Ut got ask

I think that is a reflection of the AAC’s and PAC12’s shortsightedness than on any shortcomings of UH! They look at how the state pours most of the resources into those two schools and how both of them are members of major conferences and think to themselves these two schools must be completely owning the entire Houston market, which isn’t true!

What they don’t know is the fact that UH will be a major player once it is given an opportunity to shine in a major conference! UH won’t have the same attendance problems that it currently has if it is competing against major opponents in athletics. The school has learned its lesson, the fanbase is growing, and it is ready for the big stage! There is a lot of potential with UH! More so than just about all of the other non-Power5 schools!

2 Likes

No, it is not; and let’s keep it that way! If we were in the same system, they would control everything we ever tried to do. NEVER - EVER - FORGET THAT!

3 Likes

It isn’t and it probably never will be. That’s why the comparison of Berkeley supporting UCLA is not valid.

In reference to the $$$…that only TU and ATM have access to the PUF $ in complete and utter bs. It was established in 1876 and by law only they are allowed in it. There are $15B+ in the fund…and UH doesn’t get a single penny. UH could bring all the tea in China to the table and it still wouldn’t matter…TU will NEVER again give UH access to the same table if there is any way they can impede it

1 Like

Well it’s protected money constitutionally. Ans UT and A&M have too many powerful friends to allow anyone else to access that money. It’s the one thing that all UT and A&M supporters are completely united on.

As far as bringing all the tea in China is concerned I disagree. I think there is an amount of money that is so large that even UT will not be able to say no to it. I estimate it to be at least $15 million. A piddly amount like $2 million or $5 million will not cut it.

Pat’s right, if we were in the UT system we would get the treatment UAB gets from Bama.

4 Likes

They need at least $15M…to buy out their coaches…Again…

1 Like

UT is not afraid of UH. Saying it often enough does not make it true. It is hard to be arrogant and afraid at the same time. They (power people at UT) think very highly of themselves and look down at UH. They do not see a benefit for playing. Many big name schools in the Big 12, SEC, & Big 10 like to schedule teams that are less competitive to give them given wins for rankings and a chance to practice some of their plays and get experience for players - a chance to schedule a scrimmage. UH does not offer that - no benefit, not that their afraid.

Ex-act-ly! Translation: since UH does not offer that, they don’t play UH; thus, they ARE afraid!

6 Likes

Being indifferent or arrogant or whatever you call it is in fact fear. They can say whatever. You play Rice, Texas State, Louisiana Monroe, etc, because you know those are auto-wins…you refuse UH because UH may kick that Butt. UH don’t want a payday, we just want to kick tail. Other schools want a payday. UT know that UH may beat them thus…we don’t want to play Houston.

3 Likes

That’s the same as saying all the posters who complain about UH playing rice are actually afraid of rice. When in fact, we see no benefit beyond saving the UH athletics money in travel cost. I have no fear rice will beat us. If they do happen to beat us then it’s a barometer that our season will be toast.

1 Like

I am not one of those posters. Not opposed to playing Rice. UT is making excuses. We will not play Houston, but we will play Rice at NRG. It is not the same, friend. Look at who they are willing to play. There is a heated grudge there…huge difference. We don’t like Rice, but we will play them.

2 Likes

That is the UT party line, but the fact is they are afraid. No amount of obfuscation on the part of UT can disguise that fact.

4 Likes

Scared

4 Likes

I don’t get the logic here. UT regularly loses to Baylor, Tech and TCU, why would they be afraid of losing to UH?

UT does not want to play UH, that’s a given. There could be many reasons for that, fear of losing is probably very low on the list, if t’s there at all.

2 Likes

Devil advocating here, what if this isnt about football at all? It’s about money. But having a chance to stick it to us is a side benefit.

If Pez went to Texas and said, “We’d love to play you guys but we’re looking to enter this deal as equals. So a 1-1 at DKR and TDECU or we can move to NRG with the split favoring Houston.” That’s a pretty equal deal or maybe to sweeten the deal Pez after to make it more favorable to Texas.

But along comes Rice, “Texas please play us, we’ll give you whatever you want. 3-1? Done. Move the game to NRG? Done. 70-30 split in your favor? Done.” That’s not hard math if I’m Texas I get a 99% win and all the money.

Great point. In terms of money and Houston exposure, how would playing UH be any better for UT over playing Rice?

Money wise there’s no way playing Rice isn’t a better deal, I’m willing to bet.
Exposure I think is just an outdated argument, period end of story. 20+ years ago there was certainly a point to me made about being in Houston for a team. But any team with a profile similar to Texas, I have to try a lot harder to NOT be exposed to those teams. I also get if maybe you’re a school of lower resources so you recruit and play a game at the same time. But for schools of near unlimited resources and in Texas’s case literally a 20 minute plane ride away it’s irrelevant.

Lol no EatEmUp, please let him continue. This is getting good. :popcorn:

2 Likes

They don’t hate those schools like they hate us. Losing to us make them upset. You know what OU said before we played them. If they knew Houston was going to be good, they would have never scheduled that game. UT don’t want to play a good Houston. They don’t want to face us period. FEAR is the reason and MONEY or FANS have nothing to do with it. You remember the last game they took them goalposts down when they finally won over UH after 3 straight embarrassing loses? I can’t speak for everyone, but a furniture place loss a sale from me because the loser salesman couldn’t get past my UH Jersey while we were in CUSA. The Houston Hate is real.

1 Like