What hacked me off the most!

Blaming the attendance for the lost is just silly. We could have played in a empty stadium and still lost the game.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone is blaming the loss on attendance.

4 Likes

We have had some great teams but I agree the ‘79 bunch was probably the best followed by the ‘73 and ‘69 squads

1 Like

The question is do the players have a let down seeing so many visitors at a home game. I assume each player is different. I would hope it wouldn’t get to our guys but i can see how it would be very inspiring to the BYU players.

1 Like

I’m sure it does to an extent. I do know mine isn’t going to like playing in an empty stadium at Navy. Crowds are what fuels them, especially their fans at home.

6 Likes

I’m of the opinion that it was flagrantly irresponsible of the school to be selling tickets in the first place, so I’m not going to cast aspersions on anyone that chooses to stay home. The less attendance this year the better in my book.

Yeah, this season is the wrong season to be complaining about attendance. It’s not even something I am tracking this fall.

1 Like

UH has a very front-runner fan base. I know this from the comments I hear in the stands at home games. Very quick to give up on the team when things aren’t going well. It’s a shame but is what it is.

1 Like

If only Houston cougar football was a religion

I was at the game, although due to my age and health I should have been at home watching it on TV; and so I can’t say that UH selling tickets this year was “flagrantly irresponsible” (or even just ordinarily irresponsible). - But, as far as crowd size is concerned, UH botched this season badly. Not only did that give season ticket buyer “permission” to not attend without any risk of losing their personal seat licenses, but they initially announced that no single game tickets would be sold (before subsequently softly saying otherwise). And then there are all of the new social distancing rules, which seriously diminish the social interaction part of attending any live sporting event.

As far as BYU’s turnout is concerned - good for them. Wichita State does the same thing for basketball. It’s an anomaly, but it’s not like they were uber-entitled UT fans or delusional Aggies.

3 Likes

So about 25 of us from our organization showed up to the Football game. That’s a record, compared to back when it was me and another person or two in 2018. Our group has roughly 200 members that include students and young alums.

We’re still really pissed about the fact that they wanted to assign seats for the STUDENT SECTION. I bought my season ticket more as of a donation to UH Athletics, so my seat is fine, I like that. But naturally I sat in the student section, and I looked up and lo and behold BYU fans took my seat.

I was in another section, so I didn’t care. I support taking an open seat if nobody is sitting there, so good for them a better view. What I did care about, was that security was trying to enforce the students to go sit in their own seats and not as groups (even if relatively distanced) in the student section.

If you took out all the fans, then grouped every loyal student coogfan together, those BYU fans would have dookied their pants with how wild students can get. I went to UH vs Navy in 2015 and was instantly attracted to the student section (back when I was in HS).

Separating the students takes away the point of students going to the game. It’s a social thing for students, and all the rowdy students together makes for a heck of an experience. BYU fans were loud and its like they owned the place.

Attendance wasn’t the sole reason we lost last night. There were several factors. But people showing up and being supportive, staying until the end of the game, and out-fanning the BYU fans could have passed on some good energy or so.

If anyone from UH Athletics is reading this please stop with the assigned seats in the student section. No student will follow that. Just COVID Test them the week of the game on your dime, and make the section GA. You’ll have people show up and be rowdy mfn cougars.

1 Like

Giena is making a point that needs to be reinforced every chance we get. When you are on the field and the stadium is full. You feel like you are on a “different” planet. The crowd’s power is in you and your adrenaline goes even higher. You literarely feel like you are invincible
then you get hit. It is a huge advantage. When you have no crowd around you this is obviously different.

4 Likes

Agree 100%. Definitely different rules last night for BYU. And kudos to them, they took advantage and used it to be a factor in the game. We would have done the same thing if circumstances were reversed with us as visitors
say in Austin or the like.

If you don’t believe the crowd matters to the players
 go to a BB game at the FC.

4 Likes

For sure.

The BYU fans were respectful to me from what I noticed. As much as I hated the loss, I loved the game.

4 Likes

Actually I lot of us posters from the SWC era who remember playing Big12 teams as conference mates hate being in a lower tuer conference. Love our conference mates but SMU is the only one I can truly relate to from the SWC years.

1 Like

That would have been a good way to lose fans. Even NFL teams didn’t do that.

I agree with FWCoog with COVID-19 U of H had to provide options to our season ticket holders. Wife and I opted in for our season tickets, but we are not attending games. We are giving them to my main tailgate buddy who is bringing 2 of his friends to the games. I am 66 and just don’t want to roll the dice on being in crowds.

2 Likes

Like several others, at our age we were hesitant to buy tickets this year. We ended up with only two tickets (the wives and grandkids/guests tickets aren’t bought)and we’re not sure we’ll go as Covid gets worse. We already face exposure (brother works in a hospital and I’m on public school campuses for UH COE). I fully expected lots of BYU fans. We had a BYU dad and young son two rows behind us. They were from Dallas. The dad stated he couldn’t afford to take his son to a home game in Provo so this was a golden opportunity for the two of them to see a BYU game. They drove down Friday and we’re staying with friends Friday night before driving back. We have to remember that Houston has a huge number of alums from lots of schools who don’t get to go or who can’t afford frequent trips to see their teams. No difference from what I’ve heard or seen at Texans, Astros, or Rockets games. I do believe we continue to sometimes shoot ourselves in our own foot when it comes to marketing but winning has always made an impact in our attendance over my 50 yeas a Coog! The big difference in the SWC days was we worked, played, and our neighbors were the other SWC alum.

3 Likes

I am not blaming the loss on attendance. I do think that good enthusiastic attendance helps lift the team’s spirit, I’ve seen it all my football attending life which started 70+ years ago, so I speak from experience. (The first football game I remember was at LSU and I was only 3, but it was exciting)

What I am saying is that our teams deserve better from people who call themselves fans. Poor attendance relfects badly on our university.

7 Likes