Tough Loss

The Coogs lost five of six games in SWC play and came back and won their final eight games to finish second that year.
Then shocked everyone with a run to the final 4.
I may be wrong but I remember us falling behind something like 18-0 to start that game.
This team can show the same kind of grit the rest of the season.
The key no doubt is to be hot at the right time like NCS was in 1983
And btw Texas was ranked earlier in the season but fell apart when star forward Wacker when down with a severe knee injury

1 Like

I don’t think there really is much of an argument. If it were playing the Zags at home vs. OLL at home you could go either way on whether it’s better for us to get this loss out of our system by beating down an inferior opponent or challenging ourselves against the best (or second best depending on how you feel about Baylor) team in the country. But coming back to Houston then shortly after that getting on a plane to go to SLC for an emotionally draining game (whether we hang with or even beat them or get destroyed) then having to fly back and shortly fly out to play a USF team with talent would be a bad recipe to potentially derail the season.

1 Like

Lose to a worthless ECU team = we are a one and done in tourney. Decline invite and avoid loss to TSU or SHSU. Total egg on face. Just mail in the rest of season. We have no chance against Gonzaga, Baylor and heaven forbid OU and UT
 My opinion. Glad I opted out of season tickets. Another reason we get no respect. Poor poor poor effort. I am done with both BB and FB. Waste of my time and $$$.

Hope you are kidding or just jealous I got tickets lol.
This is a tough so now the team can do one of two things
fall apart or come out mad with purpose.
We are to be mutilated by ESPN and some of the smart butt announcers.
Let’s hope this is the starting of an angry fireball!

1 Like

#3 and #5 both go down in tough road losses.

1 Like

Awful awful loss to a bad team. Not good.

However, UH still has a shot at conf chip and maybe a 3 seed. Puts things into perspective from years past.

Get things cleaned up and finish the season strong. Give me a UH team who is playing top notch, high energy basketball going into the tourney seeded 3-5 or so and I’ll forget all about this one. That should be the goal.

But I hope the squad never forgets this game. And I know coach won’t.

I thought HCNY’s “worst loss in Coog history” was the most over the top reaction but welcome to the top ranking!

If you opted out to roll over to next year and are now done as a season ticket holder there is a line of people that are happily going to take your seats next year.

However, if this is actually sarcasm then it’s very well played and a great example of Poe’s law.

2 Likes

They shot lights out on three’s. Way above their average and we shot well below ours. We will fall but likely no lower than 10 or 11 but either way we are going to go into the aac tourney as the number one seed. And next time we play them will be at our place or in the tourney. It is one game, time to move on and win out.

2 Likes

Idk if this team is even better than the team two years ago. Probably not. I think what Sampson has done has people thinking our talent should just easily win every night. No one on this roster is a lock to really crack an NBA roster, which is why some of the “Gonzaga isn’t ready for us” or whatever that was in the thread about that game was pretty ridiculous. You could argue that our second best/most important player is Gorham and he’s a couple of years removed from putting up 9.8 and 6.7 at a middle of the pack school in the CAA.

I remember the UCONN game in Storrs under Dickey where we were probably like 12 point dogs and had enough talent on the roster to at least compete with them and ended up losing by 37 and it really could have been like 50 or 60 if UCONN wanted to run it up.

This loss is so much lower in frustration level for me than many losses we’ve had even in recent history.

It’s a bad loss and could knock us down a seed line or two but I’m definitely not going to get bent out of shape if this team winds up with a 4 seed or something.

I agree with you that there really isn’t a good spin for the loss right now, though.

I never said “worst lost in Coog History”

I was a student during the worst lost in Coog History. It has effected our children and our children’s children. Likely cost our school billions of dollars over the decades. Lost our faith in the very fabric and fiber of life
ok perhaps that was too much.

I said it goes on the list of one of the worst.

Simply because of bracket placement.

Some of us are getting older. We are in the middle of a plague. We are on edge. But we are not giving up. We are not melting down.

As a Coog I have actively participated in many meltdowns. This is not a meltdown. Not a meltdown because of a strong team and strong staff.

It is upsetting that is all.

1 Like

I don’t think this year’s team is better than last year team w FW & NH on it. Had couple more losses last yr but that was due to the Conf being much better at the top and in the middle than this year. Ohh plus Chris Harris much better defensively than any option we have this year at Center position.

2 Likes

Fair enough. Sorry to misconstrue your words and I get that people are venting (though someone contemplating giving up season tickets over this game really is completely off the wall in my opinion).

I’m bummed about having no chance at a one seed now when it looked possible before this game. I’m just less stressed about it I guess than others based on remembering where we were not that long ago, that we’re not overflowing with talent and just let up in one game, and that this loss on its own doesn’t preclude a good seed and run in the tourney. This stings probably like 1/100th for me compared to the Southern Miss loss in football.

You could make that argument for sure. I think last year’s team was more talented, but up to this point this year’s team has been a better team.

But the reason this team is so good is in large part because it just outworks everyone else by a pretty good margin. Letting up on the effort a bit and a hot shooting night from a team that is not great but is probably better than this board is giving credit can result in a loss.

2 Likes

Lost to a1-6 team end of story.

3 Likes

But where would that loss rank in the big 12. That’s what really matters.

Meh, its good to get wake up calls. They now know they have to play hard to win.

Whatever we end up being seeded, that first round game is losable.

3 Likes

I thought Tulsa was a wake up call? It’s just one loss, in the end only 1 team will win the tournament every one else will end their season on a losing note

After all the ridiculous posts, we are 6th in KenPom and dropped 1 spot in the NET. Of course that doesn’t fit the hyperboles espoused after the loss last nite

1 Like

Tyson can shoot
 But y’all calling for him to get more minutes obviously haven’t played/watched much basketball

2 Likes

Jesus Christ. Good thing we got supporters like you.

1 Like