Why Big 12 will not expand

I mentioned revenue from TV and bowls. Bowls would include tie-ins. As for interesting recognizable opponents, by now, you should be able to recognize all opponents in our conference and most give us some very interesting games. Tulsa, Memphis, Navy, Cincy, USF, and UCF have given us some great games. I can enjoy a great game against Tulsa as well as a great game against TT.

BTW, we played TT in the heat and I see many P5 teams playing on Saturday at 11:00 am and 2:00 pm.

I think our recruiting does pretty well.

Only two of the schools in that list would have the votes to get in are Va. tech and UNC. I don’t see either one jumping ship to the SEC despite the revenue gap. The ACC extended their GoR to the mid-2030’s when they announced they were launching their own network.

The only conference where OU and OSU can be together is the Big 12. They tried to go to the PAC-12 back in 2011 and even the PAC-12 said no.

The PAC said no because UT wasn’t joining. The PAC did offer UT, TT, OU, and OSU but UT demanded that they get to keep the LHN. PAC said no and UT dropped out. OU tried to substitute another school and PAC said with out UT it was no deal. This was the moment OU learned they were not co-equal with UT but instead was 2nd fiddle.

2 Likes

Whew…PAC 12 probably still doesn’t know how lucky they were. If they had taken ut, then the PAC offices would be in downtown Austin !!!

3 Likes

Do you have a crystal ball and know what their new TV/Media contract will be in 2023 or before? You don’t. The BIG 10 is looking at making $51M/Team this year and surpass the SEC. You can be sure of one thing the SEC is going to want more money.

Stanford, UCLA, Berkeley, Arizona, and Washington are academic powerhouses (all are in the National Research Council’s top twenty) so they don’t need any of the “Big” 12 or us for that reason. Access to the southern mid-west TV market might interest them, but I doubt it. USC vs Texas
on national TV every year would be a goldmine with a Worldwide audience.

That is one game and win or lose means very little. It would not compare to having conference games in Houston that actually have an impact on the season.

Not a big deal, but this is the first I’ve heard anyone speak so highly of Arizona.

As a state flagship, I’m sure it’s a fine school, but I’ve never heard anything to lead me to think it kept the same academic company with those other three schools (or Stanford).

Again, not a big deal to me–just curious where you found this. I looked at the Chronicle of High Ed’s summary of the rankings. I don’t see an overall or composite ranking. I only see individual areas of study ranked. And I’m not seeing Arizona standing out in the handful of samples I’ve looked at.

Under what set of circumstances do you think the SEC adding two schools in the state of Oklahoma would make financial sense for the rest of the league?

The “you don’t know” line of thinking is intellectually lazy. I “don’t know” that Alabama won’t ditch the SEC for the PAC12 in 5 years or that UH won’t be playing in the SWAC or that the earth won’t be swallowed by a black hole. Yet those scenarios are so unrealistic that I don’t give them any credence along with the idea that the SEC will add two schools from Oklahoma.

Arizona and Arizona St are Carnegie R1 (highest tier) research universities just like UH. Every school in the PAC is Carnegie tier 1 and 6 are AAU.

1 Like