Upon Renegotiating The PAC 12’s Media Contract

REVENGE !! :rofl:

1 Like

love how we claim BYU’s work for our own.

2 Likes

We need a Big 12 logo with this cat

9 Likes

They don’t mind. Their just happy to be in the B12.
:grin:

1 Like

The PAC12 invites us and then USC and others decide to go to the BIG10?
Do you really think our leaders would accept an invite without 100% commitments that the blue blood would not leave. You sure think our leaders do not score too well on their iq scores.
The PAC12 has a new commissioner to make more money for their league. He is not there to eat at the French Laundry or go to the beach. The PAC12 has blue bloods and there are not has been any credible talks that they were joining the BIG, SEC, BIG12 or ACC.

This Cougar is an imposter. He’s not missing a finger.
:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

You sure are good at talking down to people. Psshh. Get out of here w that baloney. U tried it w me last week, not going to work. :face_with_raised_eyebrow::rage:

1 Like

Pac10 and Big12 both offer. Leverage. Get a full cut of the TV money from the 12

I disagree about the PAC dwellers vs the AAC dwellers.

The PAC schools have great fans on average. And they bring a mystique that ECU, Tulsa, Tulane, and Temple could only dream about.

2 Likes

CoogR, any idea what year that logo came out ?

Can someone explain to me why academics are so important to the Big10 when it comes to inviting mew members to the conference? I’m legit asking because I don’t know. Does that equal bigger research grants or something? I’m trying to figure out how that helps at the conference level rather than just at the school level.

Answer: because the B1G is BOTH a sports conference AND an academic consortium.

It’s different from other sports conferences in that regard.

See here:

B1G grad school alum (Illinois) here.

3 Likes

Hoooold up. Wait just one gosh-darn second here. Arizona has a basketball national title, and ASU is pretty regularly ranked in both revenue sports. ASU also has a top-3 enrollment in the nation and packs the stands pretty consistently. Even Cal would sell out a TDECU-sized stadium. Calling those “hardly an improvement over” the bottom third of the AAC is something close to slander.

3 Likes

Not sure they’d draw huge crowds at a game in Houston though.

How big are their local alumni bases?

I can’t imagine the local casual sports fan getting too excited about them.

No. Not sure. I found on twitter. Perhaps someone from this board was the one who posted it.

In addition to the previously-discussed BTAA, it’s also a matter of branding; conferences serve as a sort of shorthand for describing the schools in them, and adding a school to your conference puts their name next to yours every time someone checks your conference standings. The Ivy League is probably the best example of that, but if I say that a university “feels like a Big Ten school,” you’d still probably intuit what I meant by that. Likewise, if I said a school “feels like it belongs in C-USA,” that carries a far more negative connotation. That kind of branding has a power that university presidents don’t want to dilute.

I’m too lazy to look it up, but isn’t the University of Chicago, a charter member of the B1G, but dropped down to Div III for athletics, also a member?

Chicago dropped big-time athletics during WWII and has been a Division III school for a long time.

Despite that, they remained an “academic” member of the B1G until 2016.

Though no longer a member, UChicago still participates in some BTAA activities as an affiliate.

Thanks, I wasn’t aware of that. Well, they can always claim the first Heisman trophy winner.

Realistically, the only schools that are going to draw people to TDECU are The University of Houston Cougars and whoever’s in the top 15 that week. But certainly, any of the Pac-12 schools would draw more eyes than an AAC nobody.

FWIW, ASU’s student body is larger than Tulsa, Tulane, ECU, and Temple combined. UA is larger than Tulane, Tulsa, and either of the other two.