Tuesday's attendance

Over the last 5 years I have bought season tickets for Football, Baseball, and this year Basketball. I only do it to help out the University. There is no way I can attend weekday games and also make it to a Saturday football game. I admire those of you who can do that.

Football tickets are usually easy to offload, but Basketball and Baseball tickets not so much, especially for weeknight games.

I’m going to rethink whether or not I continue to purchase season tickets. Maybe there is a different strategy to support the various athletic teams without being a season ticket holder?

I was one of the “no-shows” in section 102.

1 Like

Why don’t you just buy the season tickets then sell the weekday games on StubHub? You would make back some of the expense for not making the weekday games while still getting the perks of being a season ticket holder.

1 Like

Same spot plus one under each goal.

Band had some great chants throughout the game that will incite the crowds more as the season gets going.

2 Likes

Cameras in same spot one more season. Next year they move to the other side to show off floor student section. Just don’t know if the benches will move to the other side, as well.

Sorry to hear that. I think the cameras should stay where they are.

I think that a better solution might be to have premium seat ticket holders agree to either (i) use/attend most of our home games, and/or (ii) release their seats back to the UH ticket office for resale to other third parties - on a game-by-game basis - when they are not expected to be used.

1 Like

Chicago. 26 miles from O-'Hare to downtown. 222 miles of tracks over all.

Not crazy to want rail connecting West, SW, N, E etc to downtown. Lots of cities do it and Houston got very close 30 years ago to getting it done.

2 Likes

They would have to move the benches I would think. You dont see games on TV where viewers are seeing the back of the coaches heads on the sideline along with the players on the bench. Good thing all they have to do is flip the court that is moveable and switch some chairs around. Does the NCAA allow the student section to be right behind the visiting teams bench? I think in football the student section cannot be behind the victors bench. Guess the cheer leaders swap sides on the baselines during the game.

It does look like Auburn has the benches on the same side as the TV cameras in their arena and the student section looks to be on the opposite side of the benches. So I guess the benches in Fertitta Center would stay on the same side as now.

2 Likes

They have to move the cameras as part of the AAC/ESPN deal. ESPN+ streaming requires some additional infrastructure which will require the cameras changed. I guess people in the premium have the $$$ to not show up most of the time.

3 Likes

Good grief. First unreasonably cold night, game on telly, it’s a biatch to get across town on a weekday night. I live in the Heights and still thought about not going, instead settled for being late. I wish all weekday games started no earlier than 7:30, though traffic can still be bad at that hour. But games at 8 p.m. regardless of the night, yo a** had better be there. See everybody Friday at the first test of the latest version of Cougars.

1 Like

Allen Parkway is the best I have found for your part of town.

That really only works if most games are sellouts. That may happen some day, but right now it only works for the marquee games and only if my tickets get bought instead of the hundreds of others available on Stub Hub. I wish I were in a financial position to just buy season tickets and not really care if I make back any of that expense. That’s just not where I am right now unfortunately.

2 Likes

Other than every single Duke game on TV

1 Like

Bingo. This idea that other major cities in the United States have mass transit that would allow someone to hop on a rail and travel 30+ miles in 45 minutes or so for a commute into and out of the city is nonsense.

You earlier mentioned the urban sprawl that comes with highway projects, and that’s true. But it’s also the reason that Houston is such an affordable city. I saw St. Arnold’s sharing a piece opposing the proposed project to reroute and expand 45 (which they obviously oppose because it will make it hard to get to their brewery during the construction phase). The takeaway was the same as you mentioned. Highway expansion just encourages more sprawl and those highways ultimately become congested again pretty quickly. The author said we shouldn’t encourage this and if we stopped with highway projects it incentivizes even more development close to the city and we could eventually become like NY, San Fran, etc.

However, those are very expensive cities to live in that have very serious problems right now for that reason.

3 Likes

The transportation isn’t the reason those cities are so expensive. Houston is the ideal city to have a functioning rail system since there is so much sprawl. Bad planning and a population boom now makes it almost impossible to do.

1 Like

Those cities are so expensive because you can’t really commute in and out of them. I didn’t say that a rail system made those cities more expensive. I said those cities are expensive because they don’t have the highways our city does.

I’m not going to debate on whether we could use a rail. But the type and level of commuter rail system you are describing doesn’t really exist anywhere in the United States.

2 Likes

Depends on the city but you can commute in and out of most except probably NYC. I don’t think we are asking for a system like in China but having a rail option to get downtown and different parts of the city is available in a lot cities.

Yup! I live in between Philly and NY now. It takes 2 hours door to door to get into the middle of NYC (15-20 minute drive to train station, 1:15 minute train ride, 15 minute navigation through Penn station and walking/subway to destination). It’s much easier to drive into Philly than take the train. Public transportation saving massive amounts of time is myth. Trains are great for moving a lot of people into an area that’s short on parking, but they aren’t fast. It’s just not easy to get places when you live dozens of miles outside of a city of 5 million + people.

2 Likes

Sure. I’m not disputing that other cities have much more in the way of public transportation than we do. But this conversation seemed to start with an idea that “every other major city in the world” has a rail system that would allow someone to jump on a rail from their big suburban house 30+ miles from the city (in multiple suburbs) and get into the city in half an hour.

There is not a single city in the US that has something like that.

2 Likes