Why can't we create a culture of calling our stadium 'The Cage'?

Same with the FC, ‘The House’, or ‘The Cage’. It would make things look a little more appealing to tradition/culture side of UH Athletics.

1 Like

TDECU is already nicknamed the cage that was the uproar when naming the student section at fertitta the cage also. But if you want media to call our facilities the cage everyone needs to call it the cage.

Even the student event there is named cage rage

3 Likes

Agreed. TDECU is alphabet soup that amounts to credit union stadium.

2 Likes

That is true. Our organization’s second name was the ‘Cage Animals’, but that would have only been reserved to ‘New Rob’.

Not to go against the will of the students, but since our mascot is based on the majesty and fierceness a wild animal, the idea of calling the place where we play the cage seems silly. Just IMO.

3 Likes

I think its more so on the Roman premise where youd fight wild animals in a closed intimidating space and not being able to escape alive. Not so much the natural habitat of the mascot.

4 Likes

The last few big games on ESPN, such as the Louisville game, the announcers referred to TDECU as the cage. I think it’s catching on a bit.

1 Like

My read is that opponents are caged in and can’t escape.

1 Like

My read is it looks like an erector set/cage.

1 Like

Batting cage??

1 Like

Gotta love the football off-season! :wink:

2 Likes

Maybe Erector set combined with leggos?

Wait what. its not the off-season. Oh yea!

1 Like

ECU fans made fun of us saying they will score Touchdowns at our stadium when the name was announced…lol.

2 Likes

I find it a little curious that some people are always trying to rename athletic facilities. It’s not enough that TDECU is paying for naming rights for the football stadium or Tilman Fertitta paid much of the cost to remodel Hofheinz, there are always a few disenchanted fans wanted to put their imprint on renaming stadiums, much like back in the days when students wanted to rename Hofheinz Pavilion to Elvin Hayes Pavilion.

2 Likes

you mean like ‘The Juice Box’, 'Death Valley", 'The Grand Old Lady", “The Rock”. I could go on.

2 Likes

Houston and FIU claim The Cage on this list.

?? What? Nobody is trying to rename the naming rights on the stadium. A lot of stadiums have nicknames, even in college football. “The Swamp” in Florida, “Death Valley” etc.

2 Likes

Litter box?

6 Likes

I never liked the cage. It has the connotation of a caged or domesticated animal – not the wild and powerful Cougar; the lair or den would seem more appropriate IMHO. When there has to be a concentrated effort to pin a nickname, it usually won’t get that much traction. Things like that evolve from events and are earned.

5 Likes