WHAT IS YOUR FONDEST MEMORY OF UH ATH?

1. The road trips taken with my dad as a child to see us play Baylor, tcu, SMU, a&m, texas and Ark in football and the SWC basketball tournaments.
1 Like

Delmar, that was a long time ago and the world – and country – was an entirely different place. The south has come a long way in race relations, despite the efforts of some to keep the hate stirred up on both sides. It’s not like there were no problems with racism here in Texas. Does James Byrd Jr and Jasper, TX ring a bell? How about Vidor?

You will always find some who hate on both sides, but instead of perpetuating the hate and actions of the very few, let’s celebrate just how far things have come.

1 Like

I remember, and I’m sure you do, too the banner hanging across the overpass on Highway 6 going up to the UH-A&M game in 1979. I can’t imagine what went through the minds of Aggie parents of color that day as they drove under it. Times are changing, but we still have a long way to go.

Same here. Moved here in ‘65 while still in high school. Sister was a freshman at UH and not into sports, so she gave me her ticket coupons. Being from out of state, I didn’t realize I was supposed to only root for ut and a&m. :sunglasses:

Didn’t miss a game for the next two years and was a major influence in my choice to attend UH even though being accepted by the evil two.

1 Like

1979 doesn’t seem that long ago for me, but it has been and things have changed drastically. I remember the banner that SMU fans put up in the Astrodome, “Beat the Cougroes.”
How do you think that made Eric Dickerson and some of his teammates feel?
When I was at the Daily Cougar I covered games in Florida and Mississippi and while we were treated badly and rudely, I can honestly say equally bad were UT and Agy high. But now that they depend on black players, things have really changed lol…

1 Like

Mississpi State folks are still bothered by that game.

This is so, so cynical. And I agree.

Yes, things have changed a lot - thankfully; but one thing has never changed: their resentment and hatred of the Cougars because we were the ones who MADE them change in order to compete with us!

1 Like

They used the same reference on a banner at our first hoops game up there. Moody Coliseum or whatever that dump was called. I’ve never been as angry at anything re: sports. And I don’t care how petty it seems, I’ve never forgotten nor forgiven them for that.

2 Likes

When UH took the court, GVL refused to bring the team out until the banner was taken down.

What was amazing is that the smu officials didn’t take it down prior.

OTOH, I’ve never met anyone who went to smu that was very bright.

2 Likes

Mike as I posted we elected the first black homecoming queen in the south. I am proud of how UH led the way for the rest of Texas major universities. Things have changed for the better in terms of race relations and I am glad for it.

1 Like
  1. Stopping Texas Tech on their final drive in 2009
  2. Thinking we lost while following the Tulsa game online while billing like 20 hours that day, but then learning we won with the field goal against Tulsa in 2009
  3. Rushing field in Conference championship in 2016
  4. Rushing field against Louisville at home in 2017
  5. When the rain started pouring in 2011 against Rice and we finally got out of our funk to start crushing them.
  6. Being in Memphis to watch Greg Ward Jr.'s first start.
  7. Freezing my a** off wearing my retarded stormtrooper armor against Pitt
  8. Peach bowl win
  9. Watching the LA Tech comeback on TV
  10. Watching a softball game with my girlfriend at the time (now my wife)
1 Like

Yes, we did, and I am proud of that too. But, we are still paying for it too, because racism is still alive and well in many parts of this state, alas!

2 Likes

amen to that brother!

1 Like

Beating Maryland Terps 30-21 & securing the HIGHEST NATIONAL RANING # 4 in UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON FOOTBALL HISTORY!

3 Likes

My sister in law and brother in law was in Dallas watching the game. I was in Central Texas and was watching the phone as I could not get the channel on my cable. They called us scouting that the Coogs won as I was trying to wait on my phone do update the score…Classic, Classic, Classic…will never forget that one!

1 Like

Racism is and has always been shadowed by a degree of elitism, IMO, and certainly did not originate, nor live exclusivity in the South…

My parents flew with GVL and the team to Berkeley (Cal) in the mid to late 60s…the crowd was almost exclusively white, and the men wore ties (seriously…). When our Coogs came out of the tunnel, the Cal band struck up “Sweet Georgia Brown” (for those youngsters, that is the theme song of The Harlem Globetrotters).

My parents maintained for DECADES that it was the single most racist thing they had ever witnessed. From so called “enlightened” Californians…

3 Likes

November 20 1976, we are living & working in Stavanger Norway. Cougars playing Tech in Lubbock. If we win we go to the Cotton Bowl. These were the days of no internet & only way to keep updated was international phone calls. My lovely bride kept us informed by calling one of our dear friends, the late Eric Blakeman, frequently for updates. 2 Cougars yelling & screaming with total joy as the game ended with the victory that put us in the Cotton Bowl!

4 Likes

It was even more fun watching it from the stands in Ruston. When LT scored to make it 34-7, I told Pete Brayton, we will win this game 35-34, mark it down. And we did. I also passed by Kimberly, who was a couple rows behind me and looking downhearted. I told her don’t worry, we will pull this out. Neither seemed to believe me, but I just had this feeling that Case would get it done.

3 Likes