With all things considered... Is an NY6 out of reach now?

Don’t really understand the point of this exercise.

The highest ranked conference champion from the G5 goes to NY6 bowl.

There’s no comparing schedules or this win looks good or bad, it’s just math. Win the conference and be ranked higher than other G5 conference champions, ie-Boise or San Diego State.

1 Like

This is the point of the exercise. If we win our conference and so does Boise, but we lose to Tech and they had beaten OKST, they would almost certainly be ranked higher than us. That’s why we have to pay attention to Ws and Ls in non-conference games.

2 Likes

First beat UCF and everyone else and get College GameDay to start talking about your PLAYOFF RANK in October

Just have to

1. Win West - They don’t have the 6’3 Wide Recievers like Tech has that made our DB’s look like mice. But losing Davis really hurts. If guys step up this can be a good defense in the AAC.
  2. Win AAC Championship vs UCF or whoever
  3. But need help Finishing higher than Boise, BYU, others.
  4. Winning out with win over high ranked UCF team in. AACchanp game should put UH in or AAC Championship with Boise, BYU, others faultering.

May need help but it’s doable

1 Like

BYU is not G5 and can’t get Access Bowl slot

3 Likes

We need no help finishing ahead of Boise. They have a loss, and our loss just whipped their loss by 4 touchdowns. We just need to win out.

4 Likes

Tech beating Okie State badly in Stillwater has put a big dent in Boise State’s NY6 hopes. We played Tech better in Lubbock than Okie State did at home. Boise State got spanked by Okie State.

The perception now is that the AAC is much better than the other G5s. So the other conferences have to make the case why their team is better than the AAC champion.

The unfairness that is college football is working in our favor for once.

9 Likes

When you start to compare who’s loss is better than theirs you are on a slippery slope and the rules go out the window.
We will have to win out to have any chance and I don’t see that happening. No NY6 for us.

Since you don’t play everybody, college football will always be ranking by comparable games. We might not make it, but the AAC champion who beats us will.

I do think at this point, we will win the west. I think we are the best team (we should have beaten Tech and it turns out Tech is pretty good).I think UCF wins the east. The winner of that game gets the NY6 nod.

Still a lot of football to be played.

It’s how the CFP Committee works though. We control our own destiny to the NY6 thanks to Tech yesterday.

If we win out, and beat UCF we will go. Most people view AAC over any other G5 because of the accomplishments of UH & UCF.

3 Likes

Which is exactly what I said but I don’t think we will win out.

1 Like

Whether we win out or not is still up in the air but we are capable. Win the rest and NY6 is a lock. As I have stated more than once, we absolutely control our destiny. One game at a time. Just need to go to work and get it done.

5 Likes

If UH wins out, it’s in as tech looks to be pretty good and likely to finish ranked, maybe even top 15; but UH needs to find a defense that can make stops; they got 14 days.

wait, think next game is a Thursday; they got 10 days.

3 Likes

Your assumption must be that the AAC champion is automatically the best team in G5. I don’t think the CFP committee sees the AAC as an extension of the P5. So even if UH wins out, would probably need teams like North Texas to lose at lease one game for UH to be ahead of them week 10.

1 Like

A one loss AAC champ gets in over an undefeated CUSA champ. Especially, if that one loss comes against a bowl eligible P5

6 Likes

I will add this… Kirby Hocutt, the AD for Tech, is the chairman of the CFP committee. If you think that Tech and all their opponents aren’t going to be propped up in the CFP rankings, you don’t understand how corrupt the committee is. I guaran-dang-tee you that if Tech can get through the majority of their conference record unscathed AND Houston goes undefeated the rest of the way, good ole Kirby is going to make sure Houston is ranked to give Tech another data point to boost their strength of schedule.

Just sayin’

10 Likes

the committee is EXTREMELY critical of schedule…
the committee openly says we are the best g5…they dont see us as an extension of the p5 but they see us as levels above the other g5

the committee will rank the aac at #23 at 8-0, which will be drastically lower than the other polls (which would be around 15/16) and say its schedule

but a few years back, the committee didnt give an undefeated marshall (c-usa like unt) a ranking till they were 10-0 at #25

we are only 3 weeks in and only 2 games on unt schedule have a winning record, and 1 of those lost to an fcs…
fau and la tech will be the only games on their schedule not seen as horrible

unt needs a 2 loss AAC champ & a sdsu/boise to get a second loss

Can you explain then, why over the past few years, the committee has consistently ranked AAC teams lower than what they were in the AP and Coaches poll but last year ranked Boise State higher than those polls two straight weeks?

I see nothing from the CFP committee’s past that says they favor AAC schools over other G5 schools.

[quote=“pesik, post:57, topic:13919”]
we are only 4 weeks in and only 2 games on unt schedule have a winning record, and 1 of those lost to an fcs…
[/quote] FIFY

Don’t look now but we only have 2 teams on our schedule with a winning record after 4 weeks and TWO of Memphis’ wins are against FCS.

I stand by the fact that the CFP will never give us positive credit even if Texas Tech won the Big12. You don’t get positive credit for losing badly to a good team. It mostly comes down to Arizona and Arkansas. If Arizona can finish .500 in the PAC12 and Arkansas finishes at the bottom of the SEC, then UH gets the edge. If both Arkansas and Arizona finish with similar records, the voters will consider UNT’s beat down on the road against Arkansas has more value than UH’s beat down of Arizona at home.

Maybe be the reason the AAC is ranked lower is because we just aren’t that good. Novel idea but it certainly explains things very simply. (For most)

1. memphis played 1 fcs not 2…south alabama and goergia state are sunbelt teams, not sure which one you thought was fcs
  2. boise has built a reputation for themselves that exceed all, using boise as a comparison point for unt is misguided

“I see nothing from the CFP committee’s past that says they favor AAC schools over other G5 schools.”

ill provide it for you

this article: in 2014 the committee gives a briefing on where everyone stands in g5 race…they say 11-0 marshall (c-usa) shouldn’t be ranked, but close and so is memphis

memphis was 7-3, marshall was 11-0…they were having debates between these 2
(i cant find the specific article but post season the committee said the bowl was between memphis and boise…marshall was 12-1 at that point.)

1. 2017:
    10-2 memphis #20
    10-2 sdsu unranked (had a win over top 15 stanford)

2. 2016 (final)
    10-3 navy ranked
    10-3 temple ranked
    10-3 sdsu (not ranked)
    10-3 wku unranked

3. 2016 week 11
    9-2 houston 20
    11-0 wmu 21

4. 2015
    9-2 navy ranked
    10-3 temple ranked
    11-2 wku unranked
    10-3 sdsu unranked

in the history of the cfp commitee, not counting boise, no other team from another g5 conference with identical records have ranked higher the an aac team

what evidence do you have saying otherwise

1 Like