Upon Renegotiating The PAC 12’s Media Contract

Any chance this all works into a deal sweetener for either conference.

I don’t know either. But we do know what Tulane, Tulsa, and USF pull here which is close to zero.

I would think there are a lot of ASU alums here. I have always been surprised by how many Washington alums there are here. I have a friend in Bellaire from UW. He says he knows five in his neighborhood alone.

I doubt Cal would sellout. We didn’t sell out for Arizona. Just saying.

Our attendance will increase in Big XII though.

Conference games against Texas teams, BYU and Oklahoma State will draw. If we’re ranked or close to it, those will sellout.

Games against the other conference mates will outdraw ECU, USF, Tulane and Tulsa. That’s a given and an an overall improvement.

2 Likes

You go west young man.

Agree. And that was an Arizona team with a former UH coach. Houstonians would be only slightly more interested in seeing Cal vs UH over ECU vs UH. The Big XII brings the most fans to the stadium but I am open to arguments that are based on the Big XII stability vs the PAC12.

Couldn’t you add the word “BIG” on the belly of the Cougar just below the XII logo!

Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington, Oregon, ASU, Colorado would draw well vs.

Baylor, Tech, TCU, OSU, KSU, ISU, and WVU.

I think WSU, OSU, Cal and UA would draw better than Temple, ECU, USF, and Tulane

I second JohnnyCougar’s post.

I think he has it right.

Conference are far more than about athletic’s. Conference’s are about academic’s, collaboration research dollars grants etc. especially when it comes to getting state funding. From this perspective conference’s use to be based on regional affiliation but that seems to fly out the window with conference’s adding schools out of their historical footprints as we all know tv and media powers have a lot to do with this . From the perspective of the ESPN’s of the world they really couldn’t careless about the amount of butts in the seats at any the stadium, they don’t receive any of that revenue, they only care about the amount of eyeballs watching on TV or other media. From an asthetic point it makes great theater to have a stadium full of screaming enthusiastic fans. If you have a stadium half full with 25k fans but have watching 1m fans. Which would you choose? The answer is obvious. The cold hard fact’s are, college fan attendance been trending down over the years even for blue blood teams, before covid. Some due to cost of tickets some due to have other means to consume the product i.e., other media. Some due to generational difference and change about sports in general and what one generation wants to consume as entertainment.

1 Like

Do they have an automatic spot in the B1G 10 if they ever chose to upgrade their athletics?

I go to the PAC in a NY minute. As I recall, there was much talk a month ago saying the Big 12 was dead. The ONLY factor that actually changed is UH got invited to join. All the other variables are the same.

3 Likes

I don’t know, but I doubt it.

As I said, as of 2016, they are not even “academic” members of the B1G any longer.

I doubt they’d get an automatic invite.

Northwestern probably wouldn’t want another Chicago private school, for one thing, and the conference as a whole might not want three Illinois schools.

That said, Chicago has zero chance of ever going back to big-time sports. Their football stadium seats like 1500 people.

Houston ain’t Lubbock

“We just got into the Big 12 after 26 years of trying to get into a Power 5 conference and now people want to leave and go to the Pac-12…” UH got scr**ed so many times in the last 50 years it is absurd to stand pat. That ‘standing still’ thang got UH into C-USA. The other conferences are going forward with conference expansion, and anybody sitting on their butt can expect bad things to happen. Going to the PAC would move UH from a regional brand to national. Frankly I would LOVE for UH to be able to say to the Big 12 “Thanks for the checks…CYA”

2 Likes

I looked in my dads old Houstonian yearbooks from 1963-1966 and never saw it.

Update: Went to visit my uncle today and he has that logo as a refrigerator magnet. He isn’t sure when/where he got it, but I know he went to UH from 1959 to 1962.

Yep I agree. Any of the would bolt if they got the invite. Surveyed a few of our future B12 mates fb boards. See if they were following the story put out by the Star Telegram. Some are in disbelief. Some see the sense of it by the PAC. Some are, resigned to possibly being considered irrelevant, some are just plain pissed at this upstart school who they look down their noses, at being considered for the PAC . Why they want them mentality. Some people are just plain old blind to to the existing landscape and realities of CFB. This is no time to rest on our laurels. Got to keep pushing on.

I agree UH would take the money and bolt for the PAC-12. However, the football fan prefers the B12 teams that would be visiting Houston every season.

1 Like

Cal is interesting because they don’t draw that well at home. But they travel decently. Pep band goes to all away games and there’s a group of 500-1,000 that seem to go to ever road game. I’d imagine they’d have 2,500+ in Houston which is more than any AAC school has brought outside of Navy and maybe Memphis.

1 Like

I’m for the stability of the PAC. If UH is placed in an East Division of the B12 (UH,BAY, ISU, UC, WVA, UCF) travel could be less desirable that being in an Eastern pod of the PAC.

IT could be UH’s time to move and just keep moving. Standing still was a laugher.

1 Like