2025?

Just have to hope the AAC adds them. That’s what ESPN wants. I don’t really see a market for a new Big 12 either.

2 Likes

Now more than ever UH needs to have winning seasons leading into 2025. Regardless of when UT/OK leave, super conferences won’t be fully shaken out till 2025. UH now has something legit to play for. Go Coogs!

3 Likes

The key question is does ESPN want the AAC to add them because they know nobody else will and that will get their liability eliminated from the remaining of the Big 12 contract, or do they desire for the AAC to add them for a new attractive product to the markets those universities serve? I’m sure its the first, hopefully its the 2nd also. If we do add them to the AAC, they need to justify a bigger broadcasting contract for all in the AAC.

1 Like

I think that’s one of the selling points to the Big 12 leftovers, a bigger TV deal than the 7 million AAC teams currently receive. I could see it being anywhere from 10-12, maybe a little more plus they’d likely guarantee a major bowl game.

1 Like

That’s really the better option. Aresco needs to be communicating the progress the AAC is making with ESPN with the ADs. I’m sure he is.

1 Like

From Who?

From ESPN. I’m talking about the AAC with Big 12 leftovers added. I think the AAC’s payout would increase about 50% or more.

1 Like

The big question is why now. Why would OU & UTa choose to announce this departure now. They could have waited until 2023 to announce, play 2024 in the BIG12 , then start SEC play in 2025.n

The current ESPN Tv deal, conference GOR and Sugar bowl contract expires in 2025. With no significant new media deal post 2025, the conference would have lost its power status and would have disemboweled itself. No GOR penalty , no exit fees.

There are two probable explanations,

1. The leak last week forced their hands, started a chain reaction they couldn’t stop and has forced them to deal with the aftermath. They are hoping that the leftover 8 would eventually capitulate with at least three getting picked off by the pac-12

2. Contrary to Bowlsby assertions, the big12 tv deal and contract bowls have membership clauses that force’s renegotiations and terminates the contract bowl agreements if either UT / OU leaves the conference.

I think it’s the latter. It’s more logical that ESPN would protect itself in this manner especially in a conference with 10 members; in language similar to the one in the AAC contract. It would be baffling that ESPN would not do this for its most valuable assets.

1 Like

This article written in 2013, states that since the tv media deal runs concurrently with the GOR, the GOR penalty on the leaving schools will be whats left of the media deal if they leave early.

My opinion-In which case UT/OU will pay the exit fees and the leftover 8 will continue to receive the tv dough through 2025 as long as they stay together

OU/UT are gone next season

1 Like

Guarantee they’ll be playing 2022. This 2025 is BS. All these college changes are taking place in 2022, you can bet on it

This is last year.

AAC should merge into Big 12 under AAC leadership but adopting the brand of the Big 12 with all the rights of the Big 12.

The legal fees to figure this all out will be paid by ESPN. That is the least they can do.

5 Likes

1 Like

Well, the Atlantic projected that OU and Texas justified 50% of the broadcasting contract. That would leave the other 50% to the Leftovers that they could bring to a most likely modified AAC.

Historically the Big 12 has a bigger brand, but that brand has been taking a beating for the last two decades. The current Big 12 leadership absolutely should not remain under such an arrangement.

1 Like

I would love that but the rodent will never allow that. This is why they are doing everything that they can to get their boy aresco to blow up the small12.

Please pen this for Person and WVUguy and whoever else wants to come on here and tell us how they are still P5 and better than UH

1 Like

Some of those Big 12 ADs that spoke anonymously this past week that they weren’t interested in G5s because no G5 or group of G5s could make up the revenue loss of Texas and OU. What they refuse to realize is their own value to that Big 12 contract and why OU and Texas were interested in bolting. They were tired of being the Sugar Daddy for the entire conference these last 2.5 decades.

Those Big 12 ADs and their presidents need to look in the mirror and come to reality of what they bring to a conference in terms of revenue and market potential. When they realize that based upon the little interest they are getting, they’ll finally come to terms they need to do what they can to maximize revenue across a new conference and unless they can pull in a Ohio State or Michigan or Alabama, they won’t be returning to the days of the past 2.5 decades when they had Texas and OU in the conference. Those days are over.

Right now the majority of the nations sports media are projecting most of them for the AAC versus an expanded Big 12.

1 Like

I saw a piece (not sure if it’s The Athletic or another) reporting that Texas and OU were worth 50-75% of the TV deal. If it’s closer to 75% then we’re talking the leftovers being worth c. 9 million each, which is probably close to what ESPN would offer the AAC with the leftovers, maybe a little more (10-15) to get them to break away so that ESPN wouldn’t have to worry about the GOR and exit fees.

THIS is the type of headline the remnants want buried a mile deep and hidden forever from west coast readers.

1 Like

I mentioned something along these lines in another thread. Many times a “smaller” company buys out the “bigger” company, retaining the name of the more well know company. I used USAirways and American Airlines as an example. I could see some kind of merger with the new conference being the Big XVI. Maybe everyone gets invited, maybe some get left behind. I would, however, kick the current Big XII administration to the curb.

1 Like