Why Big 12 will not expand

Agreed. Let’s focus on our business because that is all we can influence. Need to make sure we remain the most attractive option and continue to that gap between the other G5’s. On another note, my boss is a Florida Gator and a sports junkie (all sports, HS NCAA Pro & International). In a conversation over the last week she told me that “we” are extremely impressive in our ability to compete at such a high level with such limited funding. Just good to see the acknowledgement. Go Coogs!!!

6 Likes

The only time there will be expansion is if the AAC has a run of four or five years where it has more ranked teams than one of the Blue Blood Conferences.
Then ESPN or FOX will work with a couple of the top teams in the conference to move them into other conferences. Thus they keep the idea that the Blue Bloods are far superior to the AAC and MWC.

TCU, Utah, BYU were removed from the MWC because they had a run of years whEre they outperformed the ACC. Like the Blue Bloods, they were strong at the Top and weak at the Bottom.

And they won their OOC games against the blue bloods with regularity.

It’s how the original CUSA was killed. And how the AAC has been already weakened once.

3 Likes

uhredcat96, normally happens during TV contract negotiations. If Aresco is able to get networks other than ESPN interested in bidding on the AAC contract, look for rumors suddenly to happen or movement of two or more key teams to suddenly get moved to a P5 conference. Happened to the Big East and could happen during or just after this season. Move the two or more top teams out of the AAC would be cheaper than paying a big raise to the whole conference.

1 Like

Aren’t we in the middle of such a streak? UCF has TWO BCS/NY6 bowl wins and Houston ONE NY6 bowl win.

I really really really wish we had finished the job against Michigan last March…that really would have helped UH and the AAC.

2 Likes

They have sent a clear message that they intend to weigh their options when the GoR expires. One of those options would be staying in the B12. I don’t see UT being the first team to leave because they would have to leave LHN behind. OU could leave provided they can seperate themselves from Okie State. Although that will depend on Oklahoma politics. If I were handicapping wether or not the Big 12 exists 7 years from now, I would put it at 50/50.

Rumor is that the SEC will take OSU to get OU. That will drop the B12 to eight, 4 swc and 3 big eight and a BE.

I’ll go double or nothing on my UH student loans that says OSU and OU to the SEC never happens. Strikes against both schools: they will be two new mouths to feed from the same, small population state and neither one of them is going to be an AAU member any time soon.

“What is your general philosophy as it relates to expansion for the SEC,” I asked.

I was rewarded with a better answer than I expected.

“Acknowledge it’s not a front burner issue,” Sankey said. “We added two great universities in Texas A&M and Missouri, both members of the American Association of Universities. Great athletics traditions. Contiguous states. There’s probably some information in there that’s useful.”

Since when did the SEC become an academic stronghold???

SEC had 2 AAU schools (Vanderbilt & Florida). prior to picking up ATM and Missouri. Makes them about 30% AAU.

LHN is lame.

1 Like

A prerequisite to any PAC12 expansion would be the firing of Larry Scott and the sale of the PAC12 network to someone who can consolidate or operate it more efficiently. The model of 6 regional networks doesn’t work. Larry Scott and the PAC12 were stupid to try it. Adding schools to that model would be doubling down on a bad idea. They should have followed the model of the BTN or SECN.

2 Likes

The original topic is why the Big 12 won’t expand. Because they don’t have to. The comittee helped them by allowing them to stay with 10 teams. That doomed us. If they were to expand and take UH and cinncinnatti (for WVA) that would have been perfect. But no.

Makes more sense that if the SEC takes OSU then that gives OU freedom to jump ship to the B1G or Pac without them. OSU would definitely not be worse off in that situation.

The SEC will not take OSU alone. They want OU and are willing to OSU also as the price to get OU.

Why not? Taking OSU is just like taking atm.You don’t have another prima donna school to deal with and you still get an new eyes for tv etc …

Not trying to be argumentative just having a convo …

A couple of “if we could go back in time” ideas :

1. If Utah senator Orrin Hatch had made good on his promise to destroy the BCS, we could have benefitted. After Utah got in the Pac12, you never heard another peep out of Hatch.
  2. If John O’Quinn were still alive, he would have attacked the P5 system, we could have benefitted.
1 Like

Financially, as things stand now, the Big 12 has absolutely no reason to expan. Even more importantly the media networks have even less reason to support a Big 12 expansion.

We don’t know if the Big 12 gave up the pro rata increase clause, as is suspected by many.

No conference realignment/expansion till 2025!

On a related note here are the 2016-17 athletic revenues. UT no 1, A&M nearly caught up with them, no 2.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

PUF

OSU is not just like A&M. A&M was a national brand and got the SEC into Texas with a population of 27 million. OSU is not a national brand like A&M. The SEC does not “want” OSU at all but is willing to take them if that is the Price of getting OU which is a blue blood national brand.

2 Likes

NOBODY cares about now…we have known for years what is coming and when…BIG tv deal expires in 2023 and they will certainly expand before 2025…same is true of PAC…Sooner and whorn refuse to extend Big 12 GOR for a reason…they can leave virtually without penalty when time comes.The question has never been about Big 12 expansion, it has been about PAC expansion, and BIG expansion, and possibly SEC or ACC expansion, when time comes. OU is a cinch to leave for BIG or SEC when time comes…when that happens, Texas will react and also leave but declare themselves blameless as OU left first…
I think OU and Kansas leave for BIG, then Texas and another partner leave for ACC so they continue their partnership with espn…

2 Likes