UH Rugby: Sport of the Future?

Topics like this turn our board into those weird ass FB groups like Coog Nation and Coogs House.

Rugby isn’t even an NCAA sport. Why not invest in other programs?! Or look to bring in NCAA governed sports?! This is a hard, hard pass.

1 Like

Rugby is a great club sport. Varsity … no thanks.

That goes for the Water Polo club team, too.

3 Likes

No thank you.

2 Likes

Agreed.

No men’s soccer, no ice hockey, no field hockey, no rugby, no water polo, no lacrosse, no wrestling, no Quidditch, no chess, no cricket, no handball, no dodgeball, no equestrian, no gymnastics, no pickle ball, no fishing, no bowling and no rodeo varsity teams would add any value to UH. They would all be massive money pits and a total waste of athletic funds.

UH is already very well positioned with athletic programs for the Big XII. More than anything, we just need to win where it counts, Football and basketball.

5 Likes

I would rather watch rugby over soccer any day! Rugby is somewhat like football only without all the pads! Violent, hard-hitting manly sport! I think people would love it once they see it!

1 Like

Men’s futbol would be awesome, would have instant support. The ladies are kicking ass this year. Just beat ranked UCF. Rugby sounds cool too.

2 Likes

Really?

Yes, really. Then when the first football game came about between Houston HS and the Galveston team, it ended prematurely when an uncontrolled brawl broke out (much more of a brawl than the so-called “massive brawl” that broke out between a few fat people at NRG during the UH-Tech game).

1 Like

I think we should try to get a woman’s gymnastics program though as the big 12, no pun intended, is big on it. Then we could start a men’s tennis team which the big 12 not only sponsors but has several high profile successful teams.

Speaking of soccer…our ladies just upset #14 ranked UCF tonight!!!

5 Likes

And as we’ve discussed before…OF COURSE women’s gymnastics needs to be the next sport added!

Only problem with men’s soccer is the big 12 doesn’t sponsor it. That’s why I suggested men’s tennis which they do sponsor. And with the big 12 allowing us to manage our tier 3 rights it could be more beneficial for us in the long run to add a sport that the big 12 actually sponsors.

Men’s swimming

1 Like

Oh yeah. No men’s soccer.

Women’s gymnastics…and if we add a men’s sport, then wrestling, a sport in which the Big 12 is a POWERHOUSE!!!

1 Like

That’s another good one, forgot about wrestling.

It would take a decade to win just a few wrestling matches in the B12. I watched OU and Gable’s Iowa face off years ago in Lloyd Noble. Packed to the gills!!!

I guess those were the days of the late 1800’s when Texas was justice a baby of the USA and the British culture and way of life were still dominant in America.

So would I, but I think it’s a tough sell. A great combination of football and soccer, but I think football fans stick with football and soccer fans stick with soccer.

2 Likes

Way to go Lady Coogs!

Women’s Rugby is NCAA Sponsored.

So that, gymnastics, and men’s soccer/hockey. BOOM.