Tough Loss

Tyson looks lost on the court…especially on defense.

1 Like

We need work, glad for the extra game this weekend.

1 Like

Not one of biggest losses in UH history, but one of the most disappointing when it comes to results vs expectations. I couldnt think of one worse. Can you name another highly ranked UH team that lost to a team with a similar poor ranking especially with such a bad conference record?

Could he have played worse defensively than what we saw tonight?

BS. When it became obvious that we were losing, you have to play your best 3 point scorer. Tyson is instant offense.

Again…Tyson played 4 minutes and made 3 points.

Again…Mark played 17 minutes and made 2 points.

Go with the science. More Tyson minutes…more points.

1 Like

Against a zone, which we did not see tonight.

Needed more from Grimes / Mark but I don’t think Tyson is the difference maker.

I am concerned about Grimes after the ankle injury. He has had a tough couple of games.

As someone pointed out, ECU was out of their minds from 3. The defense was not great but credit ECU for hitting shots.

1 Like

I was referring to his play all year…not this game !!

Just randomly checked a PSJ year. In 1981-82 we were #10 in the country and lost on the road to Texas by 12 who finished 16-11 and 6-10 in the SWC. Then the next game we lost at home by 1 to SMU who finished 6-21 and that was their only conference win of the entire year. That season ended in the final four against UNC.

Losing by 9 as a 16 point favorite is tough but I’m sure we have plenty of similar swings in our history. Unless this starts a serious collapse this isn’t the kind of game people will look back on and remember at all. Not like blowing a lead in the national championship as a 7.5 point favorite.

This isn’t even our worst loss at ECU. In Ray’s second year we were making a late run at getting on the bubble and a 17 point loss at ECU that ended with Kevin Gaines getting arrested that night and a couple of players getting suspended the next game (blowout loss at USF) effectively killed any chance of making the tournament that year. That loss was much, much worse than this one.

3 Likes

Well I have been following the Coog hoops program since the early '60s, and considering our ranking and our 1-6 opponent, and our effort on the court, I would rank this up with top most embarrassing losses in al those years.
We were out played and out coached.by a team that had not played in a long while…

2 Likes

At least there is not a match up against Gonzaga coming after this effort

I have been a CoogFan since 1982.

This is our best team since 1984.

Ranking is critical for bracket placement. This was bad no two ways about it.

I am not going to jump out the window. I have faith in this coach. He will get us back into the battle. But let’s call them like it is. A bad night is a bad night.

2 Likes

Certainly you are not comparing this to a loss in the final four to the hottest team in college basketball at the time?
Also losing to Texas on the road was ugly, but we were not ranked fifth and playing in a weak conference. The SWC was a lot like the Big 12 now. But that team went on to play well in the conference tourney and made it to the final four, losing to NC by five. That was the game that Rob Williams decided to stay out the night before and party and probably had his worst game as a Coog.
There are absolutely no excuses for playing like garbage against a 1-6 team after playing so well in previous games.
This is not the end all game, just an embarrassing one. All the talk about Gonzaga and folks on this board talking about a naty…well we all came down to earth tonight.
Maybe this wakes the team up, or maybe we are just grossly overrated.
We will find out starting at USF, a team that hasn’t played in a while either and is 3-3 in conference.
On a positive note, maybe this is a wakeup call with Memphis coming up twice plus a game at WSU.
But make no mistake, this was a terrible outing and can’t be compared to anything I have seen over the years…and I have lived through many heart breaking moments in just about every Cougar sport…Finally getting national attention and boom…down go the Cougars…
Now, with all this said, if this team can catch fire and raise some hell here on out, then I agree a lot will be forgiven or forgotten.

I don’t care about rankings and expectations or whatever. We don’t have anyone on this team that is a lock to really crack an NBA roster. Not that long ago we had a team with House, Tashawn and Joe Young and lost to Prairie View who finished the season 324 in kenpom.

Losing a game on the road by 9 to a team ranked 136 in kenpom probably isn’t in my top 20 losses I’ve been frustrated by in my time following UH, which is a much shorter time period than you. The NC State loss stings a lot worse and I wasn’t even watching then!

1 Like

At least it’s early Feb and there is time to polish the resume before tournament time.

The Coogs had too many TOs and the defensive effort wasn’t quite there but ECU guard’s were shooting very well while UH focused on Gardner. It was a bad combo. Any team that surrenders 80 points in game has a good chance of losing but this team needs to keep opponents under 70.

Time to get Grimes going against OLLU.

No I’m pointing out that after getting to the final four I doubt anyone really cared about the loss at Texas or the home loss to SMU for their only conference win and one of six games they won that year.

I started following SWC hoops a little later than that but I think you are overselling it a bit too. With two teams making the tourney (which I know is pre-expansion to 64) and 1 team making the NIT that year that seems more like a “normal” AAC year where we get three or so bids than like the Big 12 this year.

2 Likes

Kinda wish there was!

I can see that argument but man that could have really backfired. The streak of not losing back-to-back games would have been in severe jeopardy.

There are gonna be loses.

Lets just win at the end.

1 Like

These are the kinds of games I always worry about. Kids just don’t have their minds right and the other team has us circled as their big game of the season. When you are ranked high and lead the conference, you have a target on your back and everyone plays their best, so you can’t have a letdown.

Well, in 2 weeks we have them here and revenge will be had.

1 Like