Uncomfortable conversation - attendance

Frankly, part of the attendance problem is the schedule. No insult intended, but before UH went to the AAC, most UH people had never heard of East Carolina, Temple, USF, or UCF etc. Further, I have met only a handfull of people who went to these schools. I love that we play TT because my brother is a Tech guy and I love to razz him. Likewise, when I lived in Houston, I always knew somebody from ATM or Baylor or some (mainly SWC schools) that I could razz a little. It made going to the games fun. I have always wondered why UH did not get home and home games with LSU and Arkansas and make that a regular thing?? I remember PSJ going to Barnhill for bball. It was pretty wild. LSU isnā€™t far and they would pack any stadium UH would use.

4 Likes

I hope theyā€™ve heard of ECU, UCF, etc. They made the move to the AAC, from CUSA, with us.

2 Likes

There are so many things wrong right now itā€™s sad, starting with the head coach. But, Iā€™m still there with my group. Iā€™m a Cougar fan and will be forever. Iā€™ll curse CDH, write the AD about hiring a drunk for a head coach, but still show up.

4 Likes

Where were these tacos?!?!?!

Just win baby!! And bring in quality opponents!

1 Like

Being a holder of multi season ticket for 50+ years, i can count the number of home games ivā€™e missed on 1 hand, however, letā€™s not forget we are in a pandemic and plus a large number of our fans including me, are up in age.

8 Likes

What was announced attendance?

Attendance was 22,998. Found it on ESPN game recap

1 Like

Waiting for Coogfans to solve to this problemā€¦

2 Likes

Ohio State is never playing in Tulsa. That was a buy game. Tulsa does that to keep their program afloat. $500,000-1,000,000 to lose. We did that for 15 years playing Tennessee, Ohio State, Georgia, LSU, Florida, Michigan, and Alabama with no return games and we almost had to shut our program down.

Thatā€™s why I care about tickets sold. We need 5,000 season ticket subscribers and 20,000 season tickets sold to become a healthy program. We hit that in 2016. Itā€™s possible.

11 Likes

If we beat Navy, Tulsa and Tulane (possible) and are 5-1 in late October (cooler, more Covid comfort) I expect the crowds to be larger.

1 Like

So two 25k games vs one 40k game. Two likely wins vs one likely loss

We have one of the better G5 records against P5 programs over the last 15 years.

If our coaches are doing their job, Iā€™ll take my chances against anyone not named Alabama.

Weā€™ve beaten top 5 ranked opponents MULTIPLE times.

1 Like

Seriously, you think LSU or Arkansas will do a home and away with UH ?

Maybe in a few years, but not now ( I doubt ever) and they damn sure will not come to TDECU.

In your opinion, what is biggest NAMED opponent that came to TDECU ?

I hate to say it but itā€™s probably Texas Tech. BUT I do remember UCLA coming to Robertson and getting their butts whipped. The reason I remember is I went to the UCLA game at the Rose Bowl when Case blew up his knee. Now is a good time to try to GET LSU and ARKY- play them at Reliant if they want.

3 Likes

Yes. Some people on this board are obsessed with college sports. However, many current students as well as alumni are not. They are not going to put their personal health at risk sitting next to someone who may be unvaccinated and unmasked. Simple as that.

Again Houston is a major metro area with a lot of other things to do. In addition, there are a lot of people who live in Houston who are not from Houston, so they have no attachment to UH, so getting them to go to a UH football game, especially in a pandemic when we have not been that successful, is a hard sell.

1 Like

And has our current coach beat a ranked team or even a team with a winning record?

1 Like

I was thinking Louisville the year they had Lamar Jackson, but they were obligated by being in the AAC before they went to the ACC.

I am waiting for a true Big Boy program to play us in TDECUā€¦ after all, it is our home field !!

I have my doubts because I believe they will insist on NRG and our administration will cave !!

I was there with my friend and plan to be there every game. Not much into giving and making excuses.

1 Like

Wasnt Louisville ranked? But it was also a Thursday night game, blowing away the idea we canā€™t have good attendence on week nights

2 Likes