With all things considered... Is an NY6 out of reach now?

If we win out I have to think we absolutely have a decent shot at being ranked higher than North Texas. I think the combination of beating Arizona (hoping they can win a couple conference games), Memphis, USF, Navy and probably UCF would look very good.

Defense looked awful against Tech but it’s not like we got drummed. We would at least have a shot.

Tech goes on the road to play OKST this weekend. According to ESPN, Tech is a 13 point underdog in that game. Of course, Tech was a 1 point underdog to us last weekend. It will be really nice if Tech could blow the doors off OKST. I’m hoping Tech gained some real confidence beating us and will take that into Stillwater this weekend.

As for our chances of getting to a NY6, it’s certainly not out of reach, but unless our defense improves dramatically, I don’t see a realistic chance of beating UCF, assuming we get to the AAC championship game. The most frustrating thing for me about the Tech loss was the missed tackles. Even though the scheme was horrendous, if we make half the tackles we missed in that game, we win. It wouldn’t have been pretty, but we would have won and that’s what really matters. So frustrating.

2 Likes

What happened to him? I guess I missed it.

Transferred to Wisconsin.

I think we are ranked 115th in defense. Forget it.

1 Like

With the way our pass defense looked, I would think that everybody is going to pass against us!!

2 Likes

Got upset in the constant change of secondary coaches and was very unhappy with Herman as he basically committed to Houston because of Herman. After Deontay Anderson transferred in, knew he was going to be 2nd string again and decided to move on. Ended up at Wisconsin.

Has he seen any playing time at Wisconsin? I really liked this kid. Big advocate for the program and still see him tweeting good things to the current UH players.

1 Like

If we end up losing a conference game that takes us out of the running for a NY6, I would love nothing more than for Briles to go pedal to the metal to let King rack up as many stats as possible. Let’s get an early start on D’Eriq’s Heisman campaign for next year. He has the scheme and weapons to put up some eye-popping numbers.

I would love to see CMD change things up to let Big Ed eat more, but I’m not sure CMD is capable of changing. Thankfully, the pro scouts already know what Ed can do and know he won’t be used in the NFL like he’s being used here.

3 Likes

No, he has to sit out a year due to transferring.

2 Likes

Agreed. Tackling is the most basic of skills for any defensive player and that is why it is frustrating to me. Throw all the scheme discussion out the window and just tackle the guy with the damn ball. Frankly, by the time they are recruited (assuming they actually played defense in HS) the basics of making a good tackle should already be so well rehearsed that it is habit. I have seen exceptional tacklers in HS. Let’s start recruiting players that already have the basic building blocks and coaches that actually emphasize/reenforce the basic skillsets and have demonstrated an ability to effectively coach those skillsets. I don’t even care if they are not the fastest players available. Execution is everything in football.

4 Likes

La. Tech plays LSU this week and will play UNT and Miss State. I doubt they will win any of those 3; but maybe UNT. Their wins were against weak teams.

UNT beat SMU, Incarnate Word, and Arkansas (who has lost to eastern Illinois and Colorado State for 0-3 record) with a weak remaining schedule with toughest teams looking to be La Tech and FAU.

Boise State beat Troy and UConn, lost to Okie St. Has BYU, SDSU, Utah St, and Fresno St on schedule.

Akron beat Morgan State and Nebraska. Still has Iowa State and Buffalo on schedule.

Buffalo beat Del State, Temple and Eastern Michigan; still has Akron and Toledo and not much else on schedule. They could go undefeated and still not make a splash with such a weak schedule.

With our secondary, and the game film we just gave the better passing schools in the AAC, we will be lucky to win 9 games.

We would have to win out, so highly unlikely.

1 Like

I’m not going to say I definitely disagree with you, but I still think it’s a bit early to jump to this conclusion. Our passing defense is really bad and was badly exposed by Tech. It’s hard to argue against that. On the other hand, I don’t think anyone in our conference outside of maybe UCF is going to be in the same stratosphere as Tech as far as a passing team. Now, I’ll admit I could be wrong. Maybe we just caught Tech on an exceptionally good execution day and they aren’t really that good. Maybe our defense really is that bad and will be equally bad against teams in our conference. We’ll see over the next few weeks exactly how good (or not good) Tech’s offense is since they have to play OKST, WVU and TCU in their next 3 games. But based on what my eyes saw this past weekend and what I currently know about the teams in our conference, yes, conference opponents will be able to put up some yardage and points on us, but I don’t see any of them (except UCF) being the passing juggernaut that Tech is and our offense should be able to outscore anyone in this conference short of UCF. If we lose a conference game prior to the championship game, my guess is it will be against Memphis because it will be on the road. But I feel fairly confident against them since they are so run-heavy this year. And despite how bad we are against the pass, we’re still really good against the run. Also, it’s incredibly difficult to form any opinions about Memphis at this point in the season. Their 2 wins are against Mercer and Georgia State. The only “real” team they have played (Navy) beat them. Unfortunately, Memphis doesn’t play another good opponent until 10/13 when they play UCF at home.

Ultimately, it could be Coog-colored glasses I’m wearing, but I still believe we’ll make it to the conference championship game and likely lose to UCF since we can’t defend the pass. UCF is the only team remaining on the schedule that I feel relatively certain could straight up outscore us.* But back to my main point, it’s just too early to tell.

*One caveat is I’m basing my opinions on UCF mostly off of last year and the fact that McKenzie Milton is back. They still haven’t played a legit college football team this year, so it’s hard to read the data specifically for this year.

1 Like

Agreed. I think most teams in this conference are between Rice and Tech when it comes to offensive efficiency. Memphis and UCF might be leveled with Tech. I’m not sure. We have time to tighten things up. I’m just not confident in CMD. Before the season started, I thought this team would be carried by the defense, given the new offensive scheme and a DC that’s in year 2. Now the offense is carrying the team in less time. The coaching disparities between Briles and CMD are evident in that alone. It’ll be interesting to see if we can make a leap on defense.

1 Like

No disrespect but we got bottom feeders for P5 and TT was respected under Leach and Kingsbury may be asking us for a job in 2019… Every game from Tulane to Navy we will play teams that have beaten us before. Does Kingsbury coach ANY defense?

Does Kingsbury coach defense, not really.

Not until the fat lady sings!

The funny thing about the Tech game was as bad as our defense was, if our offense didn’t have a few drives of questionable play calling, we could have put up 60+ on the road against a P5 team (with a DC that this board thinks is good). That offense can beat almost anybody by themselves when clicking.

3 Likes