What are you feeling good about?

My understanding is King had injury issues, and was not ready to start yet. I don’t think it was any kind of stubbornness.

1 Like

Agree. King had health issues. I noticed in the ECU game that he isn’t wearing a bulky knee brace. I believe he was wearing one earlier in the season.

1 Like

Before the TT game? we were undefeated and Allen had a great game the prior week against Rice.

With all the new facilities around campus, tremendous leadership in RK and the vibrant Houston area IMO the future is unlimited. There is a HUGE reason B12 and TAMU do not want UH in P5. They know once The Big Cat is uncaged there’ll be hell to pay. The O is night and day since DK4 was let loose. The coming recruiting class will answer some questions

1 Like

If you look at the TT game stats, you’ll see that King played.

My apologies for not making myself clear. My point was this…I was disappointed that King wasn’t announced as the starter for the TT game. It’s my understanding that he was recovering from injuries that kept him from starting the UA and Rice game.

However, he played the entire TT game. He had 62 total yards, which included a TD pass to Allen. If we was able to play the entire TT game, then it probably means he was healthy to play the week before, but the staff held him out as a precaution.

Again, had he played as QB in the TT game, I believe his talent would have been enough to lead us to a victory, but it’s merely speculation on my part.

1 Like

I’m guessing it would depend on what was injured. His plant leg for passing or a shoulder on his passing arm? I think the plan wasn’t to play King at QB at all this season. Either way, it’s over, and he’s the starter now. I still don’t think he would have saved us vs Memphis. Our DC gave that game away.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/joseph_duarte/status/928739097908260865

1 Like

I am feeling good about the bottle of Basil Hayden I just picked up. Oh, and about the future of the team if King continues to develop as a QB.

That is not quite what I heard, but who knows for sure. I do know that King was neck and neck for the starting job until he re-aggravated his knee in fall camp. Anyway it seems settled for now. And I am happy about that!

Just went over to ShaggyLonghorn and TexAgs and it brought many smiles and lots of laughs.
I’m so happy to see both of their fan bases melting down from their “terrible coaching hires” and “we got so locked in on Coach Sumlin/Herman because of Houston that we wouldn’t look at other options” and "I’m sick and tired of 8 years of miserable football in Austin."
There are many great posts that will make you happy inside.
But, just read—don’t troll. They’re doing plenty all on their own.

3 Likes

As much as I hate the way Herman left, you have to give him his credit for not only getting our program back on its feet, but our university as a whole.

1 Like

King missed the entire Spring. He was splitting reps 3 ways in August before getting hurt again. We were 2-0 going into the Texas Tech game. Allen completed 31 of 33 passes the previous game. There is absolutely nothing that points to saying King was the right choice to start there even in hindsight.

King’s effort against USF was a sample of what Postma did against Memphis two years ago and Postma didn’t turn out to be the next Greg Ward as a starter. King’s only start so far is against the second worst defense in the AAC. King showed that he can hit wide open receivers but he did have a couple of throws slightly behind receivers on crossing routes.

King may very well turn out to be as good or better than Ward but it’s just not logical to equate that him being good in the 8th game of the season means he was ready to be a starter 5 to 6 games sooner.

7 Likes

I will give him credit for reviving interest in UH football, but credit goes to President Khator for elevating the academics and facilities at the school well before Herman ever set foot on campus. He had nothing to do with reviving the university as a whole, just football

8 Likes

Eh, I’ve never really been that sold on Herman. He got really lucky in year one, and was just okay in year 2. I think he’s a good coach, but he’s not that much better than Applewhite, or even Levine. He was well set-up for immediate success, and he took advantage.

Remember, if two of Louisville, Cincy, and Memphis make an extra field goal each in 2015, that team is probably 9-3, misses the conference championship, and goes from the “best team in school history???” discussion to the good-but-forgettable range with the 2008 and 2009 teams. Hell, even one more conference loss and that team misses the conference championship game.

What Herman does deserve credit for is leaving the program in better shape than he found it. He brought in what is likely the best recruiting class of the post-SWC era, and inarguably the best recruit thereof. His insistence on the IPF literally made that facility happen.

And, of course, he did virtually nothing for “the university as a whole.”

2 Likes

I’d give his brother credit before giving it to herman.

4 Likes

If Doug Meacham or David Gibbs is head coach in 2015, does Big Ed come here? I think the clear answer to that is “no.”

lol I need the contact information to your source. That’s a lot of info regrading someone who did not start until after the second string QB struggled. As we know it, we need to look at evidence first. The argument for King being injured as a reason to why he didn’t start can’t be made. We need more info.

What was clearly evident was he didn’t start until 4 games into the season. This was after the 2nd string QB started to struggle. Interesting enough, CMA was quiet when asked weekly if KA or KP would start, while they both were struggling. However, after King lead the win at USF, CMA publicly said he was the starter going forward. My argument is that if he was going to be the starter going in, he would have started a lot sooner. Why would CMA shuffle around QBs that were deemed better and have his starter play receiver and risk contact or injury? I think King clawed his way up the depth chart and got a lot better along the way.

But hes stated in multiple interviews that he didn’t want to divide family between him and his brother.

Thank you. I really feel like people aren’t seeing the big picture. King has the potential to be great, but he’s going to have some ups and downs. When he does, he needs to be shown the same love when he was anointed the heir apparent of one of our greatest QB’s in school history (GWJr).