Will TTech/Ole Miss Advocare game sellout?

I’m pretty sure we turned down a deal about 10 years ago for 2 games in Austin and 1 in Reliant.

How much would we need to be paid to move the 2021 Boise State home opener to Reliant?

Really after bleachergate? I’ve never heard they want to play us in football again.

And…"that’s a good thing " !!!

We didn’t turn down playing Texas. Texas simply wont play us.

1 Like

Let’s see; would I rather play Boise State at 11:00am in an air conditioned stadium or in TDECU and risk heat stroke. Man, that’s a tough one.

3 Likes

Agreed, give me the A/C but I was an Astrodome fan which was not a popular position.

1 Like

Actually, I would rather it be at TDECU stadium at 7:00 p.m. on a Saturday night…and if the TV networks want to show it then, then OK.

Otherwise, tell them to FO !!

4 Likes

Seriously. How long have we waited to get Boise State on our home turf? Giving up 100% home advantage to the most prolific G5/non-AQ program of the last 18 years for a paycheck and air conditioned seats is insanity.

1 Like

I really doubt it that one of these kickoff bowl games would select two G5 teams even if they are good teams. The TV partner of the game would probably reject it. I can only see it being acceptable if it is UH vs P5 like OU, UT, TAM or LSU. The media would know that people are going to watch to see if the giant killer (UH) would continue its massacre vs P5. Although UH plays OU next year in Norman, a blue blood won’t be on the schedule anytime soon and I don’t think Boise is what the networks want in the Advocare vs UH.

Boise State is not the national draw, yes they have had some great years, but the Advocare bowl would always sell out with UH vs a blue blood program, it’s a no brainer if we were in it every year vs a big name team

1 Like

Ratings are finally out for this week:

Texas Tech-Ole Miss on ESPN did a 1.2 (1.929M) nationally which was 2nd best for the timeslot (Oregon State-Ohio State on ABC was highest) and the 8th best for the weekend.

Last year, in the same slot, Kent State-Clemson did a 1.0 (1.629M) nationally which was 3rd best for its timeslot and the 13th best overall. NOTE; The LSU-BYU game was rescheduled and moved to New Orleans due to Hurricane Harvey

In 2016, Hawaii-Michigan did a 1.3 (2.135M) nationally which was 2nd best for the timeslot (guess what was #1 :sunglasses:) and 7th best nationally

Prior to 2016, ABC did not carry a Week 1 Saturday game at noon.

So, the game did pretty well nationally in comparison to other games in its timeslot. Wish CBSSports provided ratings to see what our game was like. Guess I’ll wait until David Barron posts his weekend article to see the local ratings (which also won’t have our game).

2 Likes

Our glass house apparently has a bunch of scuff marks from people throwing stones at AdvoCare.

1 Like

Second worst attendance and second worst TV ratings in the game’s history.

1 Like

It drew worse than the 2017 game that was relocated at the last minute due to Harvey.

A little more data (eastern times)

5.2m - 15th vs 3rd on ABC at noon vs 2.1m - unranked vs 10th on ESPN
4.7m -13th vs 14th on ESPN at 9 vs 6m - 1st vs 14th on ABC
2.5m - unranked vs 15th on ESPN at 7 vs 8.0m - 3rd vs 20th on ABC
2.2m - unranked vs 13th on ABC/ESPN2 *
1.9m - unranked vs unranked on ESPN at noon vs 3.5m - unranked vs 5th on ABC
1.8m - unranked vs 13th on ESPN at 9:30 vs 12.3m - 1st vs 3rd on ABC

*Wasn’t a national telecast … ABC split the market with Syracuse vs Penn State

Pretty basic. It helps to be the top ranked teams of the day to get the most viewers.

Hard to guess who will be ranked so they are better off sticking to teams in a 300-mile radius from the SEC (A&M / LSU) / Big XII (UT) with large followings and pair them with another P5 school. UH could be added if they have a good season or two to gain some momentum. And an exception can be made for OU.

I think the 2020 match up of Baylor vs. Ole Miss will under perform this year’s game.

1 Like

IKThe population of Houston has spoken that they do not want to attend home games. That’s not ok as far as the athletics department revenue is concerned.

However, the Houston and national, west of the Mississippi, audience DOES watch uh on tv.

The UH Arizona game had a 1.9 rating which is higher than the tech AdvoCare (1.2) garnered. And none of the four teams were ranked so that doesn’t skew the numbers.

UH doesn’t help any conference, or individual teams, with recruiting. UH doesn’t help either with attendance (yes we helped set a record once against UT but the last three games in Austin our fans were a blip).

What UH does offer a conference is good tv ratings and hopefully that moves the needle if realignment ever comes again.

It also accents the point that the AAC has to figure a way to get espn to offer more money. No other source gets us on a major over the air network.

3 Likes

Look, they need to stop with the TT, Baylor, Ol miss thing. Add Arkansas OU, other big name local teams and Houston to the mix…

We need to play Arkansas, Ok State, Notre Dame, etc. in the kickoff game in Dallas. Offset the loss of a home game by paying a Rice, a SHSU, or an SFA for a 1 and done at TDECU.