TxTech favored by 2.5 pts

Yep, that’s the one!

1 Like

Just saw on ESPN that we are now a 1 point favorite:

But their Matchup Predictor has Tech with a 76.6% chance of winning:

You can’t make this up, folks.

I thought the first line was out of whack. From the eye test we are the better team.

If the UH secondary doesn’t step up and play better than it has in the first two games, I don’t see the Coogs winning this one. I think UH will move the ball and score some points but the defense concerns me. We have the best defensive player in college football yet still manage to look mediocre. That has to change this week.

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone in their right mind would use the matchup predictor to make a bet. It currently has UT ranked 30th while Maryland is ranked 40th and Tulsa ranked 79th. It has Memphis ranked 38th, the team that beat Memphis (Navy) ranked 87th and the team that beat Navy (3-0 Hawaii) ranked 107th.

1 Like

I’ve seen spreads today that have UH -7

Actually, I think all of this is made up !!

The percentages come from ESPN’s Football Power Index, which at this point is heavily dependent on the FPI rating they gave each time before the start of the season. Texas started at #16, TT #37, UH #66, Tulsa #84, Hawai’i #126 and Rice #128. Then each week, every team gets their FPI rating bumped up or down from their prior FPI depending on how well they did. Hawai’i hasn’t come up much because the three teams they’ve defeated all had low FPI ratings.There’s never a reassessment of the team’s preseason FPI rating because after many games, the actual results will mostly drown out the preseason assessment. But when there’s only a few games, it produces a lot of very questionable rankings.

Here is the biggest flaw and the reason I hate the sagarin ratings. They refuse to carry over ratings from the previous year. Always bumping up the P5s and bumping down the G5s. So when they all go into conference play, P5s that were over rated can’t weigh down the top teams and G5s that were underrated stay weighed down by the bottom teams.

2 Likes

[quote=“shaggylives, post:69, topic:13719, full:true”]Here is the biggest flaw and the reason I hate the sagarin ratings. They refuse to carry over ratings from the previous year. Always bumping up the P5s and bumping down the G5s. So when they all go into conference play, P5s that were over rated can’t weigh down the top teams and G5s that were underrated stay weighed down by the bottom teams.
[/quote]
Agreed. When Michigan lost to Notre Dame, their FPI increased because Notre Dame was ranked ahead of them (#6 to #11). When Notre Dame looked less than stellar against Ball State the next week, that didn’t impact Michigan’s rating so Michigan is now ranked higher (#7) than the team that defeated them (#11).

I don’t see a lot of rhyme or reason in their preseason rankings. There’s no way you can justify starting Texas at #16. Kansas, coming off a 1-11 season where the only team they defeated was Southeast Missouri State, was ranked #86, three behind Tulane who was coming off a 5-7 season. But Tulsa, a really bad team, was for some reason ranked #84.

The big schools typically reload and the G5
Schools typically rebuild.

All I know is I hope we beat Tech by 30. Tech got trounced by Ole Miss then played a junior high team. We had a bad 1st half against Rice and have been dominant on both sides of the ball since. I can see Tech scoring some on our defense, but I just don’t think this one will be close. Mainly because I don’t think Tech’s defense has a prayer of stopping our offense. Of course, I have been wrong a few times in my life. Guess we’ll see soon.

1 Like

Except when a G5 takes one of them to the woodshed - that’s always because of “rebuilding”.

2 Likes

I was at that game. I admit I got a little misty-eyed when the announcer would say “Ward with the carry”

1 Like

Yes, there’s is that anomaly.

All I can say to this is:
gambleranonymous.org/ga/
There is a reason why Las Vegas is called the City of Lost Wages.

FPI relies heavily on recruiting rankings which are completely subjective. Horrible system that ESPN constantly promotes.

3 Likes

http://www.gamblersanonymous.org/ga/

You left out the “s” in “gamblers.”

To answer a couple of their front page questions with another question. What if I gamble because I can’t sleep and have an unhappy home life? :slight_smile:

Especially since those recruiting rankings are mostly based on how many P5 programs offer recruits a scholarship. So P5 recruits automatically get a higher rating, meaning P5 teams automatically get a higher FPI.

3 Likes

Bingo