Will Case be a NY Giant of Football?

Case will choose Minnesota. They’re able to match any offer. It’s the first time in his NFL career that he feels accepted. If he leads the Vikings to the Super Bowl, he’ll attain Brett Favre hero status. He gets to play half his games in a domed stadium and not have to endure NY winter outdoor games. The NY sports press is brutal. NYC is expensive with high city and state taxes. Minnesota will hire an OC to duplicate Shurmur’s offense.

8 Likes

It would be very difficult to continue to pay 2 QB’s starting money, without shortchanging other positions and that’s probably what it would take unless TB would settle for less. I just don’t know if the Vikings love affair with Teddy is over.

Minnesota is no piker when it comes to taxes either. High state income tax, property tax, state auto plates are high, and Minneapolis has city license plates also. But, other than taxes and cold weather, I found living in the Sat. Paul area was very nice. The people are nice and there was a lot to do. Oh yeah, home prices were considerably higher than Houston; but not as high as NY.

1 Like

They’re gonna trade Bradford and keep Keenum and Bridgewater. Debatable who they’ll pay more to but I can see there being open competition for the QB spot to placate the pundits.

Hope Case doesn’t go to Denver. I hate the broncos.

All three are free agents, there is no benefit to a “sign and trade” like there is in basketball, where you can get more $ from your current team. So there would be no reason for a player to make himself a bargaining chip, when he could instead just choose a place that makes him happiest. None of them are getting traded, they will probably just let Bradford walk and sign Teddy to a backup contract.

Case might not have a choice, the Vikings could franchise tag him (projected to be $21 million) so they don’t have to commit to him long term. If they’re gonna have to commit $20+ million a year to him on a long term deal anyways it makes more sense to do the franchise tag and give him one more year to see if he’s the real deal. I know it’s not popular around here but the Vikes hold all the cards with Case and I just don’t see them letting him walk but I’m not sure they give him a massive deal either

I think Case will be fine with getting the franchise tag.

1 Like

I think the Vikings would be smart to “Franchise” Case. To me it’s a win/win. Case gets $23 million and Vikings get a hungry player on the last year of his deal, again. While the Vikes do have at least $60 million in cap space, they have to sign Stefon Diggs and Danielle Hunter to long term deals. Diggs is making less than 800K and Hunter less than 900 K. I would completely understand Case wanting to follow Shurmur if he was a FA and Vikes didn’t franchise him, but I also can’t imagine a better fit for Case’s talent and his personality than his current situation.

What options are really open?

Cleveland - Please God no…don’t do that to him. Browns have 2 top 4 1st round picks. Can’t imagine they don’t draft a QB making Case unlikely to end up here.

NY Giants - Giants don’t have the cap room to trade/cut Eli AND sign a high priced vet QB.

Washington - If Cousins leaves, this is a possibility, but again this is an unstable organization.

Jacksonville - This is basically the AFC version of the Vikings. This would be a REALLY good fit IF the Jags decide to cut Bortles. Bortles is scheduled to make $19 million in 2018 but contract carries no guarantees.

NY Jets - Jets are probably drafting a QB. Not a whole lot of talent on that roster.

Arizona Cardinals - This makes sense as a potential landing spot. Carson Palmer retired. The Cards aren’t drafting until #15. They have talent to win right now minus the QB position.

Buffalo Bills - They will possibly need a QB if they move on from Tyrod Taylor. They have 2 1st round picks. I think they trade up and draft a guy.

Denver Broncos - They need a QB badly and need to win now. Not a huge fan of the OC Bill Musgrave and the QB coach in Denver is 3 months older than Case (Klint Kubiak).

In summation, IF Case is not franchised by the Vikings, he will have tons of options. He is going to be rich beyond measure regardless. If I were him I’d hope to end up back in Minnesota or in Jacksonville. I think those are the best “winning” situations.

5 Likes

Jets or Browns. Both are drafting QBs high and will need a smart high character guy to mentor them AND take the pounding until they are ready. What they might find though is Case will take the job permanently. He would be a legend in Cleveland if he came in and won. They haven’t had a hero since Bernie and Brian Snipe.

No one will win in Cleveland because there is no team.

2 Likes

And if they win the Super Bowl, they’ll be wearing his jersey 40 years from now, just like Steelers fans still wear Franco Harris and Joe Greene jerseys. You never forget the first time!

1 Like

I really hope he stays in Minnesota. This is obviously a great fit. I don’t think NY would work for Keenum. Too many issues on offense, particularly with the o-line. Plus, the NY media is always a headache.

2 Likes

Did you watch the Vikings with the sound off? When they mentioned Zimmer saying Keenum would get pulled if they are down 10 at half, both commentators laughed it off as “Zimmer being Zimmer.” They went on to compare him a lot to Bill Parcells and said if he doesn’t say anything negative in a description, it is a compliment.

2 Likes

Its a lot harder to make throws in Giant stadium. Its cold and there is a constant wind.

The love affaire is over, they didn’t even have Teddy on the active roster for the playoffs!

Case should stay with the Vikings, they play indoors. Case doesn’t play that well outdoors in the cold.

2 Likes

I can’t cheer for NY teams no matter who the QB is at the time. Hopefully Arizona outbids the Giants for Shurmur because Palmer is retiring and the backups there are definitely not starters.

Parcells talked trash about Romo his first few starts. Still remember after the 5 td Thanksgiving game Parcells telling a reporter “yeah, but I could have threw a couple of those”. Some coaches are just like that even though they have given the team to that QB.

NY will be perfect for Case.

We got more than 3,000 alums in the TriState Area.

He will do fine.

1 Like

There’s more to it than that, I think.

With DB being a free agent in NO, I wonder if Sean Peyton would want to look at Case