Why Big 12 will not expand

If Michigan just made $51 million, why do they need Texas? Nebraska hates Texas for the
rigged finish in the Alamodome so they will stop it if they can. If OU leaves then Texas might try for the Pac, but they are making more with the 12 than they would out west. I don’t think they want to go
to the SEC because there is too much competition and they might end of a five loss team every year.

5 loss team in the SEC would be awesome for the sippers. They’re a 6-7 loss team currently.

I bet they’d kick tail in the MEAC.

3 Likes

ESPN bought their way out of the pro rata increase after the “Expansion” fiasco

FOX did not renegotiate which means that all money, from any expansion, would come from FOX. FOX didn’t want the conference to expand at all, but, if they did, they would not push for Houston to join. FOX would want more east coast markets, specifically one or both of the Florida schools.

I wonder if the language in the TV contracts for other P5 leagues is going to change next go around. E.g. no pro rata payment unless expansion candidates meet criteria X,Y and Z.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. There’s no way the SEC adds two new schools from the same state, let alone a small population state like Oklahoma. People might think “But the SEC has two teams in three of their states.” That’s a holdover from the era before TV entered college football (e.g. 1932). The SECN is driven by subscriber fees which is why Mizzou got the invite over West Virginia.

Are you doing this on purpose?
You and I have no clue what the SEC will do. In case they see fit to add two new Schools from the same state they will. Every P5 or G5 conference is looking at making the most money. It is a business. It has never been about sports. The only thing we are certain is that we/you do not know. Please stop making assumptions.

1 Like

I still think that the SEC is EXACTLY where we belong, and I hope others will eventually agree. I know, I know, they already have atm and think that secures their interest in all of Texas! I think they are wrong.

Can you imagine how they would dominate the state of Texas, which is larger than any two other states in the SEC, if they took us in to go along with atm? In the first place, taking us in would effectively keep all other P5 conferences completely out of Texas - forever. In the second place, the conference would then dominate all of East Texas - everything, say, east of I-45.

And then, if they also took in OU, that and atm would solidify their control of the Dallas TV market, and UH and atm would control the Houston market. In addition, OU leaving the Little-12 would probably be the end of that P5 conference; uta would probably go elsewhere or independent ASAP !

UH and OU to the SEC; that is my hope!

4 Likes

If the SEC is going to go after a Texas team then it won’t be a team already with Comcast since aTm already gets money from that trough

I hope so also. The SEC us my preferred P5 conference by a long shot.

Can you just imagine a conference where we would be in the same division as atm, Ark, OU, MO, LSU, Ole Miss, and Miss. State? We would play those guys and then two or three others in the Eastern Division every year! WOW! It would be super tough, but WOW!

3 Likes

It would be the perfect scenario from my perspective. I grew up ensconced in the traditions and rivalries of the SEC. After the Coogs, each week I check for whether tu and gaggie lost, and then how the week turned out in the SEC.

Is this about the pecking order for the SEC to expand to 16

1. Va Tech
  2. N. Carolina
  3. OU
  4. OU/Kansas
  5. OU/OSU

We aren’t even a dark horse if you believe the pundits. But sure would be great.

I think the first two on your list are happy where they are.

1 Like

And, the Houston TV market might be bigger than any TWO of those other states - combined!

As of 5 months ago Fansided listed these top 5 candidates.

Just goes to show how all over the board these kind of predictions can. Nobody really knows anything.

Adding Memphis means 3 schools from the little old state of Tennesse. Guess that really shoots holes in the concept that the SEC wants no more than one school from each state. Let’s just keep guessing. Its entertaining.

Would the ACC schools really consider jumping to the SEC?

SEC isn’t going to expand unless it benefits them financially and we aren’t at that level. I would also seriously doubt that Aggie would want a team in their recruiting footprint added to the conference they joined to get away from UT

I am resigned to the fact that we are in the AAC and probably will be for a long time. I think this is a good conference and has shown to be so on the national stage. The only drawback to the AAC is the disparity in revenue from TV and bowls as compared to the P5’s.

1 Like

Revenue from TV, better time slots, recruiting, bowl tie ins, and more consistently interesting/recognizable opponents

Other than that how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

But it has to make financial sense. Otherwise, why would any SEC president vote for it? As you said, it’s a business. The #1 rule in expansion: schools in the expanding conference will see a financial benefit by adding new schools. Or in other words, everybody makes more money. Right now, the SEC pays out around 40 million per school. Are there enough new subscribers to the SECN in the state of Oklahoma to justify paying out 80+ million dollars in membership revenue? If you add up the TV households for Texas, Missouri and Oklahoma, Oklahoma would constitute about 12% of the total.