UH Rugby: Sport of the Future?

I don’t mind soccer if we could win a few championships in it. I just don’t like watching it because it takes all day to score 1 point, and therefore, it is extremely boring to watch!

I like the concept of soccer a lot more than I like watching soccer games.

Maybe if we got a team and it did well I’d give it a go, though.

We would dominate the area. Being the most diverse school in the nation and also having an MLS team next to us, people could come out and support.

1 Like

What the … *&^%! There’s Women’s rugby, but no men’s rugby in college? How do they play the game — tagging each other? Maybe in Bikinis?

I hope you are right!

A women’s rugby team would be cool and help on the other side of the Title IX ledger from men’s soccer or wrestling or whatever.

I think the biggest problem with starting a Men’s Soccer team is that there is a very substantial Men’s Soccer pyramid in the US already that would crowd the team out.

If UH does decide it needs a Men’s Soccer team, it may be prudent to avoid the NCAA and just go the UNAM route, if possible – own a salaried team in the USL. I haven’t done the math, but that might even be cheaper.

2 Likes

We don’t need obscure, meaningless sports added to our athletic department.

1 Like

Football without helmets. Sounds great.

Football games are mostly commercials, the soccer people would say football is boring as well. Why not both? Speaking of Pumas, they were here last night at BBVA for a random tourney

I would either do Men’s Wrestling or Soccer and if we can’t add gymnastics add women’s equestrian. Daughter is in that field and it is growing in collegiate athletics

I’d imagine equestrian is one of the highest cost-per-athlete sports that the NCAA sponsors, if not the highest. Horses and their housing and transport and care ain’t cheap.

1 Like

A lot of that is donated by donors. Donors are the I es who pay for the stables and feed. I have oooked it up and confirmed it already

Stables and feed, fine. But do the donors also pay for vet care, transport, and the horses themselves? (I legitimately don’t know)

They do wear a soft helmet.

Soccer can be very boring, and I was a STH for the Chicago Fire for 13 years at one time. Been to USMNT WCQ, WC games, USOC games, USOC Championships and Concacaf tourneys. Big games were fun, but mid season games between middling teams can be a bore fest and too many fake sniper shots occur in the 90 minute plus game. Up side, games were pretty much done in under two hours, you could plan around it.

Besides, Big XII doesn’t support men’s soccer so that ain’t happening UH.

When I do look at the slate men’s and women’s team sports in the Big XII, UH is situated perfectly in both areas and doesn’t need to add anything.

Houston should focus its resources on winning football games and basketball games. Those are the sports that pay the bills and get noticed for any realignment …. and football first by a long shot. No need to add sports when we need money to make up for lost time and invest in the growing arms race for talent.

2 Likes

The bigger schools get the majority donated to include vet, transportation, maintenance, etc. The mid to smaller schools have partnerships to where the the majority of expenses are free due to internships etc. and exchanges. Transportation I have seen it a combo with school and donors but is for the team and equipment only. The horses don’t get transported due to health concerns. When competing the hosting the team uses their horses for the tournaments.

TCU, Baylor, SMU, TAMU are the big schools in Tx. Tech has a smaller team as well as West Tamu and another school. Then you have Ok State, Fresno State, and pretty much half of the SEC schools now have teams and are considered the big schools. The northeast has Div 2 and 3 teams.

I love wrestling, been to several Iowa wrestling matches, including the one at Kinnick Stadium for a wrestling, football double header. Iowa vs Okie State wrestling at 11am and Iowa vs Minnesota football at 7:30 PM.

It was a total blast. Tailgated before the wrestling and again for the football game. It was truly an all-dayer.

#3 Iowa wrestling won over #1 Okie State in front of over 47,000 of us fans, then the Hawks beat Minny in front of 70,000+.

The cool thing was there were a few hundred Okie State fans at Kinnick for wrestling then they drove the 3 hours to Ames for their football game at Iowa State that night.

That was a fun November weekend, for sure.

But don’t see UH doing wrestling, either. Especially with Title 9 compliance.

What a huge upset. UCF beat Texas 4-0, Ole Miss 3-0, Florida 2-0, Miami 2-0, and Penn State 2-1 earlier this year! P5.

This is Texas horses and Texas go to together. Bring on the equestrian team! Actually I prefer rodeo is there a such thing as intercollegiate rodeo