Would we give Bryson a shot?

Simple topic: Wouldn’t it be worth it to give Bryson a shot this spring?

2 Likes

Yes. Everybody should get a shot at qb

1 Like

We absolutely should…personally I think he is better than Tune…but I don’t think anyone can make an argument that he is worse than Holgerson Junior.

8 Likes

I really hope so, he has been quite ever since he came on campus. I hope we hear something from the coaches this spring. I can’t bear another quite spring. They HAVE to hype up the fan base before the season after last year’s debacle.

1 Like

When we played Cincy Bryson had that bomb for a TD, defense woke up because the offense did, 3 and out, punt to us, and we trot out not Bryson at QB. What were we doing? What were we thinking? The whole season was a microcosm of that Bryson completion Bryson bench. Sometimes for Logan are you freaking kidding me? YES Bryson deserves a shot at QB but he won’t get it because if he didn’t last year he certainly won’t this year. I’d enter the portal if I were him and wanted to truly play QB.

3 Likes

In all seriousness, what are you basing this on? That one TD pass he threw was really nice. He also hasn’t had to make a single read through a progession, his release was pretty slow, he didn’t look very comfortable in his brief spots in the pocket, and that fumble he had might have been the worst play by a UH QB in a few years. I’m not saying he couldn’t be a capable QB with enough reps and if the staff wants to give him a shot, great. But there’s not much to indicate he’d be successful. Young Holgo also had a long bomb for a TD against UCONN.

This isn’t a bash Bryson post either. I like him in his role and he seems like a great teammate. But I also trust the coaches to an extent unless I have reason not to.

5 Likes

That double forward pass against UTTech sealed it for me ;). Honestly though, everyone seems unproven to me…writing anyone off who has a chance of being a decent QB is wrong in my opinion, we only have like 3 on the roster right now.

Edit: and I don’t trust the coaches to make the right decisions. Not sure why anyone does.

3 Likes

We UH fans are enamored with excitement. Its like we know we’re doomed so we lurch for whatever creates chaos. We used to say you could never recruit run blockers to UH. We had to throw 55 times per game. There’s this sense that because Bryson is fast we want to keep trying him at QB. The undertone is we can’t win without a scrambler. Maybe that’s true. I don’t think it’ll be Bryson though.

3 Likes

Dana’s got a very good historical track record with QBs (and with respect to coaching generally) prior to this past season, though of course it’s fair to second guess him, especially after last season. Some of his clock management last year was inconceivably bad.

But based on what I’ve seen in Bryson’s 9 career passing attempts I don’t see any reason to second guess Dana (plus Major and Kendal for that matter) if he thinks Bryson’s not really suited to play QB at this level, especially given that he has a larger set of data to evaluate from practice.

3 Likes

Usually when a backup QB lights it up in practice that stuff leaks out. I never once heard that about Bryson. I do see great athletic talent in him however.

1 Like

Bryson was never the backup…holgy jr was

1 Like

I meant not a starter.

1 Like

I recall a similar question being asked about Ward. These things normally work themselves out.

2 Likes

No, Tune is our QB.

2 Likes

So far, Bryson has not shown he’s an FBS QB and is not being considered for that position. Let it go.

1 Like

Bryson isn’t given meaningful QB reps in practice under CDH, just trick plays and special packages. CDH said this multiple times last year, it was his excuse for putting junior in.

1 Like

Based on his flubs in ST at WR and QB this past season I do not think Smith needs any more on his plate.

2 Likes

What makes you think Bryson wants to play quarterback still? Look at what his buddy Greg Ward Jr. is doing in the NFL right now at receiver. I think Bryson knows his best chance of making it to the next level is by working on his craft at receiver/special teams over these next couple years. With that said, I feel that our offense must find someone to run the wildcat formation next year. The wildcat has been somewhat useless for us the last few years since we have had dual threat quarterbacks but now that we are going more of a pro style I know a wildcat formation would be great to have in our bag of tricks. I have no reason as to why this is but Bryson was simply non effective when he came in at quarterback to run the wildcat this past year. Take it with a grain of salt because he only had 17 carries but his average rush was only 2.9 yards a carry. For comparison, Marquez Stevenson went for 9.9 yards a carry (on reverse plays). And yea, that was an incredibly deep bomb Bryson threw on that one play but I also remember us calling up another pass play with him and it went right out of the back of his hand for a turnover.

2 Likes

Cool. Make way for a 310 lb QB!!

1 Like

So if I were head coach, I would put him in the QB room and give him his shot. But I’m not the head coach. The actual head coach would have to change his mind about how to use Bryson for him to have a shot at QB.

2 Likes