Tune's

Agree on his speed. IMHO it showed tremendous heart and fortitude that he made a mistake and he gave his all to tackle the player.

Saying that… I hope he does not get hurt trying to make a play on a bad play…

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone is ignoring Q1. It was truly awful. But like everyone else said, it only took a quarter to settle down and start fixing things. To spot a team 14 points, lose the turnover battle 5-0 and still win by 18 is definitely a cause for optimism though, even against a bad Tulane team. We now have good film to dissect and start straightening some things out. Next Friday will be telling. If we have another Q1 performance like that against BYU, they may beat us by 30. But I don’t think we’ll see that kind of performance again.

6 Likes

I’ve seen people grading him as high as a B+ In another thread. Hard to do that without ignoring or discounting the 1Q.

And, some are just chalking the early part as rust and focusing on the rest of the game. I hope that’s true but there is some cause for concern.

Maybe it’s not ignoring but some are discounting the 1Q. I hope that proves correct.

1 Like

I like Tune. He is a gamer and has a solid arm. The angle of descent on his long passes is perfect for
our speedy receivers. We might need to pull in a receiver for blocking duty versus BYU. We can do that because of our speed. The pass protection needs an upgrade for later in the season in addition to the BYU game.

2 Likes

I hope to see our speed thoroughly exhaust the BYU dbacks by the 3rd Quarter. Going to be an interesting game for Coog fans. We’ll have a much better evaluation on this year’s team afterward. Personally, I’m optimistic about the 2020 Coogs.

3 Likes

That’s fair. I do think a lot of people are grading him on potential. The potential shown last night was infinitely better than the actual performance. Not just Tune, but the whole team. I do except the jitters to mostly be gone next week and the film sessions should clean a lot of stuff up.

1 Like

Next week will be a big test. There is reason for optimism and I feel better today than I did at any point last season.

2 Likes

I need to see another week…he could be good…or a disaster…hoping for a good game against BYU.

1 Like

I can guarantee…Cougars will win! :wink: :wink: :rofl: :rofl:

That first pass of the game was a thing of beauty.Tune averaged 16yds/pass, not bad.
We will put up some points this year and with our tough D we will be hard to beat.

4 Likes

To me the best pass was when he was on the run to his right and threw the pass to the goal line between two defenders.

For Tune to be a successful he needs time to throw. He’s not quick enough on his feet to evade a pass rush so the idea that he can sit in the pocket and wait for a receiver to get open 30-40 yards downfield won’t be there unless we’re playing against a weak defense. That won’t be the case against BYU or some of the other teams in this conference.

What I’d like to see is for Holgerson to start giving him quick reads to start the game to help him get in a groove and keep the defense on their heels. As we saw last night, once he had time to throw his accuracy went way up. We also saw that he’s not gonna beat people with his feet. He might be able to scramble a little bit when no one is in front of him but not against a fast defender. This is where I’d like to see the offense go with two back sets and movement to keep the defense guessing. At times I just think the offense is too predictable, which doesn’t bode well for a guy that doesn’t always make the best decisions while under pressure.

Tune did a good job once the team adjusted to actual game speed.
I think the entire team had issues in the first quarter. This was the first time getting hit hard and playing real competition.
it’s unprecedented not playing for a month to start the season while others are playing…tulane had 3 games under their belt and a bye week to heal up.
i’m glad we didn’t have to start with memphis…

4 Likes

Well said Randy!

With all the false alarm openers that this team has been through I think having a bad 1Q was almost predictable. Its a lot of nerves and prep bottled up wanting to get out all in 15 minutes.

2 Likes

Really need to watch the post game with Holgerson.

1.) Hard to simulate game speed in practice
2.) Had not played a game in over a year. A couple of false starts. I was wondering if we were going to play even yesterday morning. Hard to keep your mind right. And I am not playing.
3.) Teams usually see their most improvement from Game 1 to Game 2. We saw a lot of improvement from 1st quarter to 2nd quarter. I want to see how much more improved we will be in game 2.
4.) Offensive line as much the problem on the first interception. They were adjusting to game speed as well. They made adjustments later and it showed.
5.) Tune forced the pass that led to the interception TD. But it was 4th down. If he throws it away, how many on the board would have fussed about throwing the ball away on 4th down and not trying to make a play? If he throws it further to the line, Corbin catches it instead for a first down.

4 Likes

Randy, we won’t have another first game after 5 weeks of ups and letdowns and going against a team in its 4th this season. So your worries are over.

CDH thinks game speed had more to do with the pick 6 and fumble/TD than anything else. On the fumble, he said Tulane stacked three guys in the A gap and our O-line couldn’t or didn’t handle it. So, The QB gets blamed for INTs and obviously when a guy fumbles, that guy is blamed but coach knows what the truth is and I am grateful that no one on this board has the power to tell him what to do when adversity strikes.

So, chill, man. Everything will be fine.

1 Like

I forgot it was fourth down. Yes, he had to run or throw, and running wasn’t going to get him there–Tulane defender was right on top of him.

In hindsight, it’s easy to say that he should have throw it away and let it turn over on downs rather than throw the pick 6. But that’s not something anyone’s thinking about in the heat of the moment b/c it’s do or die on fourth down.

1 Like

That’s assuming those reasons are the sole cause of the issues. You may be right and I hope you are.