UPDATE: Wiseman suspended 12 games

The article I read said it was 2008. 2018 is a whole different matter.

2 Likes

its both
 penny donated to memphis in 2008
thats the sole reason he’s considered a booster, nothing since

he helped wiseman move to memphis as a sophmore in high school before he was even a possibility for the memphis job

Come on, who pays for a family to move from Nashville to Memphis to play for an AAU team. Penny had the plan to become Memphis’ coach from the get go. He wanted the Wiseman kid and others also from the get go.

This was planned by Hardeway and Memphis from the get go.

It smells.

Seems to me that the NCAA is an organization and therefore can make rules to be in organization.

If they cannot, then there should be no NCAA organization
then Katy bar the door !!

I’m old and I will just exit the college games sooner !!

Penny is not good for college basketball, he is a Larry Brown type (of course, he hasn’t proven that he can coach
but that he can cheat).

Oh, by the by, this occurred before Penny was the Memphis coach and he was therefore a booster of the Memphis program
and that is what the ruling was all about !!

6 Likes

You already know how this is going to go. Its going to be a back and forth all season in the courts between the NCAA and Memphis and at seasons end he goes pro and Memphis has to vacate all the wins.

4 Likes

I call it Calaparied !!

1 Like

They will have to vacate all the wins he played in.
If they (probably) have an NCAA Tourney team without him, it keeps them out.

Edit:
The NCAA statement in the post below= NCAA is going to shine that Memphis behind for not bowing down to them.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/InsidetheNCAA/status/1192975455453896706

So that’s how Penny gets the number one recruiting class. I hope the NCAA isn’t digging deeper into Memphis recruiting.

2 Likes

This is such a cut and dry case of cheating it’s not even worth debating. I mean, the attorney is going to claim that the kid didn’t know, but come on. Like Lebron didn’t know where the Hummer showed up from when he was 16 years old. Yes it’s unfortunate that a Memphis gets dinged when UNC goes free, but this is just the malfeasance that has been uncovered. The only question now is whether Memphis stands behind its coach or it fires him and lets Mike Miller take over. Let’s also be real, how many other Penny AAU kids were getting bonuses? How many of them followed to Memphis?

12 Likes

Yeah right !

That would be ALL of them !!

1 Like

So what? Reggie Bush won the Heisman and a bunch of games. Louisville won a hoops title (and is back in the top 5 currently I’ll add.) No one cares about the NCAA abandoning wins after the fact and schools have come back from worse. And they don’t have to give back all the revenue from the tickets and t-shirts they sell during their run.

This just encourages the Bamas of the world to find rich alums, tell them not to give a cent to the school, and put it all to the recruits so they were never “boosters.”

3 Likes

Understand your points on the macro level but on the micro level the players, staff, and fans want to play in the tourney.

Without the wins he plays in that probably won’t happen.
Simple as that.

They have a huge one vs Oregon on tuesday where they need him.
Most of their games in the near term are wins with or without him.

2 Likes

That I agree with I’d have a judge do this around March 1. Memphis must be confident they’ll win.

Wiseman did not play tonight(found out later he did)
I have to think Memphis is in deep poop over this
but then again I will never understand how North Carolina and even Kentucky remains untouched by the NCAA
what Memphis did for the Wiseman family is just the tip of the elite recruiting iceberg

3 Likes

“Wiseman did not play tonight”
He is in the box score.

2 Likes

Uhh, he did play

1 Like

Ok, I looked on Score and he did not show up in the boxscore
I can’t understand why Memphis would play him in a meaningless game knowing that the hatchet is fixing to fall

1 Like

This is ridiculous. Let the young man play.

2 Likes

Serious question
on what basis is it ridiculous?

Happened in 2017 when PH was already in negotiations to take over Memphis. Might as well disband any notion of oversight (as bad as it is) by the NCAA an just admit D-1 revenue sports are semi pro and open the floodgates.

5 Likes