peddling talented kids…
He did it the right way, with honesty and integrity.
Trust me on this, I know first hand.

7 Likes

Bussy, unless you can prove he ran a corrupt program at UT, you are guilty of libel. Tom ran a clean program here and there is no reason to suspect otherwise at UT. With all of the advantages at UT, had he ran a dirty program he would have had more to show for it.

Just because he took a job at a place we don’t like doesn’t make him corrupt. I suspect most of our posters would take a job at a highly rated company for a great salary. He wasn’t trying to screw UH, he was just doing his job.

3 Likes

My interpretation as well…

Thanks for the translation. It (sort of) makes more sense in those terms. I was thinking he was talking about TP being a double agent or something which is only slightly less insane.

Penders made Texas basketball which I guess indirectly dropped us down a peg, though we did that more to ourselves. But being mad at him because he did a good job there would be incredibly foolish.

He did some dumb stuff his last year there that effectively caused a player mutiny that lead to his firing and had the deal with the phone card at GW. Other than that I’ve never seen anything remotely credible accusing TP of having a corrupt or cheating program. He was one of the most anti-AAU coaches in the country.

4 Likes

Please explain.
Penders has for years been supportive of our re-inclusion into a P5.

2 Likes

Dexter Cambridge. Cash kept in the freezer. Belittling and demeaning the conference at every opportunity when UH had a really good team (Outlaw, Mack, Upchurch) and he held sway over local and national media “cuz he cometo down here and shewed us Texins that they was new hoops wit holes in’em, not jest peach baskits”. I doubt any of you critical of my post would know anything about the Cambridge incident, and then later with Axtel, without having to first look it up. I lived in Austin during his tenure at Whornville. Tom was showed the door at UT in the most innocuous of ways, so as not to bring down the entire program. He ran a mafia like program with his henchmen Oren and Compagnie there to take the fall. His lingering “affection” for UH is based on UH being his Elba, nowhere else to go.

Oh please red80, get the pleadings together for the libel suit.

I am sorry that you have such an axe to grind on Tom…WHILE he was a UT…
He was surely the ONLY coach ever in UT history to have loads of cash, media darling hype, and systematic Payola already in place for him and his players…

I focus on what he did for UH. And how he continues to be a VERY strong Advocate for UH, which IMO truly comes from the heart.
I can name only two other UH coaches who were unceremoniously “shown the door”, and who remained Advocates for UH…

Yeoman and Lewis.

Pretty good company, if you ask me…

Not to the same level, but John Jenkins and Tony Levine have had nothing but positives to say about UH.

1 Like

You do know that the one being sued for libel has to prove his claims and produce varifiable evidence. Rumors and examples of previous actions at other places are not considered proof. However, being that I’m not the offended party, I would not be the one to file such a suit.

I’m just warning that claiming something is one thing and proving it is another. You can think what you want and say you think someone did something; but to say he actually did is another matter. For the latter, one must have proof in case of a law suit. However, I doubt Penders gives a flip about things posted on boards.

I forgot about Cambridge. Not sure if that was him or just the booster but if you have more info I welcome it. It’s pretty at odds with how he treated the AAU scene once it became more powerful with placing recruits.

I definitely remember the Axtell incident along with the other stuff in his last season and offseason that justifiably lead to his dismissal. It was a mess and he attributes a lot of his failings to coming back immediately from a heart attack. There’s a lot of he said/he said with it too, though. He also blames and disliked Dodds immensely, which should buy him some cred around here.

In terms of “belittling” the conference are you saying that Penders was belittling the SWC while he coached at Texas? I’m not saying you are wrong but I followed the conference then and don’t remember that at all. It would also be kind of weird. He definitely hyped up CUSA while he was here.

Sounds at most like he played the game that was being played at the time. Claiming he’s responsible for the nose dive of UH basketball, is laughable. We blew up our athletic programs all by ourselves no help from the horn needed.

I don’t remember Guy being “shown the door.” I do remember him telling me in his 27 or 28th year (whenever he won his 500th game) that he would retire after 30, which he did. If it got out that he was being “shown the door” I think there would be a mob with torches and pitchforks storming the AD’s office and I would have been in it.

I can’t remember who was the AD when Guy retired, but I think it was Kasser, though it may have been Ford. Neither had the cache to fire Guy Lewis.

Kasser was gone by then I think.

I’m having a hard time remembering the cycle of AD’s back then. Dempsey left in '82 and then there was Kasser, Ford, and Davalos, Carr, Maggard, Rhoades, and now Pezman but not necessarily in that order. It was a real clown show for a while.

1 Like

You left out Gladchuck and the guy currently at Arkansas, but you list seems otherwise to be in order.

Too fricking many !!

1 Like