Ut got ask

UT has the richest, most valuable and profitable AD in the country, with extremely rich backers. Raising the $2 million to buy out Herman’s contract is child’s play. Keep in mind that last year they raised more than $25 million in less than a week! Money is not an issue for them! I doubt their AD had to pay for the buyout anyway, they probably just had one of their wealthy patrons cut a check for the entire amount.

1 Like

FTATHTRIO…NO ONE does less with more. TU will NEVER, EVER let UH even get close to a even playing field. Seriously, they’d be crazy to let that happen…they’re arrogant and loaded but not stupid

3 Likes

Thread Title: Ut got ask

Say what? Please say that again - in English. Thanks!

1 Like

Pat, he meant to say UT got asked. From his post:
“When UH started to win
and beat some outside of tx the sports media began to ask
ut why they did not play UH. They got asked so many times
that it began to hurt their claim to be the best in Tx.”

Corrections to his post in bold.

2 Likes

Agree with the last about them doing less with more. Don’t agree with your point about UH being a tiger just waiting to awaken. We have not exactly dominated the AAC where all our peer programs face the same challenges we do.

If we had been consistently dominant in the AAC you would have a valid point. Let’s become kickass dominant in our present conference before saying others are afraid of us. As things stand even our own peers don’t seem much afraid of us!

2 Likes

The history of our program has been the same. Except for a few years in the SWC, our record indicates that we are slightly above a .500 football program. We had an overall winning record in the SWC, winning something around 60% of our games.
In our 17 years in CUSA we had a losing record, but just barely. I can’t believe we were in that conference for so long.
The American is our best conference we’ve been in as far as more wins than losses and hopefully that continues.

But with an overall winning record of 55%, I wouldn’t say anyone is particularly scared of us.

But it sure is fun when we have a huge win.

2 Likes

Then let us in on the $$$. It’s simple math…IF…UH was on semi-equal footing with TU do you not think we’d be a holy pain in their side ? They bring in $220M vs $55 for UH right now. Would you let your potential largest competitor gain a stronghold ? No, that’s just plain stupid if you can avoid it… TU and, more so ATM, will always have legacy kids go there but to the other 95% they’ll pick Houston over Austin and BCS all day and night IF in a big shiny P5 playing on the tube vs the big boys. Dominating the AAC/CUSA/G5 would be great but even the cellar dwellers in P5 are much better off… that’s all I am saying

1 Like

How can we do that when coaches get poached and we lose great players as a result of the poaching??? Then the kids have to get used to a new system after they were taught the previous coaches system. Being dominant with losing coaches is near impossible (yes Boise, UCFand Memphis was able to do it, but not highly likely).

1 Like

So you are confirming that UH isn’t in the elites even within our conference.

Or the folks that pick the replacements haven’t been competent. Which I guess is the same thing.

Not what I am saying at all. For most, money talks. Some have used us as a stepping stone, however, it is a process to find a new coach that is the right fit. What we have been doing is amazing. But three schools I mentioned had immediate success after losing coaches, which is rare. Kidd must learn a new system every new hire.

AAC teams aren’t afraid to play us, but UT does! To Memphis, Cinci, and other AAC conference mates losing to us is not that big of a deal, but to UT losing to us is extremely humiliating and unforgiving for its football team! It’s one of those things for UT where a win against UH isn’t that big of a reward but a loss is completely devastating!

1 Like

The reason they were able to do so was because their coaches were left with a lot of talent from the previous coaches. Those previous coaches were building for the long term, partly in case they didn’t get poached, and partly because they had more integrity than the guys we had that were only interested inexploiting us for a bigger payday elsewhere (with the exception of Levine who is a man of high integrity).

3 Likes

@P5_OR_Bust texas is very much afraid of us. Remember when UH offered to play them in a series in exchange for Hermie’s buyout and they said no? We were giving them free money essentially. Just the threat of UH being perceived as equals by the general public made them wet the bed; imagine if we could use the same recruiting pitch that many schools use against us (opportunities to play for a NC)…the scent of urine from Austin would be so pungent, you could smell it at the gates of TDECU.

They’re cowards and we know they are.

Edit: just read your earlier comments on this. Lol they’re still chickens.

1 Like

Bingo, exactly what I said above! Thank you:

“Instead of playing a two game series over paying the buyout… They preferred to pay buyout…says a lot about “a team with no fear”. You are willing to play Rice or Texas State, but not Little ole Houston.”

The saw what happened to Florida State and OU…

1 Like

The money in Houston is gigantic and UT people know it. The cost of making UH an empire is trivial compared to what is developing here. When our billionaires number in double digits our endowed chairs, endowment over all will rise to the UT level. Instead of welcoming us, however, they fear losing their status. They are the opposite of Berkeley and UCLA who support each other.

All G5 programs lose coaches. Let’s what CDH accomplishes. Coaching turnover is clearly a reason from inconsistent and lack of program dominance. Let’s see how it goes from now on. CDHs buyout is so high that the it will make even P5 programs think twice before trying to poach him. That’s a step in the right direction.

1 Like

When… when… when. When all the things you say will happen have happened then we’ll see how much power we have. Right now we have no power to force UT to do anything they don’t want to do.

1 Like

The math and $ come down to how much would adding UH (or any other program) add to UTs bottom line immediately and how UHs value will grow over time.

I don’t know how much UH is valued by media. I do know that to add just $1M to each Big 12 programs media take this year, UH would have to be worth no less than $51 million in media value. If UH is worth that much (that’s a Big 10/SEC level of value), why aren’t the ACC and Pac 12 wooing UH?

The next question becomes would the Big 12 (or any conference P5 or G5) consider expansion to be worth it for a 2.5% gain in revenue. Even if such an amount covers the added travel costs for the Big 12 program outside Texas, their net gain will be lower than 2.5%.

Any expansion of any P5 will be predicated on net value gain. There will be a lower bound foe this gain below which conferences will not consider expansion worth it. How much a conference stands to gain if it expands will be determined by the media players.

That’s all I can be sure of. UT may hate UH, may want to do everything it can to suppress and keep UH down, can all be stipulated. UT will never support adding UH to the Big 12 unless UH comes with a huge pot of gold!

And we never will. People need to accept the things we can’t change. UT will never lose its status in Texas, they just don’t want anyone else attaining equal, or even near equal, status. Regardless, UH will never be the flagship school in Texas; but we can be a really great school in Texas. We just need our reputation to catch up with reality.

2 Likes

Probably not a valid comparison here as UCLA and Berkeley are in the same University system. UH is not a part of UT system.

1 Like