With all things considered... Is an NY6 out of reach now?

We’re 100 posts into this thread and have completely lost sight of the original question.

Is a NY6 out of reach now?

The question wasn’t will we go to a NY6, or will we dominate everyone on our schedule, or will be put a beat down on Alabama in the national championship game.

The question was, is a NY6 game still possible.

The answer is, yes it is. We are 4-1, and in solid control of our division. What it takes for us to get to a NY6 game is winning our division and then winning the CCG. Both are still very much possible, so a NY6 is not out of reach. Is it guaranteed? Obviously not. Is it likely? I wouldn’t say that. But we all know that anything is possible and it’s looking increasingly likely to me that we’ll win the west. And once we get that matchup with UCF, anything is possible. Let’s just enjoy the ride one game at a time.

7 Likes

We have to win the conference To be ranked because our conference sucks. No mystery there.

Our conference dosent “suck”. We have the best G5 conference, by far, in the country, and our top teams (UCF, USF, Cincy, Houston) can play and beat anybody. Our champ goes to the NY6.
Watch what you say and how you say it.

6 Likes

It’s the “highest ranked G5 conference champion” , not highest ranked G5 conference champion in the top 25. We can win the conference, be ranked 27th and still be in it.

3 Likes

Possible—very much so
Probable—not likely unless secondary and tackling vastly improve

We are NOT in a preferred P5 conference which sucks and the teams we play have no interest to some of us which sucks. If you like those things good for you. Please call em as you see em and I will do the same.

I think we are saying the same thing

Bear are you saying the Mountain West is better than the AAC?

1 Like

No sir.

Good point. Stars aligned

NO A NY6 bowl is not impossible. Since we don’t control our own destiny any further input on the subject is futile. The only absolute in CFB is that Alabama will win every game in the first half making their games virtually unwatchable even for the students there just to get wasted.

We don’t?

If we finish 12-1, that means we’ll have beaten an AAC East champ that was probably ranked.

Our loss will be to Texas Tech.

Boise, should they finish 12-1, would be our major competition. Their schedule is weaker.

And they lost to Oklahoma St, which Tech bludgeoned in Stillwater.

It’s all in front of us. One game at a time. No hiccups.

4 Likes

This is about the Jekyll and Hyde game we played, but the end talks about our shot to NY6.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.thecomeback.com/ncaa/houston-showed-why-you-should-and-should-not-forget-about-them-in-the-group-of-five.html

Win out and we are in.
That said, this team is likely to lose a game or two down the stretch.

1 Like

Mathematically sure, we control our own destiny for ny6 but has anyone seen anything outside of the Arizona game to suggest we aren’t going to lose at least one more game, probably two more? And if we lose a game or two it’s going to be more about us playing lousy than our opponent playing well, USF being a possible exception.

Let’s win a conference game on the road, something the AAC West seems incapable of doing this year, before we start talking about ny6.

Some history for hope though. Boise lost 2 games, made ny6, and won the Fiesta Bowl.

3 Likes

Well said Dan. I agree on every point.

1 Like

Let me take a more bullish outlook: have you seen anything from the remaining opponents that makes you think they are in any better shape than UH? UCF in the Championship game is where I would be most concerned with being a big underdog at this point but it is early and their toughest tests are coming up. USF / Temple won’t be easy but at least they are at home and USF has struggled to keep their undefeated record while Temple is hard to figure out. Every team can trip up their opponent in the AAC just like other conferences (Mich St vs. Northwestern, Arizona vs. Cal, etc.). This is not the AAC West from 2015 so I choose to be optimistic for now.

3 Likes

No.

4 Likes

Dave that’s a good take I respect and I hope you are right. I lean toward us laying an absolute egg on the road, regardless of opponent, a la Tulsa 2017, SMU 2016, UCONN 2015. UCONN had several extenuating circumstances and was followed up by the one of the best 3 game stretches in recent program history. But SMU 2016 and Tulsa 2017, what team was that? Unrecognizable. Hard to watch.
I hope we kill that curse this year.

He would rather watch Baylor play TCU than USF play Cincinnati. Not sure if it’s a distance thing or a prestige thing. If it’s a distance thing then he would really love watching Rice play TSU and if it’s a prestige thing then he just prefers to watch what ESPN tells him he should watch.