Tuesday's attendance

Can we please fix some pot holes first? What other major city has pot holes on the freeway?

1 Like

People are ā€œincentivizedā€ to live in suburbs because of quality of life disparities between the city and suburbs. Schools, crime, housing costs, roads all better in the burbs.

5 Likes

The TV cameraā€™s are in the same spot as last year. Correct me if I am wrong - I think most of the time the TV cameraā€™s are not on the same side of the stadium as the team benches.

1 Like

It will not be close to full at FC until the Coogs are ranked and people around town remember that itā€™s college basketball season and UH is still good. As it is with all sports, Houston fans need convincing that a team is good each season before climbing onboard. (Please donā€™t use the Texans as an example because NFL football is a beast of its own.)

3 Likes

CougarDave - I understand your point of view. What I donā€™t understand is our season ticket holders not showing up. We sold out the allotment of season tickets this year at what 5,000+? Our seats are in section 104 (Tuesday at least 60% empty). When I looked Tuesday night right before the end of the first half, at sections 102,103,104, 112, 113 ,114 and all club sections there appeared to be more empty seats than fans in attendance. I specifically mentioned these sections as these sections are predominantly season tickets as they have few to no single game tickets available. OK, U of H has the ticket revenue from the season ticket holders, but our players and coaches did not have the support from the season ticket holders sitting at home.

Tuesday, small team, 7pm.

Iā€™m just glad the people that did go were in it. And glad there were familiar faces in my section.

1 Like

For me, life happened (wifeā€™s schedule, kidsā€™ homework, commute, etc) and I did not make it. Fortunately, I found someone who could make it and they used my 4 (my Plan B was to offer to Pray as a belated Veteranā€™s Day ā€œthank you for your Serviceā€).

I have a feeling some of those sold season tickets are like the 2016 football season where there were plenty of empty seats for games not against OU and Louisville.

I have stopped worrying about it. I worry about what is in my control. UH has a full-time team trying to increase exposure and ticket sales. I will chip in from time to time to talk up the UH teams but I will leave it to them to do the heavy lifting. Itā€™s not an easy job in this town.

1 Like

Have not had season tickets for basketball since PSJ days and a few years after. My main football tailgate friend and I purchased basketball season tickets this year. The fans sitting around us Tuesday made it a point to welcome us and introduce themselves. Was the same way our first year having FB season tickets in The Rob in 2004 and in TDECU first year.

1 Like

I spent 60 minutes going from Newcastle at 59 to Post Oak @ 610 last night. After that, (and running other errands) I just wasnā€™t enthusiastic about jumping back in the car for more traffic to make it at 7. It was one game, I will be at most others (or have someone there in my place).

2 Likes

Wait!! Are you saying we have a transportation system? I know thereā€™s a toy train that takes you from downtown to UH; but how many people live downton?

I live in Katy and left at 5:00pm in order to make the game. When I worked on West Sam at Westpark area, it would take me an hour and a half ā€“ at least ā€“ to make it.

Did you walk to the game ? ? ? ? ? I live in Wharton, Texas, another 30 miles from where you work, left town about 5:30 and arrived at the green lot by 6:45. In my seats in time for the National Anthem . . . . . and as I looked across at the big dollar seats, almost all were empty . . . . .of the seats with TV monitors, only 5 or 6 were occupied. Few other seats on that side were occupied. I could not see the students side, because that is where my seats are located, but our entire row was empty, as was the row in front of us, and only 2 people seated in the row behind us, in our section. The section to our left was better attended, but both end zone areas were not attended very well.

1 Like

Ben - Student section on the floor was almost full, loud and enthusiastic. Student section behind the band not very many in attendance. As I posted earlier the sections with the most season tickets were less than half full if even that many in attendance. Wife and I left work early, met at home at 4:15 or so in The Woodlands, and stopped at a fast food joint on Scott Street around 5:30 for a snack since we tend to have larger lunches on game days.

2 Likes

Considering it was on a cold Tuesday night and the traffic was horrible, I thought it was a decent and lively crowd. Whoever guessed 2k is way offā€¦I would venture to say there were twice that many there as many trickled in midway in the first half.
Traffic is a nightmare for us out of towners, especially on 288 where there is a lot of construction going on. We got to the game on time but leaving was a nightmare as the freeway was closed down to one lane. Had to detour the long way eventually beating the traffic on 521ā€¦
If you guys have watched any games on television there are a lot of open seats at games even in the traditional college towns. The Aggies announced 5k the other night against a scrub opponent but a friend told me there might have been 1500 thereā€¦at this point I would love to the stadium full, but I can understand a lot of season ticket holders not making this oneā€¦

2 Likes

Get a horse.

2 Likes

No. Iā€™m not riding a bus or train anywhere. If you want that move to Europe. I have my pickup and my other big ass vehicle with 8 cylinders and just me riding where I can listen to what I want and not sit by someone blasting his crappy music, farting etc. Politicians suck at everything except finding ways to waste our money. Mass transit is a waste of money. Build more and better roads, drill for more oil and make gasoline.

5 Likes

This is why the 3rd Ward needs to develop high rise townhomes. How nice would it be to walk to the Fertitta Center and walk home.

1 Like

No excuse needed, That is a Killer Drive, Period. My Brother live in Rosenberg and I in deep Kingwood and that is easy 1 he 30 minutes, one way not rush hour. Probably near 1 hr to UH alone for you.

I donā€™t think Iā€™ll make every game, but Iā€™ll try. Game last night was fun to watch as blowouts go. My only regret is waiting so long to get season tickets. Iā€™m in section 116 too far up for the cheerleaders to reach me when they throw T-shirts. Will get closer next year. In the meantimeā€¦ Just win baby.

Go Coogs!!!

You probably Times rush hour perfectly. Kudos to you!

New York - A single-line A-train ride from Columbus Circle to Lefferts St is 59 minutes.

Boston - Braintree to Alewife is 21 miles and the entire length of their Red Line. Itā€™s 47 minutes.

DC - West Falls Church to Minnesota Ave is 18 miles and 43 minutes.

Philly - Frankford to 69th street is 15 miles and 40 minutes. Itā€™s the longest single-line commute I could find.

1 Like