Ut got ask

I think a UH vs UT ball game would bring in more fans than UT vs Rice. Thus more money.

3 Likes

But would we allow them to keep the bulk of all receipts including concessions? If not then it makes more financial sense to play rice

How? 100,000 at UT vs UH would be greater than 30,000 vs Rice.

2 Likes

They hell they aren’t. Losing to UH is MUCH, MUCH worse for Bonghorn Nation than BU, TCU, TT etc.

2 Likes

Fear is the excuse people use to make themselves feel better. UT, and other similar schools, are simply applying risk management ideas. I have followed enough of the smaller schools and have seen this scheduling tactic applied to many. All the schools had fans that claimed it was fear, when it really wasn’t.

UT has a proven track record for scheduling teams that can beat them. ie LSU just recently, Ohio State as well.

This post is correct in that losing to UH is worse. TCU, TT, BU are all in a MMC, major money conference (hate the P5 term), thus perception is they are better. They do have the advantage of getting higher rated recruits due to conference affliation.

UH has not earned the reputation Boise had when at the top of their game, and even then they were still looked at as being lesser than many.

“Fear is the excuse people use to make themselves feel better.”

I only speak truth in these situations, I don’t need to feel better about anything, but I know FEAR when I see it.

“UT, and other similar schools, are simply applying risk management ideas.”

Not true, what is at risk?? Arrogance? Their huge bloated heads? Where is the management part? Total balogne you are speaking.

" I have followed enough of the smaller schools and have seen this scheduling tactic applied to many. "

First off, UH isn’t a small school, which shows your true colors
with over 45,000 students and third largest school in the State of Texas, you have no idea what you are talking about.

“All the schools had fans that claimed it was fear, when it really wasn’t.”

Again, a lie from the arrogant people. UT play other schools and they Fear UH.

“UT has a proven track record for scheduling teams that can beat them. ie LSU just recently, Ohio State as well.”

You are telling me Rice, Louisiana Monroe, Texas State, Wyoming, etc are schools that can beat UT??? Okay, you are full of it and drunk!

3 Likes

UH hasn’t earned the reputation
guess you picked a bad time to quit sniffing glue.

2 Likes

Texas didn’t once play TCU after SWC split up, yet supported their addition to the Big 12.

It was between TCU and UH
Deloss Dodds didn’t want Houston
hello, TCU.

1 Like

Actually that seems to be their non-conference scheduling policy. 1 really tough intersectional game with a major power, 1 gimme, 1 kinda in the middle but leaning more towards the gimme side of things.

They don’t play SMU either. Although I’m sure SMU would love to play them. Once they left the SWC it was almost a clean break. Rice is a game they play in Houston every few years to keep the Houston alumni happy. Those alumni don’t care whether it’s UH or Rice, they just want to see Texas play in Houston.

There may be something to the point about UH attracting a larger crowd. In 2019 when Texas played Rice at NRG, the game only attracted 42,000. Compare that to UH v OU which attracted 72,000 despite being on national TV. If for each of those 30,000 additional butts, the visiting tram got just $5 per butt, that’s still $150,000 more in revenue.

Of course UH would have to agree to play the game at NRG for one. At TD the attendance (even as a sell out) won’t be much higher than what Rice pulled in. The problem is that UT is under no obligation to play UH, and frankly other than UH fans no one really cares. UT isn’t being taunted by ESPN or CBS for being “afraid” of UH.

Heck just to see how UT would react it might be worth it to offer a 2 for 1. It’ll be comical to see the spin they put trying to explain why they still won’t play UH. That would also put them in a position of being called out by others for unreasonably avoiding UH particularly when UH is being so accommodating.

Again, not buying that. They have a preference: Rice is it. They play OU in Dallas every year.

UofH status will be huge in a new and separate FBS division 1 G5 league
All we need is for a network to lay the big bucks down on a G5 playoff, enough bucks for every G5 program to want to join
Of course a G5 playoff would include all division winners and some wildcards too and no stinking committee and real football fans will flock to see our real and better playoffs

Didn’t ESPN already make such an offer and was told no thank you by G5? I doubt the money would be anywhere near P5 playoff or TV money.

Ok, will try and tackle these comments

1. fear as you see it is truth as you see it, fine.

2. What is at risk is playoff opportunities. If UT loses to UH and they are in consideration for the College Football Invitational, the UH loss could be a factor. This is not just UT, but how the committee and other major schools such ass Ohio St, Alabama, Georgia see UH. It is a perception across college football from fans of many schools. If you just see only UT and UH, you will not get the whole picture.

3. In regards to smaller school, it has nothing to do with student body size. It is about history, perception, “blue blood”, wins/losses, etc. student body is way down the list otherwise UCF would be the football power with A&M. Most FBS schools have been playing football longer than UH which started in 1941. Texas Tech (1925) is the only Big 12 team that started after 1900.

As to “showing my true colors” Have you read my user name? (hint: not a UT supporter)

1. not a lie, but think what you want

2. See P5_or_bust post above. It explains it very well.

1 Like

Being between these two schools does not surprise me to get one more school from Texas in to replace A&M.

Don’t know who the UH AD was at the time but Del Conte went to schmooze UT over dinner and drinks. There were several stories online at the time of his efforts to fill the spot. Did UH do anything at the time?

TV contracts required the Big 12 to get two teams immediately. TCU had already given a year notice to their conference (MWC) they were leaving so could instantly fill the spot. UH would have had to give a one year notice before they could have switched, thus not nearly as easily available.

Also if you compare the two schools at the time, TCU was hands down a better choice in terms of win/loss, attendance, TV ratings.

UH has to be the top of their game so when an opportunity comes along they are prepared to seize it. That is true of many things in life, not just sports.

Don’t underestimate the impact of Del Conte kissing up to DeLoss. Forbes did an entire article of it as an example of how to win friends and influence people. They interviewed Del Conte and he took them through exactly what happened and how.

Have to admire the man. It took balls to show up outside Deloss office unannounced, without an appointment and just wait it out (for several hours) until DeLoss gave in and met him. They ended spending many hours together even having a meal and drinks together.

They became such good friends that DeLoss had no problem endorsing Del Conte to be the Texas AD. Basically he did everything our AD didn’t! In the end it paid off in spades for TCU as well as for Del Conte personally. Maybe time for some AD to try and the Del Conte to Del Conte!

2 Likes

Definitely don’t underestimate his impact had. I read many of the stories on it, which is why I asked what the UH AD had done to promote the Cougars. UT big wigs are very old school boys club (or at least were) and things like that went over well.

Ask Mack Rhodes at Baylor, which was the AD at the time

Say what?