We're a Basketball School

https://twitter.com/UHCougarMBK/status/1176262466247872513

Under 250 season tickets remain

4 Likes

Anyone know how much UH basketball made for then university last season?

How many season tickets are available overall before they sell out

We’ve had home games in the not too distant past where there were less than 250 people (including players, coaches, and workers) in the entire building.

Winning and a top 10 quality head coach works wonders.

3 Likes

[quote=“UHCoog04, post:45, topic:20205”]
We’ve had home games in the not too distant past where there were less than 250 people (including players, coaches, and workers) in the entire building.
[/quote]

Name one game! Never been to one like that, and I expect I have seen more Cougar games than almost anyone.

5 Likes

And a new arena as well.

When coach Dickey was here in 2012 it was the home opener I believe, there was around 250 fans with 500 hisd students from elementary.

2 Likes

I was using a bit of hyperbole, but I think there were some games in the Dickey era/error that would qualify or be very close.

There were a few games at TSU a couple years back that you could count how many people were there.

2 Likes

Yes, we are a basketball school. But more to the point, unlike schools such as Gonzaga or Boise State we are an all sport school. We have nationally relevant teams in football, basketball, baseball, track and field, swimming, golf, softball.

4 Likes

With good architects and engineers, there are ways to add seats to the FC.

I guess in 2011 and 2015 we were a football school lol…Two years to the playoffs does not make us a basketball school…
That said, in the near future I want us to be a football, hoops, baseball, track school…

1 Like

My favorite sport is basketball :basketball:. But want all the UH sports to be successful. Man… But imagine being in a big conference for football, there is a reason why UT or other Texas schools don’t want us to be.

1 Like

I find it hard to believe that UH is a basketball school. The new arena only seats 7000 people. SFA Lumberjacks even have a bigger arena…Far from being a basketball school…

Same could be said about our 40k football stadium not being the biggest compare to Rice lol. At least the product on the court is much better than the one on the field. Sad but true. Wish they were more even with current success.

Lol I know this wasn’t a serious thread but capacity of the stadium means nothing. Duke’s stadium only holds 9000 and it’s a top 2 program.

4 Likes

But Duke is known as the team with the small arena, and it’s 2k bigger than ours…

We could sell out every game for the next decade and we would not crack top 50 in NCAA attendance …
.I wish the arena was bigger, I remember 3/4 years ago I was debating on the forums that I thought the capacity size was too small… and everyone was disagreeing saying we barely sell any tickets, we don’t have the fans, we should take some seats out and make intimate.
i was hoping for a 9k-ish arena. My response was to look at SDSU, who once did 3k attendance but after 7-8 years of building up the team they now do 13k attendance, and I felt we could follow that … Weirdly enough it’s only been 3 years since those debates and we could probably sell out a 9k arena now and we still have room to grow as a program

That and the TV angle focusing on the luxury seats have been but my only complaints arena wise but I’ll probably just learn to accept both

2 Likes

True. But I don’t think we could sell out a 9k arena regularly unless we play in the Big 12 against other Texas schools and a decent out of conference schedule. Too many factors.

1. Even though there is not really a competitive disadvantage at basketball as there is in football, opponents and their traveling fan base matter.

2. They’re more games during the week than a football schedule. And if the opponent is not a strong one, it’s harder to fill up 9k.

3. City of Houston has like 4 professional teams UH Basketball competes with and you have alumni that live here from different universities. Too many things to do too.

I think 7.1k is the threshold of trying to sell out games consistently given the capacity of expensive seats is like 2k. I think in the far future you could expand it, if pushing comes crawling.

if we were talking about a huge arena id agree with most of your points… but 9k is considered a very small arena/ we have one of the smallest arenas for a high major… the only smaller arenas in a high major; tulane, smu, & villanova* (*note: vill plays half its games in the 20k sixers arena)…you can add gonzaga too even though they play in a midmajor …we are the only public school in a high major conference under 9k

the average MWC attendance (worse league than the aac) is comfortably larger than houston’s current max capacity. if we needed the big 12 just to do 9k something is wrong

I can see it both ways. Did the administration ever say why they chose 7k for the capacity?