Your Head Coach?

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::smiley:.

I prooread everthing.

6 Likes

Wait and see. I knew this past season would be really unusual and we would have interruptions, distractions, last minute cancellation, players forced to sit games because of COVID and possibly not even play out the season. Knowing it would be a once in a lifetime kind of weird season, I decided in advance that I would throw it out as an anomaly. I decided I wouldn’t judge Dana based on the results whether we did well or poorly. There just wasn’t any way to tell how much the circumstances affected us and our opponent each week, and no coach could be reasonably expected to be prepared for a black swan season. I know I personally wouldn’t be able to stay focused not knowing if I would even play any of the remaining games. So I’m only considering his first season, which isn’t necessarily a good indicator of how successful a coach will be. This season I will be looking to see results.

2 Likes

Welcome to the board. He sucks at coaching, recruiting & hyping.

4 Likes

Well dang what else is there?

We’ll know a lot more after this season. The team, program, and results are all his now. No more blaming Herman and redshirts and youth.

2 Likes

You left out injuries. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

We have the template for a great coach at U of H.
Be an innovative, imaginative offensive mind.
Be an efficient administrator and bring in a talented staff
Put a good face forward with the media
Be a tireless recruiter
Run well organized practices
Prepare a winning strategy for game plans offensively and defensively
Many years ago when I was more active and engaged with the program I saw how these pieces can come together and bring success.
I no longer have that luxury and therefore can’t comment on our present situation. I am just drawing on some observations, conversations and personal experiences from long ago and far away of what worked on Cullen Blvd when we had so much less in physical and financial resources.

1 Like

Charles Sims.

2 Likes

Pretty awesome what an incredible specimen of a man that KState mask fan is.

He admits that it took him a while to roll into the HC role after being an OC. It was obvious to me he was stuck in OC role his first several years at WVU and that isn’t abnormal considering what a good OC he was at Houston and OSU before ending up at WVU in a very uncomfortable situation that good friend Oliver Luck put him in with the existing HC still in place.

He is definitely UH’s HC and not our OC.

He seemed a bit PO’d at the world and some media types his first year. I believe he didn’t understand what he had taken over and how weak the program was versus what he had anticipated and the fall we had taken since our NY6 Peach Bowl win over FSU just three years earlier. At least that is my belief. He became far more comfortable and relaxed this past year with either some talking to him about the vibes he was giving off or just accepting we were in highly unusual times with Covid and it is best to remain flexible.

He isn’t a perfect fit on all fronts, but who has been (e.g. Major, Herman, Tony, Sumlin, Briles, Dimel, etc.) over the years? Nobody! They all had issues and 50% were successful and the other half not so much. We’re due for another successful HC run.

3 Likes

This Dude of WV sure has been on this site a lot recently

Snowskier: You must be young. Go back further and you will find the template for our success.

Pardee was an excellent choice after Yeoman. He transformed our identity in one season and by doing so, in my opinion, set the stage for us to be competitive decades in the future. He was a visionary.

3 Likes

Unfotunately for us the oilers poached him

1 Like

I waa young but i remember the media was very anti run and shoot

What stage? Even if we counted the 1990 season, which was John Jenkins first as HC, UH proceeded to go 4-11-1 until Art Briles 2006 team went 10-4. The program fell off the stage under Helton and Dimel.

If anyone set the stage for us to be competitive for years thereafter, it was Art Briles, followed by Sumlin, and short lived success under Levine and Herman.

Lol.

Pardee took an eroding running attack (1-10) and transformed a scandal-plagued program overnight into a passing attack that would become the envy of the country.

He also built the program back to enjoy its first national ranking in 8 years.

I’m not disparaging Briles at UH. What he did was instrumental in regards to where we are.

But Pardee invented the Houston Air Attack. And he did it from scratch. I thank him for giving us the identity of a passing school. Pretty amazing for a program known for its own revolutionary running game.

4 Likes

Pardee was a very good coach. CBY was a championship coach, who left great talent that was maturing: Ware, Kimble Anders, Spoon, Ed Thomas
. We were starting freshman OL in 1986 due to injuries
. The OL became road graders by 88-89 (Banes, Forsyth
). The D had Lathan, Johnny Jackson, et al. Had CBY not been unfairly run off, the Veer would have again been a force. Enjoyed the R and S years, especially beating the evil empire 4 of 5 years.

2 Likes

I agree with Pardee’s accomplishments. Few would question his importance to the program at the time. However, fifteen years passed between Pardee leaving and Briles entrance. Setting the stage would imply a chain of accomplishments from one HC to another. That didn’t happen. Helton unwisely dumped the “gimmick” offense. Biggest mistake of his career. He should have kept the offense and concentrated on improving the defense. Had he done so, it’s possible that Helton’s W/L record at UH would have reversed.

Pardee didn’t invent the R&S. Mouse Davis popularized the Glenn Ellison offense and used it with success at Portland State, and brought it to the Houston Gamblers while Pardee was HC. I give Pardee credit for bringing us out of the abyss in Yeoman’s waning years as HC and wished he remained at UH but the Oilers offer was too good to turn down.