Tony Orlando and Dawn will be available

In January. Today’s loss puts the 'Horns at 6-4 and they go to Waco next Saturday where they will lose and drop to 6-5. Someone must be thrown into the volcano to appease the Longhorns Football God. I predict it will be Orlando

8 Likes

You think Tommie Twinkles will survive?

3 Likes

Just me giving my own opinion If your talking about herman absolutely…he’ll get 2 more seasons based on their performance last season which hasn’t happened since 2009. Plus he has a hefty buyout.

1 Like

Got it!

2 Likes

And UT will still be ranked.

6 Likes

They will probably be called the best 6-4 team in the country and move into the top 10 for holding Iowa State to only 23 points.

9 Likes

It becoming evident that Orlando is a good Xs and Os guy but is a terrible recruiter. He won here at UH with guys that were recruited from Levine’s staff and is now at UT where he has access to the best recruits, yet is struggling to produce a good defense.

6 Likes

Basically why he didn’t have a shot at the job here. He would be better suited in the NFL

2 Likes

Haven’t watched the Lyin Tom presser but I’m sue it went a lot like this…holding back the tears “We understand we’ve got to get better”, “We understand the expectation is a championship”…bla bla bla.

2 Likes

Agree. We had several players who are in the NFL now whom Todd got to coach. CTO got more credit than he had coming based on the talent here. Now we know.

4 Likes

Orlando’s pass defense is abysmal. And he has many, many 4 and 5 star athletes.

3 years in The 'Horns look average.

4 Likes

I expect much blood letting at UT on both sides of the ball. BTW Orlando doesn’t recruit. Like Chavis and Bumps, he’s a DC who doesn’t recruit. Whomever is the best recruiter will stay but I think all offensive positions except Oline are suspect.

4 Likes

UT-Austin Defensive Two-Deep
14 - 4 or 5 stars
10 - 3 stars
9 Juniors or Seniors
7 Sophs
8 Freshman - not sure if RS or True

8 - 4 or 5 stars not on the two deep
Of those 8, 2 are juniors or seniors. 4 are sophs and the rest are freshmen

All told, 22 4 or 5 stars on the defense

4 Likes

And thus Orlando is gone. Their talent is incredible

Surprising man when orlando was here our open field tackling was awesome!

5 Likes

I really thought Herman would have great success quickly at UT-Austin, and I’m watching with amusement as that has failed to happen. The so-called experts are often too quick to anoint young coaches as the “next great thing” and the pressure of expectations, especially at a place where the fanbase has such a sense of entitlement as UT, can reveal a lot of shortcomings.

6 Likes

It’s a chemistry and environment thing. Personally I liked Gibbs best of all our DC’s because he radically changed the defensive culture.

8 Likes

Question with the star rankings always is whether those guys are really that highly talented or are they ranked that way because they committed to UT.

7 Likes

My good friend. who is a UT grad and has insight into their athletics, told me, apologetically, that they were coming after Herman.
I’m enjoying this.

7 Likes

Having watched 90% of all Lamar HS football games for the past 4 years, if other districts are like Lamar’s, you have people who look absolutely dynamite against inferior competition because they are athletic. You never really see them in a deeply difficult situation and you have no idea how they will perform in conditions where they have to quickly find solutions to everyone being as athletic and everyone is working hard.
I’ve said this before but Tony Levine said something that has stuck with me. He said, most of these kids started getting their ratings when they were sophs or juniors and you barely have an idea what these kids are going to do in college their college freshman year let alone their sophomore year in high school. Some kids may have peaked their soph year but that was a high level for high school and they look great but if they never get better in college, it is not so great for their college team.
Tony’s recruiting system worked because 1. The thoroughness of the vetting - everyone on the recruiting staff had a say on whether they offered or not. and 2. By getting on some of these kids late, we had a longer look at how they were progressing through high school. If you find a kid that is pretty good in high school and his trend shows room for more growth in college, you probably have something good there. High 2 stars and new 3 stars fully vetted and researched can do well in college and the NFL.

8 Likes